What are Chiba's best films? recomendations?

Guest waywardsage

Stuntman Jules

Street Fighter is classic, but his collaborations with Kinji Fukasaku are some of his finest work as an actor and best films he was in to me, like Katsutoshi Otomo, his batshit insane sociopathic yakuza heir freak in the second Battles Without Honor and Humanity film. Sadly he does not reprise the role in the final segment, Jo Shishido takes over playing a grizzled, pathetic alcoholic degeneration of the character who has not, however, lost his keen troublemaking abilities. I wonder if he didn't play the role because he was unavailable/busy or if Fukasaku wanted a different actor to play a more mellowed out version of the character.

His Yagyu Jubei character in Fukasaku's Yagyu Clan Conspiracy and Samurai Reincarnation/Makai Tensho is also ace. It's funny that guy was literally there at Kinji's beginning (his first short film Vigilante in the Funky Hat) and end (Battle Royale II). The only real good thing Battle Royale II really did for the BR mythos is now I mentally picture Sonny Chiba running around all pissed off in the 70s blowing stuff up when Shinji Mimura reminisces about him in the first.

Shogun's Ninja and Roaring Fire, both by sleazemeiser Norifumi Suzuki are boss as well.

I personally adore Legend of the Eight Samurai. Probably my personal favorite 80s Fukasaku movie, it's like a wacko anarchic deconstruction of Japan's folk stories. It's like an anti-samurai film with blaring English pop and all that, it has more in common with the Western fantasy flicks made around the same time like Conan the Barbarian and Ladyhawke than the ethereal samurai films of decades past and shows Fukasaku's disdain for their traditionalism.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Street Fighter is classic, but his collaborations with Kinji Fukasaku are some of his finest work as an actor and best films he was in to me, like Katsutoshi Otomo, his batshit insane sociopathic yakuza heir freak in the second Battles Without Honor and Humanity film. Sadly he does not reprise the role in the final segment, Jo Shishido takes over playing a grizzled, pathetic alcoholic degeneration of the character who has not, however, lost his keen troublemaking abilities. I wonder if he didn't play the role because he was unavailable/busy or if Fukasaku wanted a different actor to play a more mellowed out version of the character.

Yeah I loved him part 2 of the yakuza papers, he was one crazy-ball scratchen-doesn't give a shit mfer, I'd imagine it was scheduling conflicts that kept him from returning.

I personally adore Legend of the Eight Samurai. Probably my personal favorite 80s Fukasaku movie, it's like a wacko anarchic deconstruction of Japan's folk stories. It's like an anti-samurai film with blaring English pop and all that, it has more in common with the Western fantasy flicks made around the same time like Conan the Barbarian and Ladyhawke than the ethereal samurai films of decades past and shows Fukasaku's disdain for their traditionalism.

And is Sanada ever ripped in this movie, he's as ripped as Bruce Lee, great to see him still acting.

Moving slightly off topic to a request....(sorry!)

One of my favs, Soul of Chiba has a rather crazy storyline but also some very very cool fighting. Just wondering if anyone has seen the japanese VHS version and knows if it is the same print as the Rarescope release (4:3 ratio) or whether it is widescreen (1.85:1 or even 2.35:1)

It's for sale at Yahoo auctions, but it doesn't have any aspect ratio mentioned. I know a large amount of Toei and other Japanese stuff is released in it's original aspect ratio, but as this has a western CBS/FOX on the cover lends me to think that it's been 'Pan&Scanned' to the max! Possibly the same print as the rarescope release.

Would be great to see this film in its full WS glory, rather than a cropped eng dub and an almost unwatchable japanese cropped print!

Yahoo auctions:-

Soul of Chiba 1

Soul of Chiba 2

Moving slightly off topic to a request....(sorry!)

One of my favs, Soul of Chiba has a rather crazy storyline but also some very very cool fighting. Just wondering if anyone has seen the japanese VHS version and knows if it is the same print as the Rarescope release (4:3 ratio) or whether it is widescreen (1.85:1 or even 2.35:1)

It's for sale at Yahoo auctions, but it doesn't have any aspect ratio mentioned. I know a large amount of Toei and other Japanese stuff is released in it's original aspect ratio, but as this has a western CBS/FOX on the cover lends me to think that it's been 'Pan&Scanned' to the max! Possibly the same print as the rarescope release.

Would be great to see this film in its full WS glory, rather than a cropped eng dub and an almost unwatchable japanese cropped print!

Yahoo auctions:-

Soul of Chiba 1

Soul of Chiba 2

I'd love to see this in WS, this has got to be one of my favorite movies that I just recently watched, let us know if you find anything I'd be on it!

I happened upon this pic the other night, Chiba and the Mothra twins!

chiba-mothratwins.jpg

With regards to a WS version of Soul of Chiba:

socr.jpg

Got my hands on a copy of the VHS and sadly as expected, it is full screen :cry:

The ratio is even worse than the the Rarescope DVD:

soccomp.png

Oh well....there is always the chance that someone will unearth it one day!

Late reply and didn't read through every post, but picking a favorite Chiba film is tough, he has so many. Here is my narrow list Chiba favs.

Leads:

The Executioner

The Street Fighter

Doberman Cop

Killing Machine

Isn't the lead:

Battles Without Honor & Humanity 2: Deathmatch in Hiroshima

Fall of Ako Castle

YAGYU CLAN CONSPIRACY tv series is possibly the best thing Chiba ever did, IMO.

I'm watching the first season now and I might have to agree with this statement, I can't believe how great the production values are, better than most of Chiba's movies.

Twas time to bump this thread:wink:

Archived