What are Chiba's best films? recomendations?

Guest waywardsage

In the space of a week i've picked up the Streetfighter 3 disc set, the Sonny Chiba Collection Vol1 and Vol2. So far had time for The Killing Machine-most people on here have seen it and spoken at great length about it. It's a beautiful film and so gruesomely depicts the aftermath of WWII in Japan. Awesome story, great acting and Chiba going ballistic. For the seven quid i paid you get that and Yakuza Deka and Yakuza Deka:The Assassin. Same for the other two 3 disc sets, from amazon. Oh, and i threw on Golgo 13 last night but only had time for twenty minutes. Was most pleasantly surprised to see Sue Shiomi taking no prisoners in that, too.

On a sidenote, anyone know if they ever released soundtracks for some of these bad boys?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know about a film which was released to theaters in Japan in 2007, called "OYAJI" ("Old Man")?

"Titled Oyaji - which translates basically as Old Man - this represents a major change of pace for how we're used to seeing the former Street Fighter star on this side of the ocean, with Chiba taking on a straight dramatic role as the titular old man in this drama about a family struck by tragedy. Well, it's a change of pace until he starts beating guys with a shovel and metal pipe but I'd say calling this an action film by any definition would be a significant stretch."

http://twitchfilm.net/news/2007/08/website-and-trailer-for-oyaji-with-sonny-chiba.php

This link below is a article on the film from Japan Times online

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ff20070824a3.html

Anybody seen it or got a copy of it? It sounds good

I think there was a thread on OYAJI a page or two back, I don't think anyone got any info for the film beyond what you gave.

Does anyone know about Chiba's brother? I was telling my sushi guy about the Kage No Gundan series, he was watching this stuff on tv in Japan back in the day and can't believe I'm watching it now, he was saying Chiba's brother looked a lot like Chiba but was a bit skinnier, he said he was usually behind the scenes but made apperances on Sonny's tv shows, I never knew.

Start watching the second season of Kage No Gundan, loved the secret Iga death technique!

Thanks to Kung Fu Bob I know that Chiba's brother was in the first Street Fighter movie Sonny throws him out of the window!! Aside from that he was in bit parts but did have a strarring role in POWER OF AKIDO which Sonny has a part in as well.

I'm sure others will be able to provide more details.

Thanks to Kung Fu Bob I know that Chiba's brother was in the first Street Fighter movie Sonny throws him out of the window!! Aside from that he was in bit parts but did have a starring role in POWER OF AKIDO which Sonny has a part in as well.

I'm sure others will be able to provide more details.

Yeah, he turns up in a few of Chiba's flicks: The Killing Machine, I think is another, and Champion of Death.

Just watched the best episode of Shadow Warriors yet!

Does anyone have a list of names of Chiba's stunt team/students?

Does anyone have a list of names of Chiba's stunt team/students?

Here is a wiki site that has a ton of past and present names.

JAC (now JAE)

I remember stumbilng across a Japanese site a while ago with loads of JAC info on it, but I can't find it again. Will keep looking.....:bigsmile:

Thanks Guy for the link, do you know the main Iga ninja girl's name in Shadow Warriors? What else has she been in?

Thanks Guy for the link, do you know the main Iga ninja girl's name in Shadow Warriors? What else has she been in?

If you're talking about this actress (I'm pretty sure she's the main Iga ninja) :

naomi-hase.jpg

Her name is Naomi Hase (長谷直美). Pop singer and in lots of TV from mid 70's to early 90s. Not a lot of films.

If you're talking about this actress (I'm pretty sure she's the main Iga ninja) :

naomi-hase.jpg

Her name is Naomi Hase (長谷直美). Pop singer and in lots of TV from mid 70's to early 90s. Not a lot of films.

I'm talking about the girl standing on her head at the end credits, not sure if it's the hair throwing me off but this pic doesn't look like her though searching for her name I came up with an awesome find, I take it all these old Japanese actresses and actors also had singing careers, Sue Shinomi is down the page!!!!! :nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

http://heliboy.cms.am/xx/modules/xootube/user.php?uname=jisaku1610&id=6FDZDsDHkYA

Neon Samurai

My Top-5 in no particular order:

Golgo 13: Assignment Kowloon: Simply put, Sonny WAS Duke Togo and this is a must see for that alone.

The Street Fighter: No explanation needed.

The Bodyguard US version: Aaron Banks singing Chiba's praises, Chiba killing a man with his own severed arm, the airplane fight, the press conference, (which Mel Gibson clearly stole in Ransom,) and too many cool moments to keep track. Viva Chiba!

The Killing Machine: Don't Fuck With Sonny Chiba! Especially if you're a duck!

Executioners 2: Karate Inferno: There wasn't much karate and no reference to an inferno but who cares? This was simply the most crazed movie I have ever seen and the laughs were constant. Sue Shiomi in the Chun-Li outfit alone would weaken the knees of any man.

Which episode?

Ah sorry bro missed this, it was "beauty in the night" on the second volume, episode 14, had some kind of tournament with white hair guys in charge, I have a lot to go but it keeps getting better and better.

Also going through the sister street fighters, I saw the fisrt one but not the other 3, Kurata is baaaadass in the 2nd one, him and that brown leather coat:xd:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Also going through the sister street fighters, I saw the fisrt one but not the other 3, Kurata is baaaadass in the 2nd one, him and that brown leather coat:xd:

Tosh, I can't remember if it was in SISTER STREETFIGHTER 2 or 3, but there's a scene at a dinner table where the bad guys are celebrating with Kurata. Suddenly he just goes karate crazy on some nearby guests and table decorations! It's pretty awesome! :xd: If that's the scene you were talking about, I'm not surprised. If you didn't see this scene yet... you're going to freaking love it! :bigsmile: Gorhama and I were both geeking out about this bit a couple months ago.

Tosh, I can't remember if it was in SISTER STREETFIGHTER 2 or 3, but there's a scene at a dinner table where the bad guys are celebrating with Kurata. Suddenly he just goes karate crazy on some nearby guests and table decorations! It's pretty awesome! :xd: If that's the scene you were talking about, I'm not surprised. If you didn't see this scene yet... you're going to freaking love it! :bigsmile: Gorhama and I were both geeking out about this bit a couple months ago.

I couldn't agree more!!! It's one of my favorite Kurata scenes in the movie!!

I don't understand why you guys go crazy for this Sonny Chiba guy, I really don't.

His films are just awful.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I don't understand why you guys go crazy for this Sonny Chiba guy, I really don't.

His films are just awful.

Did ya ever wonder what your noggin would look like getting punched in X-Ray mode? :xd:

Did ya ever wonder what your noggin would look like getting punched in X-Ray mode? :xd:

:xd:

Sorry, bro, couldn't resist!!

Yeah, that Kurata-San moment in SSF3 is awesome! Talk about fast - and that jacket he had on - totally rad!

Return of the Street Fighter Sonny Chiba punching villain so hard in the back of the head that his eyeballs literally pop out!! Another villain getting his genitalia ripped off in a fight.

Also in his fight sceen Chiba uses a combination of martial arts techniques (including more judo this time) love the fight sceen on top of mountain martial arts weapon-scenes

I'll have to watch the 3rd SSF tonight. I'm on a Sue Shiomi kick lately, just watched the turning episode on Shadow Warriors 2 where................................... Edited for spoilers...................., awesome stuff.

I wonder if her and Chiba had a thing going in their personal lives.

Jesse Smooth

I finally have my copy of Shihomi's last film Second is A Christian. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'll have to watch the 3rd SSF tonight. I'm on a Sue Shiomi kick lately, just watched the turning episode on Shadow Warriors 2 where she finds out ...

Dude! That's a major spoiler for those that haven't seen it yet (but should watch it immediately! LOL). You should edit that! :ooh:

I wonder if her and Chiba had a thing going in their personal lives.

She was really young when he started mentoring her, only a few years older than his daughter I think, so I hope not. :squigglemouth: Chiba, keep your "Sonny" to yourself! :xd:

I finally have my copy of Shihomi's last film Second is A Christian. Haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

It's a fun movie. Mostly a drama with comedy. I just want to warn you that it's only got a minimal amount of action though, and it's portrayed much more realistically (less exciting and OTT) than her usual fare. If you know that going in, I think you'll enjoy it a lot more than if you had big action expectations. Did I mention you get to see her in a very sexy evening dress and in lingerie? Ooo la la! :tongue:

Dude! That's a major spoiler for those that haven't seen it yet (but should watch it immediately! LOL). You should edit that! :ooh:

Ah ya, I'll do that.

She was really young when he started mentoring her, only a few years older than his daughter I think, so I hope not. :squigglemouth: Chiba, keep your "Sonny" to yourself! :xd:

Oh I didn't realize he was that much older over her, of course that didn't stop Pops and Kara Hui:angel:hell can you blame him:xd:. After looking there was only a 15-16 year difference between them age wise, I don't believe most Asian counties puts so much emphasis on age as we do in the West. Anyway it was just a thought after seeing them romantically inclined in SW.

Jesse Smooth

It's a fun movie. Mostly a drama with comedy. I just want to warn you that it's only got a minimal amount of action though, and it's portrayed much more realistically (less exciting and OTT) than her usual fare. If you know that going in, I think you'll enjoy it a lot more than if you had big action expectations. Did I mention you get to see her in a very sexy evening dress and in lingerie? Ooo la la! :tongue:

Well then, I must see this...:nerd:

Archived