What are Chiba's best films? recomendations?

Guest waywardsage

http://www.amazon.com/Sonny-Chiba-4-Film-Set/dp/B002WNU0OE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263149539&sr=1-2

Looks like a set is coming out with Doberman Cop! I don't know if this unsubbed or dubbed, but I hope we get it in Japanese with English subtitles.

Just heard from First Look that Machine Gun Dragon, Fighting Fist, Doberman Cop will be in original uncut Japanese with English subs. Soul Of Bruce Lee will be dubbed. I'm waiting to hear back about picture quality. Will let folks know.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't care for Makai Tensho even though Wakayama Tomisaburo was in it.

I love Shogun's Shadow, Shogun's Samurai and Shogun's Ninja.

The Yagyu Conspiracies movie and tv series are classics. The tv series

is better than the movie. Chiba played in so many movies it's hard to say.

I love all the actors in the JAC.

• Administrator
I love Shogun's Shadow, Shogun's Samurai and Shogun's Ninja.

The Yagyu Conspiracies movie and tv series are classics. The tv series

is better than the movie. Chiba played in so many movies it's hard to say.

I love all the actors in the JAC.

The first time I saw SHOGUN'S SHADOW I was surprised when the first guy got riddled with arrows. I thought- oh, okay, this movie's not just playing around!

A rare instance when a series is better than the film it's based on, but I have to agree Klepto. Terrefic show!

I just watched the uncut version of KARATE WARRIORS last night. Man, I really dig that movie. The scene on the dock where Chiba-san is fighting the yakuza is classic. The wind is blowing feathers through the scene, it's shot in slow-motion, but speeded back up for the impact of his strikes (same effect that was used in SOUL OF CHIBA), while that crazy rattle sound plays on the soundtrack. The interaction between Sonny and the samurai's son is really funny too. For those that haven't seen it, I highly recommend this one. Some nice karate fights, a good cast, and a Yojimbo-like plot.

i would recommend The first two StreetFighters(The StreetFighter & Return of the StreetFighter) but i would say the third(The StreetFighters Last Revenge) is a disappointment after the first two but the Oyama trilogy(Karate Bullfighter aka Champion of Death, Karate Bearfighter & Karate for Life) plays out great all the way. Also think the Killing Machine is a great story.

The first time I saw SHOGUN'S SHADOW I was surprised when the first guy got riddled with arrows. I thought- oh, okay, this movie's not just playing around!

A rare instance when a series is better than the film it's based on, but I have to agree Klepto. Terrefic show!

I just watched the uncut version of KARATE WARRIORS last night. Man, I really dig that movie. The scene on the dock where Chiba-san is fighting the yakuza is classic. The wind is blowing feathers through the scene, it's shot in slow-motion, but speeded back up for the impact of his strikes (same effect that was used in SOUL OF CHIBA), while that crazy rattle sound plays on the soundtrack. The interaction between Sonny and the samurai's son is really funny too. For those that haven't seen it, I highly recommend this one. Some nice karate fights, a good cast, and a Yojimbo-like plot.

Great point Bob I would say Chiba not only looks awesome but some of the better shot fight scenes of his career in KARATE WARRIORS!! I like the interaction between Chiba-san and the samurai's son as well. I love when Chiba steals a bite of food from the boy while protecting him and fighting on the dock.

I have SHOGUN'S SHADOW and SHOGUN NINJA coming my way along with SHADOW WARRIORS season one. To say that I'm excited is the understand of the very short year so far!!

• Administrator
the Oyama trilogy(Karate Bullfighter aka Champion of Death, Karate Bearfighter & Karate for Life) plays out great all the way. Also think the Killing Machine is a great story.

A lot of people find the third one dissapointing. I think I've only watched this one all the way through once, and watched that opening a dozen times. I'm going to check this one out again.

Great point Bob I would say Chiba not only looks awesome but some of the better shot fight scenes of his career in KARATE WARRIORS!! I like the interaction between Chiba-san and the samurai's son as well. I love when Chiba steals a bite of food from the boy while protecting him and fighting on the dock.

I have SHOGUN'S SHADOW and SHOGUN NINJA coming my way along with SHADOW WARRIORS season one. To say that I'm excited is the understand of the very short year so far!!

True! KARATE WARRIORS' action scenes look like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA next to the epileptec cinematograpy in THE BODYGUARD! LOL

Gorhama, you are going to have no problem "keeping the Chiba up" with that package!

A lot of people find the third one dissapointing. I think I've only watched this one all the way through once, and watched that opening a dozen times. I'm going to check this one out again.

True! KARATE WARRIORS' action scenes look like LAWRENCE OF ARABIA next to the epileptec cinematograpy in THE BODYGUARD! LOL

Gorhama, you are going to have no problem "keeping the Chiba up" with that package!

I plan on Chiba-ing Up all year!! The more Chiba the better!!

Yeah, I'll join you all here in this gathering, I'm holding on HK films for a while and getting into the spirit of Mr Chiba

Awesome stuff Bengs!!

maybe this will get more notice here? this is my tribute to Sonny made special for KFB

-GRVJwpXgx4

• Administrator
maybe this will get more notice here? this is my tribute to Sonny made special for KFB

Hey jrcma, sorry it took a while to respond, but I was having computer problems so I wasn't able to actually watch the clip until a few minutes ago. I loved it! :bigsmile: I literally just posted about it on the "Chiba UP!" thread. But it certainly doesn't hurt to have it here too! :wink: Thanks again Little Brother!

Now you need to see KARATE WARRIORS, THE EXECUTIONER (1 & 2), the SHADOW WARRIORS series... :nerd:

Hey jrcma, sorry it took a while to respond, but I was having computer problems so I wasn't able to actually watch the clip until a few minutes ago. I loved it! :bigsmile: I literally just posted about it on the "Chiba UP!" thread. But it certainly doesn't hurt to have it here too! :wink: Thanks again Little Brother!

thats alright Big Brother no problem, yeah probably get more views here:wink:

Now you need to see KARATE WARRIORS, THE EXECUTIONER (1 & 2), the SHADOW WARRIORS series... :nerd:

ah thanks for the info :16_003: Big Brother:wink: i'll look for them :27:

this is a pretty cool cover only £3.86 how is Dragon Princess?

dragon_princess_karate_warriors.jpg

so is Shadow Warriors a tv series? i think i'll get the Lone Wolf & Cub tv series first there about the same price

Dragon Princess is awesome but Sonny Chiba has a cameo role in it...albeit with some great fighting. I sat on this movie for a long time, but when I finally watched it and realized Karata is in this with the Sister Street Fighter....how could I turn it off?? :tongue:

So basically I enjoyed the hell out of this movie and it's worth checking out for sure.

Don't forget, whilst you're enjoying these great Sonny Chiba films, remeber to hydrate yourself with some of jrcma's fines beverage!!!! LOL

Awesome work mate!

picture.php?albumid=1&pictureid=1863

• Administrator
thats alright Big Brother no problem, yeah probably get more views here:wink:

ah thanks for the info :16_003: Big Brother:wink: i'll look for them :27:

this is a pretty cool cover only £3.86 how is Dragon Princess?

so is Shadow Warriors a tv series? i think i'll get the Lone Wolf & Cub tv series first there about the same price

That double-bill DVD is really nice. Both films are in widescreen, English dubbed, and includes some cool trailers too.

DRAGON PRINCESS is a great little movie. Typical karate film from that period with over-the-top villains, extremely crunchy sound FX, and lots of action mayhem. As Gorhama stated, Chiba-san only has a small role in this. But the Sister Streetfighter herself- Etsuko "Sue" Shihomi is the star, along with Yasuaki Kurata. Pretty much having either of them in a film makes it worth seeing, but together? A must see!

KARATE WARRIORS is a great flick that stars Sonny Chiba, and it's definitely one of his better karate movies. Great action, including samurai stuff in modern day Japan. I think you'll really dig this story too- very Yojimbo-like.

Both of these dubbed versions are missing a few minutes from the original Japanese prints, but they're still awesome.

Yes, SHADOW WARRIORS is a TV series- and it's fantastic!

Dragon Princess is awesome but Sonny Chiba has a cameo role in it...albeit with some great fighting. I sat on this movie for a long time, but when I finally watched it and realized Karata is in this with the Sister Street Fighter....how could I turn it off?? :tongue:

just trying to sell it on the Sonny Chiba name, yes Kurata is cool he was in the first film i saw this year.

So basically I enjoyed the hell out of this movie and it's worth checking out for sure.

yeah well ive ordered so i will be checking it out.

Don't forget, whilst you're enjoying these great Sonny Chiba films, remeber to hydrate yourself with some of jrcma's fines beverage!!!! LOL

Awesome work mate!

thanks

ah its nothing really it only took a couple of minutes & i wanted it to have a bad look so its a 7up spoof lol. by the way i got the idea because gorhama in said the "Chiba up!!!!" thread "Glad to see you drank the kool aid that is Sonny Chiba!!"

That double-bill DVD is really nice. Both films are in widescreen, English dubbed, and includes some cool trailers too.

amazon were saying it was in Japanese but i thought it had English dub set look to it, but i had a look at hkfilx they gave the right info.

DRAGON PRINCESS is a great little movie. Typical karate film from that period with over-the-top villains, extremely crunchy sound FX, and lots of action mayhem. As Gorhama stated, Chiba-san only has a small role in this. But the Sister Streetfighter herself- Etsuko "Sue" Shihomi is the star, along with Yasuaki Kurata. Pretty much having either of them in a film makes it worth seeing, but together? A must see!

yeah sounds pretty good, yeah these film are know as Japanese mayhem a bit like bashers & shapes in the KFfilms.

KARATE WARRIORS is a great flick that stars Sonny Chiba, and it's definitely one of his better karate movies. Great action, including samurai stuff in modern day Japan. I think you'll really dig this story too- very Yojimbo-like.

yeah was one of your recommence so it should be pretty good.

Both of these dubbed versions are missing a few minutes from the original Japanese prints, but they're still awesome.

im sure its just fine with or without.

Yes, SHADOW WARRIORS is a TV series- and it's fantastic!

well i got the Lone Wolf & Cub vol1-3 tv series instead.

• Administrator
Is the UK set of Street Fighter films worth getting? I have all three films with English Dub only. Would it be worth it to get these better uncut remastered versions with japanese audio and english subs?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Fighter-Return-Fighters-Revenge/dp/B0007CTKY8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265251883&sr=8-5

This set is sweet indeed. The picture, audio, and subs are all top notch. But there's no difference as far as anything that was cut from the dubbed ones. I believe all of the cut footage was reinstated into the films when they were released in the mid 90's on laser disc and VHS (thanks to Quentin Tarantino), and that all of the dubbed DVDs floating around are sourced from those uncut laser discs prints. Only the old, original VHS version of THE STREETFIGHTER is the (heavily) edited print.

DeathFuMaster

Thanks Bob! I will probably end up picking that set up since Ive been eyeballing it for quite sometime. And for 13USD, its a great deal and I have wanted to see the Japanese language version for sometime.

Guest WuxiaFan
Is the UK set of Street Fighter films worth getting? I have all three films with English Dub only. Would it be worth it to get these better uncut remastered versions with japanese audio and english subs?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Fighter-Return-Fighters-Revenge/dp/B0007CTKY8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265251883&sr=8-5

That set is SUPERB! Gald you're picking it up! Let us know how you like it!

:yociexp83:

Archived