What are Chiba's best films? recomendations?

Guest waywardsage

kungfusamurai

I just watched the Blu Ray version of Killing Machine/Shorinji Kempo, and I have to say it again - I think this is the best karate movie that Chiba ever did. The other films he's done, like the Streetfighter flicks, come across as being campy, exploitation flicks. No different that Bruce Willis' Die Hard flicks, or Arnold's 80s action flicks like Commando and Predator. Not exactly oscar worthy material.

Killing Machine on the other hand was really well done, from the dramatic stand-point, the choreography (no excessively extreme close-ups as people are fighting), the acting. There's maybe one or two moments that are a nod to the more extreme films Chiba's done, like the cutting off of a guys cock and a dog running off with it. Otherwise, the film is very well put together. I wish Chiba had done more films like this when he was still doing his karate flicks. The Oyama flicks could have been done in this style, but they were made more to be like the SF films, which is too bad.

KFS

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to bump this thread because I'm jonesing for some Chiba, I'm ordering this now!

A big CHIBA UP!!!!!! this morning to my Samurai brothers:xd:

Guest WuxiaFan
Anyway, yes, the sequels are action-packed karate ass kickers too! Great stuff. Sonny also appears in the first of the SISTER STREETFIGHTER films, in a small, but cool role.

Just watched the other two STREET FIGHTER movies (Return #2 and Revenge #3) and LOVED them! I liked how some characters continued into the sequals from #1 such as karate instructor (can't remember his name), and Sister Street Fighter herself, Sue Shiomi. Next on the list is the Oyama trilogy! :bigsmile:

kungfusamurai
Just watched the other two STREET FIGHTER movies (Return #2 and Revenge #3) and LOVED them! I liked how some characters continued into the sequals from #1 such as karate instructor (can't remember his name), and Sister Street Fighter herself, Sue Shiomi. Next on the list is the Oyama trilogy! :bigsmile:

Glad to hear you liked them. If you liked all the SF movies, then you'll enjoy all of his flicks. They're almost identical, with a few standouts, like Killing Machine AKA Shorinji Kempo, which is a bit more developed story wise. The Executioner has some nice fights, and a cool appearance by Yasuaki Kurata and a very young Hiroyuki Sanada, if you haven't seen that one yet.

KFS

Just watched Karate Bull Fighter last night = Hell Yes! I can't help but compare this to some kind of Yakuza Papers, just with lots of Karate! What a pleasant surprise, not only is half the cast of Yakuza Papers in this, it has the same narrator, same composer, there for a minute I thought Fukasaku was directing!

Once again Chiba cleans house, if the next two are as good as this one I'm in for a great weekend, the bull fight itself, was, awesome! Watching Chiba beat the shit out of a bull is up there with Ti Lung's fight in Tiger Killer, can't wait for the bear fight:xd:

I'm not sure if I'll ever understand the woman rape/fall in love scenes I've seen in many Japanese movies, obviously a cultural difference I don't understand, or want to for that matter.

I ordered this from the link KFBob gave, they had it in my mailbox within the week

Just watched Karate Bull Fighter last night = Hell Yes! I can't help but compare this to some kind of Yakuza Papers, just with lots of Karate! What a pleasant surprise, not only is half the cast of Yakuza Papers in this, it has the same narrator, same composer, there for a minute I thought Fukasaku was directing!

Once again Chiba cleans house, if the next two are as good as this one I'm in for a great weekend, the bull fight itself, was, awesome! Watching Chiba beat the shit out of a bull is up there with Ti Lung's fight in Tiger Killer, can't wait for the bear fight:xd:

I'm not sure if I'll ever understand the woman rape/fall in love scenes I've seen in many Japanese movies, obviously a cultural difference I don't understand, or want to for that matter.

I ordered this from the link KFBob gave, they had it in my mailbox within the week

The other two movies are just as wild! Karate for Life is a fun flick and I think you'll enjoy it. I may watch them again this weekend.

Being a massive Chiba fan I'd been planning on watching Golgo 13: Operation Kowloon for ages, and im glad i did (...just watched it yesterday) because it's now one of my favourite Chiba films. It's slightly different in tone to his more serious exploitation/revenge films like the Street Fighter or Killing Machine, being more like a parody of the James Bond style spy films and therefore has more in common with his caper/action films like The Executioner. There are some great action set-pieces, my favourite being the 'hit' set up at the swimming pool opening near the start of the movie, where Golgo waits for the starter pistol to go off to shoot his target (....which may have influenced John Woo as it is quite similar to a scene in his movie The Killer with Chow Yun Fat). There is a good little cameo from JAC club regular Sue Shiomi as a Chinese cop, and I also have to mention that Chiba wears some insanely brilliant suits throughout the movie which no matter how ridiculous they are, he still seems to look like bad ass in them.....lol.

My other Chiba favourites are:

The Street fighter (...have got the remastered subtitled print but still prefer it with eng dub)

The Killing Machine (....probably his best all-round film in terms of acting and story)

The Executioner (.....filled with loads of humour both intentional and un-intentional,

some truly brutal action and my personal favourite Chiba film atm)

Mas Oyama trilogy (....great action and the bull/bear fights are something to behold lol)

Shogun's Samurai (....not really a Chiba starring vehicle but still a great epic-action film

from Kinji Fukasaku)

• Administrator

Hey Hanzo 87, what's up? Another fellow Chiba-san fan in the house! :bigsmile:

I was a little disappointed with GOLGO 13. It had so much potential, but didn't always go to the places it could have. Still, I enjoy it, and I agree with much of what you said, especially how Sonny wears those suits. He really seems to like showing that he can wear even the silliest hat in something, and remain a stone cold bad ass!

I'm right on board with your comments about his other films too. Other than some Shaw Brothers classics, I rarely prefer dubbed to subbed, but that is indeed the case with THE STREETFIGHTER. I own it both ways, but wish that I had a nice, remastered copy of the dubbed version (like the region 2 subbed one).

My favorites are THE STREETFIGHTER and THE KILLING MACHINE, sort of neck and neck.

Right now I'm watching my favorite karate man bust heads in the TV series THE BODYGUARD. His stuff never gets old for me. :wink:

Its a pity that BCI/Ronin went belly up as Cliff MacMillan seemed to be dedicating himself to bringing as much Chiba action to DVD as possible.

Here's a random Chiba youtube clip I found recently, the opening credits to The Gorilla 7 TV series. Enjoy!

77Mu20VJTzE

• Administrator
Its a pity that BCI/Ronin went belly up as Cliff MacMillan seemed to be dedicating himself to bringing as much Chiba action to DVD as possible.

Here's a random Chiba youtube clip I found recently, the opening credits to The Gorilla 7 TV series. Enjoy!

Yes, Cliff hooked us fans up with some awesome stuff. If you're reading this, we're still thinking of you Mr. M!

Yo man, thanks so much for posting that! :bigsmile: I never really go searching on YouTube, so I appreciate when stuff like this gets posted. I'd never seen a second of that show before, and it was a thrill to check it out. It looks like a great time. Wish it was available- even without subs I'd watch it.

I'm right on board with your comments about his other films too. Other than some Shaw Brothers classics, I rarely prefer dubbed to subbed, but that is indeed the case with THE STREETFIGHTER. I own it both ways, but wish that I had a nice, remastered copy of the dubbed version (like the region 2 subbed one).

Yeah i know what you mean man. I've got the R2 Optimum boxset of the Street Fighter trilogy aswell and the transfers are great, I just wish that they had included the eng dub with the first street fighter film at least. Like BCI did with their Sister Street Fighter box (which i also have).

My favorites are THE STREETFIGHTER and THE KILLING MACHINE, sort of neck and neck.

I love those two movies also, and they were actually my favourites until I watched the Executioner. But the thing i like best about that film is the way it combines the brutal fight scenes and exploitation stuff with the kinda wacked out funny parts (i.e. when Chiba's fighting that black guy and then gets under the bed covers with the naked woman....lol) that you're just not expecting.

Right now I'm watching my favorite karate man bust heads in the TV series THE BODYGUARD. His stuff never gets old for me. :wink:

I've heard about a few of his tv series', i already own the BCI Shadow Warriors box, but i didn't even know you could get the Bodyguard TV series on dvd. what region is it man? and do you know anywhere that it's still available?

thanks.

• Administrator
Yeah i know what you mean man. I've got the R2 Optimum boxset of the Street Fighter trilogy aswell and the transfers are great, I just wish that they had included the eng dub with the first street fighter film at least. Like BCI did with their Sister Street Fighter box (which i also have).

Exactly! The prints on these discs are so sweet, but I wish they had included the dubs. Though I was disappointed that they changed the dub voice for Tsurugi in the third film. I thought the guy that did hiv voice for the first two was perfect.

I love those two movies also, and they were actually my favourites until I watched the Executioner. But the thing i like best about that film is the way it combines the brutal fight scenes and exploitation stuff with the kinda wacked out funny parts (i.e. when Chiba's fighting that black guy and then gets under the bed covers with the naked woman....lol) that you're just not expecting.

That did make me laugh really hard. I get what you mean. I thought this one was great fun too. I love when he dips his feet in the paint before he kicks the guys in the face. And when he escapes and goes nuts at the kinky party- wow! What a cool scene.

I've heard about a few of his tv series', i already own the BCI Shadow Warriors box, but i didn't even know you could get the Bodyguard TV series on dvd. what region is it man? and do you know anywhere that it's still available?

thanks.

Sent you a PM.

More Chiba 2010!!!!!!!!!!

Finished up the Oyama trilogy, the beginning of the last one was freaking awesome, didn't care for the wrestling later, wished they would of had some better Judo in there, also the ending? They really didn't explain why the man was so important, then again the Japanesed already know, maybe they were going to make more movies? I was telling my sushi guy about watching these movies, he knew all about Oyama, he gets a kick out of the fact I watch these movies he grew up with, and he helps me pronounce the names:xd:

A big CHIBA UP on the New Year!

Jesse Smooth

Finished up the Oyama trilogy, the beginning of the last one was freaking awesome, didn't care for the wrestling later, wished they would of had some better Judo in there, also the ending? They really didn't explain why the man was so important, then again the Japanesed already know, maybe they were going to make more movies? I was telling my sushi guy about watching these movies, he knew all about Oyama, he gets a kick out of the fact I watch these movies he grew up with, and he helps me pronounce the names:xd:

I'm about to watch this again. I need to get into more Japanese flicks as they are soooo underrated.

• Administrator

Yes, the beginning of KARATE FOR LIFE is awesome! For those who haven't seen it, Oyama (Chiba-san) walks into a dojo and challenges the whole school. He is tearing through the students, so they throw oil on the floor to destroy his stance. So to avoid slipping, he fights by standing on the backs of the guys as he beats them down! :xd: Viva Chiba! Viva Chiba!:bigsmile:

I thought that the idea of showing Kyokushin Karate against wrestling was cool, but as Tosh said, it really wasn't done as well as it could have been. Still, a very entertaining film.

I was just rewatching THE BODYGUARD. The filming during the fights is a little "shaky" obnoxious, but I love the scene where Chiba-san punches through a door, grabs and breaks a guy's arm, which is then shot off, and then Sonny uses the severed limb to wing at the shooter to disarm him. Disarmed with an arm... a flying, severed arm. :xd: Only in a Sonny Chiba movie! :nerd:

Chiba Up everyone! It's the Year of the Tiger!!! :bigsmile:

Chiba Up everyone! It's the Year of the Tiger!!! :bigsmile:

it not the Tiger yet it the Ox untill the 14th February then we Exit the Ox Enter the Tiger

kungpowmaster

I still think my overall favorite Chiba of the ones I have seen, which is not all, is:

The Killing Machine.

Guest WuxiaFan
I was just rewatching THE BODYGUARD. The filming during the fights is a little "shaky" obnoxious, but I love the scene where Chiba-san punches through a door, grabs and breaks a guy's arm, which is then shot off, and then Sonny uses the severed limb to wing at the shooter to disarm him. Disarmed with an arm... a flying, severed arm. :xd: Only in a Sonny Chiba movie! :nerd:

CANNOT WAIT to watch THE BODYGUARD when I get it! :wink:

Sonny uses the severed limb to wing at the shooter to disarm him. Disarmed with an arm... a flying, severed arm. :xd: Only in a Sonny Chiba movie! :nerd:

LOL - Nicely put Bob! :bigsmile: Yup, that scene is quite simply BRILLIANT!

CANNOT WAIT to watch THE BODYGUARD when I get it! :wink:

You're gonna enjoy it buddy, it is a really great film. Hopefully you're waiting on the recently released Uncut Jap print with Eng subs! :xd:

My personal Chiba favourite is, (surprise surprise!) The StreetFighter and Return of the StreetFighter. I pretty much class them as one film, as they directly run on from each other, and I can't remember ever just watching one at a time. They have ALWAYS been viewed back to back!

Coming in next is Karate Warriors, and after that they all just fall into a massive pot of great films that I love!

• Administrator
LOL - Nicely put Bob! :bigsmile: Yup, that scene is quite simply BRILLIANT!!

Thank you. :wink:

You're gonna enjoy it buddy, it is a really great film. Hopefully you're waiting on the recently released Uncut Jap print with Eng subs! :xd:

That's the one heading his way! Wuxiafan, you're gonna love it. Some totally kick ass dude fan-subbed it so we can all enjoy it! :bigsmile: It must have been a karate angel... :angel:

My personal Chiba favourite is, (surprise surprise!) The StreetFighter and Return of the StreetFighter. I pretty much class them as one film, as they directly run on from each other, and I can't remember ever just watching one at a time. They have ALWAYS been viewed back to back!

Same here! :bigsmile: Good point about the sequel too. When that one cat goes to the office and is pounding people, one of the bad guys lets out this ridiculous scream of terror before he's even had a finger layed on him. My buddy Little Mike imitates that scream sometimes, and it always cracks me up. :xd: You guys remember that scream? :nerd: It's so funny!

Doberman Cop already has a excellent remastered version w/ subs. Same for Machine Gun Dragon. The other two films were put out already by rarescope.

http://www.amazon.com/Sonny-Chiba-4-Film-Set/dp/B002WNU0OE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1263149539&sr=1-2

Looks like a set is coming out with Doberman Cop! I don't know if this unsubbed or dubbed, but I hope we get it in Japanese with English subtitles.

I emailed the company that I think is putting this out for some details & to see if they're actually putting out the dvd or if it's really just a bootlegger who's using a similar name. I hope they have remastered prints of all four movies!

Archived