What are Chiba's best films? recomendations?

Guest waywardsage

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Hey Bob did you notice the painting towards the end? It was like Klimt's "The Kiss" but more Asian and with a Snake, to sweet!

This was a little more of a Sanada movie I think, The weapon work in this seriously lacks compared to it's HK counterpart, I think Chiba's film's work better with hand combat. Sanada at the end does a couple flips, shame they didn't go with his abilities we know he had back then, missed opportunity if you ask me, even in a movie so outrages and corny(in a good way) you can tell he was a great actor. Like to see a widescreen subbed version of this.

On the painting- sure did!

I always want more flipping, karate fights, and action, but especially from Sanada and Chiba-san. I'm like "who's this clown?" anytime it's anyone but them. XD The same thing happened in the equally corny cool MESSAGE TO SPACE- all it needed was some more hand-to hand fighting and trampoline flips.

I always thought Sanada was a good actor, but I was floored by his performance in TWILIGHT SAMURAI!

You watched it full-screen and dubbed?! :( That sucks. BCI put out a nice subbed, widescreen disc of this

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DAJIZZARIZZA
Hey Bob did you notice the painting towards the end? It was like Klimt's "The Kiss" but more Asian and with a Snake, to sweet!

This was a little more of a Sanada movie I think, The weapon work in this seriously lacks compared to it's HK counterpart, I think Chiba's film's work better with hand combat. Sanada at the end does a couple flips, shame they didn't go with his abilities we know he had back then, missed opportunity if you ask me, even in a movie so outrages and corny(in a good way) you can tell he was a great actor. Like to see a widescreen subbed version of this.

i have that version tosh,.. and you live in south fla. ??

possible 1 dvd trade :monkey18

i'm in south fla. too:p

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Yeah! Hook 'im up brother.

Yeah maybe down the line bro I have a lot on my plate at the moment, where do you live? I'm in Pompano for the moment.

Rewatched Shogun's Ninja the otherday, Chiba has some close up stares that rival Toshiro(hint KFBob, hint;)). Now this one really lets Sanada show his worth, man the guy was ripped in this movie.

You have to give Chiba credit for letting his protegees shine, as opposed to Chan's stunt team, Chiba was putting his pupils in the spotlight.

Still couldn't get passed the Jazz music which I remember hating the first time I saw this, it might be one thing if it was good jazz, but it's the most generic elevator jazz music I've heard:(

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Rewatched Shogun's Ninja the otherday, Chiba has some close up stares that rival Toshiro(hint KFBob, hint;)). Now this one really lets Sanada show his worth, man the guy was ripped in this movie.

You have to give Chiba credit for letting his protegees shine, as opposed to Chan's stunt team, Chiba was putting his pupils in the spotlight.

Still couldn't get passed the Jazz music which I remember hating the first time I saw this, it might be one thing if it was good jazz, but it's the most generic elevator jazz music I've heard:(

Agree on all counts. I remember thinking this music sucks. It's bad enough I'm watching it dubbed. But did they have to replace the music with this shit?! Then I got is subbed, and I believe I discovered that the shitty jazz music was the original score! :)

I have to say the ninja vs ninja fight scene up in the trees has to be one of the best wired ninja fights ever!

Kung Foolery

Shadow Warriors set is now dirt cheap all over ebay, you're looking at $10 including shipping.

Just a heads up for those who may not have it.

I dont, but I will soon!

Guest WuxiaFan

I just watched SISTER STREET FIGHTER last night and loved it! Sonny Chiba was awesome in this movie. He was just bad ass! I have not seen very many Chiba flix before, but I love him nonetheless. I have the UK STREET FIGHTER box set, but have not had a chance to watch them yet.:o

Also loved Chiba in WANDERING GINZA BUTTERFLY 2-SHE CAT GAMBLER with the stunningly gorgeous Meiko Kaji.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I just watched SISTER STREET FIGHTER last night and loved it! Sonny Chiba was awesome in this movie. He was just bad ass! I have not seen very many Chiba flix before, but I love him nonetheless. I have the UK STREET FIGHTER box set, but have not had a chance to watch them yet.:o

Bro! Stop typing now and go watch it. Trust me- it's awesome. ;)

Guest WuxiaFan
Bro! Stop typing now and go watch it. Trust me- it's awesome. ;)

I've got to go to bed! I'll try tomorrow night! :D

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I've got to go to bed! I'll try tomorrow night! :D

Sleeping is not more important than THE STREETFIGHTER (only sex trumps this film!). But we all have our priorities. XD

Enjoy when you finally do see it!

Sleeping is not more important than THE STREETFIGHTER (only sex trumps this film!). But we all have our priorities. XD

Good point. I just re-watched this last night. Some of the best theme music EVER!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Good point. I just re-watched this last night. Some of the best theme music EVER!!

Excellent Gorhama. Just as Dr. Kung Fu Bob prescribed- one STREETFIGHTER film per day, keeps the dldrums away! XD

Guest WuxiaFan

I did watch THE STREET FIGHTER Friday night and YES it was phenominal! I never realized how bad ass Sonny Chiba was! This was just a kick ass, bad ass movie and I absolutely loved it! I very much look forward to the next two movies. I hope they're as good.

I have the UK Optimum Releasing versions and the DVD is excellent. The transfer is crystal clear, the Japanese audio sounds excellent, and the English subs are well written and easy to read. The 3-disc box set is definately worth it.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I did watch THE STREET FIGHTER Friday night and YES it was phenominal! I never realized how bad ass Sonny Chiba was! This was just a kick ass, bad ass movie and I absolutely loved it! I very much look forward to the next two movies. I hope they're as good.

I have the UK Optimum Releasing versions and the DVD is excellent. The transfer is crystal clear, the Japanese audio sounds excellent, and the English subs are well written and easy to read. The 3-disc box set is definately worth it.

Cool man, I'm really glad you dug it! :D And I agree, the Optimum set is sweet. But, believe it or not, the STREETFIGHTER films are also awesome dubbed. There are some terrific, memorable lines in them. And the first two films give Sonny's character Terry Tsurugi a greatappropriately menacing voice (they switch it up in the third one, and I don't like the voice they used very much). You can pick these films up dubbed on eBay for super cheap. Here's some links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10-Faces-of-Sonny-Chiba-The-10-Movie-Set-DVD-20_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem4147394618QQitemZ280367810072QQptZUSQ5fDVDQ5fHDQ5fDVDQ5fBluQ5frayQQsalenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/Great-Sonny-Chiba-Street-Fighter-Movies-The-Street-Fig_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a3Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef58dd2e0QQitemZ270407684832QQptZUSQ5fDVDQ5fHDQ5fDVDQ5fBluQ5frayQQsalenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-of-Sonny-Chiba-DVD-2004-Free-Shipping_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a4Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem25550ed1bdQQitemZ160340824509QQptZUSQ5fDVDQ5fHDQ5fDVDQ5fBluQ5frayQQsalenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Street-Fighter-DVD-Martial-Arts-Sonny-Chiba_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a4Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518511d07eQQitemZ350124888190QQptZUSQ5fDVDQ5fHDQ5fDVDQ5fBluQ5frayQQsalenotsupported

Anyway, yes, the sequels are action-packed karate ass kickers too! Great stuff. Sonny also appears in the first of the SISTER STREETFIGHTER films, in a small, but cool role.

I just watched the climactic fight from KARATE BULLFIGHTER again last night. Gorhama was asking me about some Chiba-san films to watch and I told him this: "Definitely the Mas Oyama trilogy should be your next Chiba-san films (after the STREETFIGHTER flicks)- KARATE BULLFIGHTER, KARATE BEARFIGHTER, KARATE FOR LIFE. These are the best because they have a lot of hand-to-hand action- and not just against animals either!XD LOL Despite their exploitive titles, the first two each only feature one "animal duel" per movie. The end of BULLFIGHTER (also known by the bitchin' title CHAMPION OF DEATH) has Sonny take on an entire karate school (over 60 dudes) in a field of tall grass. When they show him sneaking through the brush he has an incredibly fierce look in his eyes, and everytime I watch it I always think he looks like a hungry tiger stalking his prey!" After telling him this, I just had to watch that scene again. :D His first strike, against the school's sensei, is f***ing awesome. The films in this trilogy are the "pulp fictionized" versions of stories about the famous real life karate grandmaster Mas Oyama (who was a consultant for the films, and appears in the opening credits of the first film). So if you want more after the STREETFIGHTER flicks, you can't go wrong with these.

You don't get the same kind of genius choreography from one of Chiba's fights as you get from Lau Sifu or Sammo Hung, but they have their own special thing going on. Especially because of Chiba-san's OTT expressions and animal-like energy. They are crazy brutal, and always exciting.

That does it the next Chiba-san movies I will own and watch are the Mas Oyama trilogy!! Chiba-san against 60 karate students in a field of tall grass......count me IN!!!!!! XD

Also the dubbing for THE STREETFIGHTER films is a classic as the movies themselves!! They found the perfect voice to match Chiba-sans Tsurgi!!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I think you should watch these films also:

The Executioner (74)

The Killing Machine (75)

Karate Warriors (76)

Soul of Chiba (77)

Immortal Combat (94)

Couldn't agree more. :D

Damn, I really wish I had watched the Mas Oyama trilogy now, I passed by these to many times and now I'm regretting it, what's the best version of these?

I believe I saw Champion of Death some years ago now that I think about it. Had to show a friend Soul of Chiba over the weekend, I think this is my new favorite movie. CHIBA = THE SHIT!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Damn, I really wish I had watched the Mas Oyama trilogy now, I passed by these to many times and now I'm regretting it, what's the best version of these?

Yo Tosh- this version is uncut, letterboxed, and has great subs- all 3 films for under $10.00 w/ shipping!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sonny-Chiba-Masutatsu-Oyama-Trilogy-2007-DVD-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1205Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem23001a8a87QQitemZ150325594759QQptZUSQ5fDVDQ5fHDQ5fDVDQ5fBluQ5frayQQsalenotsupported

Get them now!!!!!XD

Guest WuxiaFan

KFB - you're awesome, brother! I love you, man! XD Just ordered the set. I'll let you know how I like them!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
KFB - you're awesome, brother! I love you, man! XD Just ordered the set. I'll let you know how I like them!

Thanks Dude! I totally dig sharing my love of Sonny Chiba movies! :D Cliff and the boys really put out excellent releases of these, and they have great double-sided covers and liner notes too. Well, the individual releases did anyway- I'm not sure about this repackaged set. Tell you what, if they don't have them, I'll try to post some photos okay? Just LMK.

dionbrother

I've seen the Adness release of the amazing THE EXECUTIONER(my favorite) for 3 bucks at Big Lots!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I've seen the Adness release of the amazing THE EXECUTIONER(my favorite) for 3 bucks at Big Lots!

Great flick!

Dude, you should buy them up and sell them on the marketplace here for $7.00 each - still a great price. Then you can ship them out via "media mail" which is really cheap. You'd be doing a cool service to other forum members and making a few bucks to buy your next movie or two. ;)

Archived