A Deadly Secret

Guest HAZ

Hey,

Finally picked up "A Deadly Secret". I had avoided it because a lot of people told me it was crap. The cover looked cool, tho & so I finally gave in. I gotta say, this was a pretty compelling movie! Jason Pai Piao looks bad ass & crazy with that hair. I've never seen any other movies by the director Mou Tun Fei. He's known for some crazy movies (Men Behind The Sun). Don't know about his other Shaw output, but I wouldn't mind seeing more. Pao Piao is imprisoned for knowing "a deadly secret" & is tortured in all kinds of ways. Don't recall Wu Yuan-Chun from other films. Didn't mind him. He played a guy who was framed for a crime & is Pai Piao's cell mate. Shih Szu is hot, as usual. She has no fight scenes, tho. This movie goes from being disturbing, to (unintentionally) hilarious, to dramatic & tense in a matter of 90 minutes. The fights are standard issue - ain't nothing here you've never seen before - but I couldn't stop watching & was eager to see how the story would unfold. Recommended. Next up "Descendant From The Sun"

h

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest goliamoto

The movie is ok, but knowing who is the director I expected to see more brutal things (in fact there are a couple of disturbing moments).

I was relived it wasn't more brutal! The scene's with that dude getting a spike rammed in his butt were bad enough...There was a spooky air about the whole film, kind of like Human Lanterns. It was more like what I expected The Condemned to be like. Yeah, there were a couple plot holes, but I could live with em. I'd watch it again.

Thought this film was a bit crap when I 1st watched, when Celestial released it, perhaps because I was being spoiled by the quality of the classics being released around it?? I watched it again last year, quite a gap between viewings and had to change my opinion.

Pak Biao is superb with his mad claw techniques and those wicked Shaw's sound effects echoing off the walls of his cell. Some good training with Patrick (how do these guys choose their English names??) Wu, who is excellent throughout and superb fight choreography.

I think Wu Yuan Chun's best role is Boxer From the Temple (although the film itself is dull) just purely as a vehicle for him, 5 Superfighters is undoubtedly his best movie

Archived