Did Robert Tai choreograph Buddha's Palm and Dragon Fist?

Guest Morgoth

Guest Morgoth

I just got done watching this and there are lots of good fights. The choreography looks like Robert Tai did it and I spotted him in the movie. Can anyone confirm this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170

Love this flick! CKC and LYM play wonderfully off each other.

Can't say about RT. The credits list Shiao Po and Shiao De as action directors.

Shiao Po "might" be Suen Shu-pau aka Sun Shu Pei who was a regular in some CC & Venom flix (as well as in this film). If this is indeed the same guy then he definitely would have had some training under Tai; hence the similarities.

Shiao De is also known as Shiao De Hu aka Siu Tak-Fu who did choreography work on numerous films: http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=3551

Guest Morgoth

Thanks Teako. You are probably right. There is definitely similarities. The dance like movements, the way guys fly back after being hit, and plus I spotted Robert Tai, so I would guess he at least had a small hand in the action.

Brigadier Chow

The Ironfist is correct... This was a Taiwanese production, they credit Hsiao Po which is an AKA for Sun Shu Pao. He went to the same Taiwan opera school as Robert Tai, hence the similar choreography styles. Hsiao De is not the same person Teako said above, the man that he speaks of body of work is HK centered, not Taiwan. Incidentally the 2 also worked on Butterfly 18 and Dreaming Fist with Slender Hands.

Guest teako170
The Ironfist is correct... This was a Taiwanese production, they credit Hsiao Po which is an AKA for Sun Shu Pao. He went to the same Taiwan opera school as Robert Tai, hence the similar choreography styles. Hsiao De is not the same person Teako said above, the man that he speaks of body of work is HK centered, not Taiwan. Incidentally the 2 also worked on Butterfly 18.

BC - Do you have alt names for Hsiao De/ Shiao De?

Guest Morgoth
Curious - where did Tai appear?

In the scene where Lee I Min fights the sword and shield guys dressed in red. How can I be sure it was him? All you have to do is look at his nose:D

Brigadier Chow

No Teako, but I will try to find out if he has one as well. I think they also choreographed 7 Commandments of Kung Fu, I will confirm this when I get a chance.

Archived