Kingdom and the Beauty

Guest Maz

Kingdom and the Beauty

Starring: Leon Lai, Kelly Chen, Donnie Yen, Guo Xiaodong, Kong Zhenhai, Eric Tsang

According to Monkeypeaches.com:

The story is about an exiled warrior princess (Kelly Chen) determines to get her stolen kingdom back, with the help from a general (Donnie Yen) and a traveling warrior (Leon Lai). The cast also include Guo Xiaodong, Kong Zhenhai and Eric Tsang. Master choreographer Ching Siu-Tung (Curse of the Golden Flower, House of the Flying Daggers, Hero) is the director and choreographer. The production and costume are designed by Yee Chung-Man (The Warlords, Curse of the Golden Flower, Perhaps Love), who also outlined the story of the period film. The director of cinematography is Zhao Xiaoding (Curse of the Golden Flower, Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles, House of Flying Daggers, Hero).

Some pictures:

U1584P28T3D1670474F326DT20070809182354.JPG

Leon Lai, Kelly Chen and Donnie Yen

U1584P28T3D1670469F326DT20070809182115.JPG

Ching Siu Tung

U1584P28T3D1670467F326DT20070809181956.JPG

U1584P28T3D1670468F326DT20070809182026.jpg

Source: http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2007-08-09/23301670794.shtml

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem is, would you get the "Donnie vs Jet" Ching Siu Tung, or the "dancing" Ching siu Tung. I can't take the dancing anymore.

Guest Milkyway

-- Tony Ching Directs Donnie Yen In AN EMPRESS AND THE WARRIORS --

Perhaps because it’s coming from a relatively new company rather than one of the usual suspects upcoming martial arts epic An Empress And The Warriors has remained largely under the radar until now, surprising considering it stars Donnie Yen, Leon Lai and Kelly Chen and is directed by legendary martial arts choreographer Tony Ching. I’d say it’s safely on people’s radar screens now. Currently in post production an extended promo reel from the film is screening here at the AFM and it is fantastic stuff. The scope of the film is truly enormous, the production design rich and detailed but the presence of Tony Ching in the director’s chair is enough to guarantee that the film plays far more like a throwback to Hong Kong’s old school classics than it does the new wave of arthouse wuxia. The fights are plentiful and complex, Yen is in fine form - and it’s fun to see him working under someone else’s guidance to give a different spin to his talents - and the rest of the cast is similarly strong. Look for a trailer to appear online soon.

Source: http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/afm-tony-ching-directs-donnie-yen-in-an-empress-and-the-warriors/

Guest will91XingYu

I'm not looking forward to this, i hate films like Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, where it's all wires and theyre more interested in colours then fight scenes when theyre supposed to be martial arts films.

Guest Yagyu_Tajima
I'm not looking forward to this, i hate films like Hero and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, where it's all wires and theyre more interested in colours then fight scenes when theyre supposed to be martial arts films.

Oh come on now. :)

Let's not forget that this type of film making is what the genre used to be like (only less pretensious). If you consider what the wuxia genre was back in the early sixties (pre-Chang Cheh/King Hu), or even what was being done in the nineties, this is a natural progression of ideas. I happen to like both wuxia that focuses more on film making ability and atmosphere as much as kung fu movies that are brainless and ugly, but have awesome fight choreography. That both are still more or less getting made is a good thing.

Besides, this is being done by Ching Siu-tung: a better action choreographer than a director. There will likely be a healthy portion of action to go along with the gaudy colors and overblown production design:D

Archived