Favorite Horror Movies

AlbertV

Psycho

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original and reboot)

Black Christmas (original)

Halloween (original)

Dressed to Kill

Encounter of the Spooky Kind

Misery

The Silence of the Lambs

Red Dragon

Friday the 13th (reboot)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (reboot)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

No sure if the Hannibal Lecter movies can be counted as horror films - they seem more like thrillers to me.

Nice to see someone mentionned Misery - not that great of a movie in itself, but the female lead in this one is among the scariest performances ever.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Bangkok Revenge/Special ID/Protector 2/ these were all horrifying experiences for me. Oh wait, which context are we using this as?

No sure if the Hannibal Lecter movies can be counted as horror films - they seem more like thrillers to me.

Nice to see someone mentionned Misery - not that great of a movie in itself, but the female lead in this one is among the scariest performances ever.

Thrillers with shocking/disturbing moments are more than average thrillers. Therefore, those films can be considered as part thriller and part horror.

Secret Executioner
Thrillers with shocking/disturbing moments are more than average thrillers. Therefore, those films can be considered as part thriller and part horror.

Fair point. Anthony Hopkins is really creepy in those films, and it's true they have some moments.

BTW, have you seen Manhunter (1986) ? This one was the first Hannibal Lecter movie made and Red Dragon is actually a remake of this one - both are based on the novel also called Red Dragon which was the first Hannibal Lecter novel published. No Anthony Hopkins as Lecter though.

I see this thread was started 7 years ago, but hey....

I was avidly into horror between the ages of 11 to 14 with a friend of mine. It began renting videos from the store, then we went on to seeing the real nasty (banned in the UK) ones.

My very favourite horror movie ever is The Evil Dead. I prefered the Friday the 13ths to the elm streets, halloweens and texas chainsaw's. Though the original Texas chainsaw massacre is a classic. I also like some Italian nasties from Lucio Fulci and the like. The Beyond, Zombie flesh eaters, cannibal holocaust.

I like some real nasty Japanese movies too - to the extreme; the Guinea pig series and the All night long series.

AllNightLong_zps6d4183df.jpg

A few others worth a mention....

The re-animator

Combat Shock

Last house on dead end street

Evil dead trap

Entrails of a virgin

The Wicker man (the original, NOT the remake - good god not the remake)

Witchboard

Cannibal Ferox

The Conjuring

Dawn of the dead

Demons (Lamberto Bava)

Ichi the Killer

Secret Executioner
Updated my list:

Nosferatu

The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (a very weird German movie from 1919)

The Monster Club

Lisa And The Devil

Blood Feast

Black Sabbath

Dr Terror's House Of Horrors

Dracula (1931)

The Screaming Skull (now THAT is one creepy movie)

Bride Of Frankenstein

The Abominable Dr. Phibes

Dr. Phibes Rises Again

Vampire Circus

The Vampire Lovers

Talking of it reminded me - The Phantom Of The Opera (1925), starring one of Hollywood's finest actors ever, namely Lon Chaney. Maybe I'd put it 3rd on the list, it's THAT good.

Also: The Invisible Man (1933). That film has great special effects and the main character is epic as hell, I love this guy. I'd rank this one roughly the same as Bela Lugosi's Dracula - whether it be the movie or the character, they're both equally great (I love Bela Lugosi's performance as Dracula).

masterofoneinchpunch
Talking of it reminded me - The Phantom Of The Opera (1925), starring one of Hollywood's finest actors ever, namely Lon Chaney. Maybe I'd put it 3rd on the list, it's THAT good.

Also: The Invisible Man (1933). That film has great special effects and the main character is epic as hell, I love this guy. I'd rank this one roughly the same as Bela Lugosi's Dracula - whether it be the movie or the character, they're both equally great (I love Bela Lugosi's performance as Dracula).

You might get a kick out of my top 20s and 30s horror lists (originally from criterionforums.com):

Top 10 1920s Horror:

The Unknown (1927: Tod Browning) – Watch The Penalty (1920) after this

The Man Who Laughs (1928: Paul Leni) – I wasn't laughing

Nosferatu (1922: F.W. Murnau): You know Max Schreck was a real vampire don’t you.

Phantom of the Opera (1925: Rupert Julian): Lon Chaney did his own makeup and was one of the most advanced make-up artists of his time. Lon was awesome.

Penalty, The (1920: Wallace Worsley): I'll pin-up my legs for several hours a day and damage them.

Cat and the Canary, The (1927: Paul Leni): Leni has a great eye for direction and this film especially was influential for the many similar plot oriented films that would dominate the next couple of decades including a recently DVD released version of this featuring Bob Hope.

Laugh, Clown, Laugh (1928: Herbert Brenon): such a sad clown, but aren’t all clowns sad. I hate clowns by-the-way. Why are they always hiding behind make-up and trying to make little kids laugh?

The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923: Wallace Worsley)

Waxworks (1924: Paul Leni)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920: Robert Wiene): There is no truth to the rumour that if you called the director wiener he would lock you up in the cabinet.

Definitely influential though a bit dated; but still have some great scenes.

The Golem (1920: Carl Boese, Paul Wegener): Would there have been a Frankenstein without this?

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1920: John S. Robertson): I prefer the 1930s version by far, but good performance from John Barrymore.

Top 10 1930s Horror:

Bride of Frankenstein (1935):

Not only one of the best horror films of the early Universal age, one of the best all-time movies. A great classic directed by auteur James Whale (the movie Gods and Monsters is about his life) and starring a speaking Boris Karloff and Colin Clive as Dr. Frankenstein.

Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1931: Rouben Mamoulian): Thoughts here.

Mad Love (1935: Karl Freund): Karl Freund should have had more films after this.

Black Cat (1934: Edgar G. Ulmer): What? We root for Bela? Hee, hee Satan worshiping Hungarians.

Invisible Man (1933: James Whale): The combo of Claude Rains and James Whale makes an excellent film.

Freaks (1932: Tod Browning): A film that killed the career of Browning.

Dracula (1931: Tod Browning):

One of Bela Lugosi’s best performances and one that has influenced film forevermore. “Listen to the children of the night…” I like it better than the Hammer vampires and well the rest (though Gary Oldman is a great vampire.) Loosely based on the Stoker novel.

Island of Lost Souls (1932: Erle C. Kenton): Are we not men? A film that has inspired much including such groups as House of Pain and Oingo Boingo. Get the Criterion version.

White Zombie (1932: Victor Halperin): I need to rewatch this.

Frankenstein (1931: James Whale): While it is certainly one of the most imporant horror films of all time it is also one of the best. Some hammy performances tempor some of the effectivness. However the leads of both Clive and Boris are excellent.

oh so close:

The Mummy (1932: Karl Freund):

The Old Dark House (1932: James Whale):

The Black Room (1935: Roy William Neill): Actually this is easily top 10 material. When Boris Karloff wanted to he could give performances that equal any actor.

Son of Frankenstein (1939: Rowland V. Lee): Vastly underrated sequel that has a big influence on Young Frankenstein.

Vampyr (1932: Carl Dreyer): Cannot believe I forgot to add this.

Secret Executioner

Some great picks in your lists.

That said, I wouldn't consider The Penalty and Hunchback Of Notre-Dame horror - one is more a gangster film, not sure what type of film HOND would be. But they're still two great movies.

The 1931 Jekyll & Hyde is great. I have it on a DVD with a 1940s version that stars Spencer Tracy and Ingrid Bergman. This one isn't too bad, but Hyde doesn't look different enough than Jekyll and it feels more like drama than horror (more emphasis on the characters of Jekyll and his girlfriend and less on Hyde).

Funny thing with this set: the side with the 1930s film has a Jekyll/Hyde-related Bugs Bunny cartoon as a bonus.

Concerning Dracula, I really like the 1930s version starring Bela Lugosi - I'm not too familiar with the Hammer films, though Christopher Lee doesn't look too bad. The Coppola movie though is really not my thing. But while I just love Bela Lugosi's take for his style and the very appropriate accent, I find Nosferatu makes a more threatening vampire - he looks creepy as hell, he spreads the plague thanks to the rats in his coffins and even when he's not around, the atmosphere is unpleasant and I actually feel uncomfortable during the part of the movie set in his castle.

Bride Of Frankenstein is also pretty impressive. Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein essentially draws from this movie and amazingly, while the part with the hermit in the original film is sad as hell, the part redone by Mel Brooks is hilarious (speaking of YF, my fav' character has to be the hunchback assistant - that guy's a riot).

Funny you'd mention not liking clowns for one of the 1920s movies when the main character of The Man Who Laughs inspired a very famous clown - one that wears a purple suit and whose nemesis is a guy who dresses as a flying animal. :wink:

masterofoneinchpunch
Some great picks in your lists.

That said, I wouldn't consider The Penalty and Hunchback Of Notre-Dame horror - one is more a gangster film, not sure what type of film HOND would be. But they're still two great movies. ...

The Penalty is part of the R1 Kino set American Silent Horror Collection so that is the main reason why I tended to include it in horror lists :D. The Hunchback is usually considered Gothic horror even with its melodramatic tendencies (I still need to read the book.)

Oops noticed that the White Zombie comment and Island of Lost Souls comment is out-of-date. Seriously get the Criterion version of Island of Lost Souls if you have not.

The Spanish version of Dracula (filmed at nights when Dracula was filmed during the day) is worth watching as well (if you have not.) While the direction is actually better and some of the performances is better, the main performance of Dracula is not. But I'm a big Lugosi fan so I am biased. I do like Christopher Lee though. I also love the sets on the Hammer films as well as the atmosphere. There are a few favorites in my top 60s horror list.

I will ignore your Batman comment. :D

Secret Executioner

Two more things:

- I think it's widely known, but you forgot to mention the "monsters" from Freaks were real-life "freaks" (which I guess must give them a special edge - haven't seen the film, but it looks like a great one).

- if you want to root for Bela Lugosi, check Return Of Chandu. This 1934 serial in 12 chapters actually has him as the good guy. :ooh:

Secret Executioner
The Penalty is part of the R1 Kino set American Silent Horror Collection so that is the main reason why I tended to include it in horror lists :D. The Hunchback is usually considered Gothic horror even with its melodramatic tendencies (I still need to read the book.)

Even though The Penalty doesn't really belong on a horror film collection, it's nice to see this film being available - it shouldn't be forgotten and left for the die-hard movie fans to watch. :bigsmile:

Concerning The Hunchback, the Victor Hugo novel is set in the late 15th Century and is much darker than the Lon Chaney film. The book is classified as part of Romanticism and Gothic fiction.

masterofoneinchpunch
Two more things:

- I think it's widely known, but you forgot to mention the "monsters" from Freaks were real-life "freaks" (which I guess must give them a special edge - haven't seen the film, but it looks like a great one).

- if you want to root for Bela Lugosi, check Return Of Chandu. This 1934 serial in 12 chapters actually has him as the good guy. :ooh:

Remember these are just throw away quick comments. But that is a film that is quite interesting to see and its handling of delicate subject matter for its time. It is analogous to Crippled Masters (the Taiwanese film), though I'm always wary of using the term freaks (even though it is the show title.)

I forgot about Return Of Chandu which I still need to see (and get.) It's always fun seeing Bela in atypical roles (he is also the good guy in Black Cat (1934: Edgar G. Ulmer).) The typecasting was hard on him.

Secret Executioner
Remember these are just throw away quick comments. But that is a film that is quite interesting to see and its handling of delicate subject matter for its time. It is analogous to Crippled Masters (the Taiwanese film), though I'm always wary of using the term freaks (even though it is the show title.)

On the use of the term: I guess one would have to see the time it was made in.

On Crippled Masters: here are so many MA films with the word "Crippled" in the title that I'm not sure which one you're talking about - read about a film that had a guy with no legs and another with no arms who fought together though, so I suppose it could be the one you mean.

I forgot about Return Of Chandu which I still need to see (and get.) It's always fun seeing Bela in atypical roles (he is also the good guy in Black Cat (1934: Edgar G. Ulmer).) The typecasting was hard on him.

There is a DVD release of Return Of Chandu available over here. Never bumped into this one, but I think I'll get it if I ever find it. Apparently, it's a rather strange piece - still has impressive sets and costumes.

masterofoneinchpunch
On the use of the term: I guess one would have to see the time it was made in.

On Crippled Masters: here are so many MA films with the word "Crippled" in the title that I'm not sure which one you're talking about - read about a film that had a guy with no legs and another with no arms who fought together though, so I suppose it could be the one you mean.

There is a DVD release of Return Of Chandu available over here. Never bumped into this one, but I think I'll get it if I ever find it. Apparently, it's a rather strange piece - still has impressive sets and costumes.

天殘地缺: HKMDB link I am not fond of it but it makes an interesting comparison to Freaks (and companion film.) It is the one you wrote about.

FYI (for anyone interested): You can find that Black Cat in the R1 The Bela Lugosi Collection (Murders in the Rue Morgue / The Black Cat / The Raven / The Invisible Ray / Black Friday)

OK VCI has an R1 for Return Of Chandu here which is the one to buy, yikes better stay away from the public domain copies like Alpha.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Hmmm...

I haven't watched much beyond Argento lately, but this is a work in progress. European horror is how I generally roll.

In no apparent order:

Inferno (I will have to pick up the Arrow edition, sounds like some great material on it.) I became a little obsessed with this one recently the cinematography is so beautiful and I like the female lead a lot.

Tenebre (my single favorite film on the fine line between creativity and madness. This is one of Dario's most inventive storylines and the kills can be both beautiful and hilarious.

Suspiria - I used to dislike this and Inferno. I still feel Argento has a much better grasp with giallos, but the first two Three Mothers films are beautiful and a lot of sick fun.

City of the Living Dead (Gates of Hell) - the buried alive sequence still makes me freak out just a little and the guts upchuck is nasty.

Human Lanterns - Can people really be THAT petty and awful? Geez. Lo Meng's Szu - Yi and Lo Lieh's Chun Fang are about the only sympathetic characters in this. Tammy's over dramatic performance is unintentionally funny to me, but what a commentary about the type of person not to be. Both Mister Lo's make this a gem for me and Chen Kuan Tai is terrific too (he's one of those actors who can play subtle evil very well. Though I hate his character for killing Lo Meng...)

Demons Really scares the stuffing out of me despite the goofy execution of a twisted core story. The FX kind of ruin this for me, but Michele Soavi's masked theatre owner is priceless. And the idea of the film actually playing out in a theatre you cannot escape is a bit scary for me.

The Sect (sure I enjoy Cemetery Man which I actually saw theatrically), but for me this bonkers Satanic cult piece from Soavi trumps all over that. I love the crazy hippie sect leader, his hooks and his HP Lovecraft ritual dialog. I still have a hard time seeing Herbert Lom evil from my nearly life long exposure to the Pink Panther, but there you go. There are all kinds of gorgeous shots in this too.

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin There are some horror moments in this, but it's more of a suspense film. Still Fulci's nightmare / acid trip sequences are pretty amazing.

Tombs of the Blind Dead My favorite skeletal vampire. I really do not see them as zombies since they drink blood and their bite makes others like them. A great backstory and amazing make ups / FX given the year and sources. (I wish I still had the crude blind dead skull I made for myself.)

Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue (Favorite zombie movie, more the youth vs. elder subplot than the zombies which were amazing.)

The Thing

An American Werewolf in London

The Devil Rides Out (Favorite Christopher Lee movie)

Martin (this gets more unsettling to me as I mature. I think because I could clearly see someone doing this.)

What Have You Done to Solange? (Same as Martin. And my favorite Fabio Testi role. The murders are very much horror...)

A Quiet Place in the Country This had to have inspired Stephen King's The Shining, more of a ghost story and a really whacked commentary on the fine line between creativity and madness and selling out. (It gets a little slow in the middle but the ending is worth everything.)

All the Colours of the Dark - alas not quite the Satanic sleaze fest it could have been (but Ivan Rassimov stalking Edwige on the tube is still one of the most creepy and effective stalkings I've ever seen.)

Black Sunday My first Italian horror. Mario Bava made black and white look so colorful and Barbara Steel is a terrific witch. I love the FX for this and the whole vibe.

Like spaghetti westerns I have my cycles with horror. I can watch non stop for months or a year and then skip for awhile, but I always come back.

I have a pretty large horror collection, few hundred at least, Italian giallos are my favourites. However I don't really like any supernatural horror like ghost or zombies, mainly giallos and slashers. I will list some of my favs later on when I have more time.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I prefer giallos to slashers because the killers are punished and they seem so surreal / fake. There's a beauty to giallos that can be anything from the cast to the cinematography to the costumes and murder set pieces. They really are a unique character driven style of horror and I like them quite a bit because I see the art in them and I can detach them from any kind of reality (murder etc.)

Monsters and good vs. evil informed my first forays into horror and this is pretty much what I've watched since then.

I think horror is a great genre because you can tackle a lot of social commentary and the like IF you want to, or just make a fun scary film.

I watched the See No Evil films with WWE superstar Kane as the maniacal Jacob Goodnight. I actually liked them. Both were pretty dark and brutal. He had a weapon of a hook and chain that he just whirls at his victims...okay, the second one, he added tools used in a morgue since that was set up there, but Kane did a pretty good job as the killer IMO.

The original Night Of The Demons trilogy starring Amelia Kincaid in her awesome role as Angela the Alpha she-devil,Tales From The Hood,as well as the old school Cult classic Mother's Day.And for Campy coolness...The Midnight Hour starring Shari Belafonte and Levar Burton.I could go on but these are on my watch list come Devil's night.Or anytime I damn well please...?

Archived