Favorite Horror Movies

AlbertV

Well, in the spirit of Halloween on Wednesday, I was wondering what horror films everyone likes, whether it's a blockbuster or even the good ol' B-movie types. Here's my list (in no particular order)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - classic! I also did like the remake with Andrew Bryniarski as Leatherface and the prequel.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space - reminds me of 50's B movies and a lot of fun

Slaughter High - saw this on cable a few weeks ago for the first time in 15 years.

2001 Maniacs - insane movie with Robert Englund as a redneck killer

The Howling - I am a huge fan of werewolf films as long as the transformations are good, like Howling and American Werewolf in London

I haven't seen any of the Saw movies yet...just got them recently and will probably have a Saw marathon on Wednesday, of course minus Saw IV which comes out tomorrow.

The Burning was a great Friday the 13th ripoff with a great raft massacre scene. Personally I'd love to see this remade somehow.

I saw Hostel for the first time last month, was a little extreme for me but I'd still probably watch it and nice cameo from Takashi Miike.

What are your favorites?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest daisho2004

I enjoyed the 80's Hollywood Horror Genre those were some great movies.

Halloween 1&2 - still the best

American Werewolf in London

The Howling

Terror Train

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - classic

Dog Soldiers - Great Werewolf movie

Aliens - more Sci-Fi than horror

Demon Night

Dawn of the Dead - The Original

Zombies

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things - Zombie Movie

The Thing

Hellraiser II

This list could go on but these are just a few off the top of my head.

Guest froffeecoffee

In no particular order:

1. The Descent

2. Zombie

3. The Evil Dead Trilogy

4. Alien

5. Mr. Vampire

6. Night of the Demons

7. Demons

8. Suspiria

9. The Exorcist

10. Jaws

Guest teako170

Just talking about this today at work.

Not a huge fan of the genre but these are some I enjoy....

The Shining (1980)

- Classic Kubrick!

Halloween (1978)

- The original is still the best.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

- Many hated the ending. I thought it was superb.

Alien (1979)

- The first film was a horror/sci-fi (the sequels became action/sci-fi).

Two other mixed genre flix: Event Horizon (1997) and Pitch Black (2000).

Finally, for nostalga ... Dawn of the Dead (1978), The Thing (1982) and The Blob (1958).

Guest Von Humboldt Fleischer

As far as I'm concerned, EVIL DEAD II kicks all other horror movies right in the balls, and then stands there chuckling merrily while they clutch their aching groins and moan. It's more horror-comedy, of course, but I think it's an almost perfect movie.

I've been getting into Amando de Ossorio lately, the TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD guy. I enjoyed his DEMON WITCH CHILD a lot, even though it's a little stagey and doesn't have the kind of wide vistas the BLIND DEAD movies had. Sometimes it's hard to articulate what it is you like about a movie - particularly one that's a knock-off (of THE EXORCIST in this case), and which has unusually low production values; sometimes they just have an edge on other films because they're geniunely unpredictable and unsettling.

Also been watching a lot of old slashers on VHS - I've posted about them over on my blog. Some of them are just brutally idiotic, but when they work, they work beautifully.

I'm one of those suckers who was totally drawn in to THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. When I first watched it I was ready to despise it, because there's always a self-righteous pleasure in loudly disbelieving the hype, but it sucked me in, chewed me up and spat me out. I haven't watched it in about four years, but that movie really did have an unforgettable ending. I still sometimes say "I kicked that stupid map in the creek!" when I've done something stupid.

I'm a huge Larry Cohen fan - GOD TOLD ME TO, Q THE WINGED SERPENT, THE STUFF, the ALIVE trilogy - they're just incredibly twisted, darkly funny, endlessly inventive movies. He's such a cool guy he actually hangs out with Stan Lee (who appeared in Cohen's THE AMBULANCE), so I can even forgive him for writing PHONE BOOTH.

Two Best imo are The Exorcist and The Shining.

Evil Deads are awesome but have to much humor to be considered all the way horror (but the humor is what makes it so great) for me.

I also like the Brian Yuzna/Stuart Gordon movies like the Re-Animator, From Beyond, and the newer Dagon.

Human Lantern's was great, I still need get the new shaw horrors just released.

Tale of Two Sisters was really good.

I'll always love the old B/W and Hammer horrors, I can sit and watch that shit all night.

Guest kinetik

(not in any order)

Suspiria

30 Days of Night

Evil Dead

The Thing

Fright Night

Halloween 1&2

The Howling

An American Werewolf in London

Dawn of the Dead(both versions)

28 Days Later

Return of the Living Dead

Night of the Creeps

The Lost Boys

Demons

Guest froffeecoffee

Couple of more worth mentioning:

11. May

12. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

13. The Abominable Dr. Phibes

14. Child's Play

15. Audition: So worth it for the ending.

16. Re-Animator

17. Candyman

18. Creepshow

19. Dead Alive

20. Exorcist III: Very underrated.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Tosh, just watched The Mummy (1958) two nights ago after seeing Hammer's Hound Of The Baskervilles. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, you know it! Awesome stuff. Approaching Halloween my girlfriend and I've been watching horror flicks all month ie: The Old Dark House (1932), The Raven (1936), Son Of Frankenstein (1939), From Beyond, The Reanimater, Human Lanterns, and Tourist Trap. The Body Snatcher (Boris Karloff), Horror Of Dracula, Human Monster (Bela Lugosi), The Ghoul (Boris Karloff), Young Frankenstein, and Bloody Parrot, are next. Oh! And of course It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, an annual staple. Gotta see the 3D Nightmare Before Christmas in theatres now. I love Halloween. My favorite holiday. :)

Ken Russell's Gothic

Argento:

Suspiria

Inferno

Fulci:

Quella villa accanto al cimitero (The House by the Cemetery)

E tu vivrai nel terrore - L'aldila (The Beyond)

Zombi 2

Soavi:

Dellamorte Dellamore (Cemetery man)

La Chiesa (The Church)

Carpenter:

In the Mouth of Madness

The Thing

Wiene's Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (that's actually where my nick comes from)

Murnau's Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens

Bram Stoker's Dracula by Coppola

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein by Branagh

Whale's The Bride of Frankenstein

Jean-Baptiste Andrea&Fabrice Canepa - Dead End

Brad Anderson's Session 9

Antonia Bird's Ravenous

And more. The list could go on forever, horror is a genre I am very very fond of...:D

Guest kinetik
Couple of more worth mentioning:

18. Creepshow

QUOTE]

Damn how could I forget Creepshow? I LOVE that movie

So many others I could list...

Guest Markgway

Here's ten of my best...

Aliens

Child's Play

Dawn of the Dead (Romero)

Deep Red

The Exorcist

Jaws

Mr. Vampire

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Tenebre

The Thing (Carpenter)

Guest presureworld

Nightmare in a Damaged Brain

The Devil Within her AKA Beyond the Door

Rosemary's Baby

The Blood Spattered Bride

Vampyres

House on the Edge of the Park

The Manson Family

Maniac

Phantasm

Black Sabbath

The Wicker Man (1972)

Guest Whirlwind

Evil Dead

Evil Dead 2

Phantasm

Cannibal Holocaust

Jungle Holocaust

Cannibal Ferox

City Of The Living Dead

The Beyond

The Hills Have Eyes

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I Drink Your Blood

Dawn Of The Dead

Brain Dead

Dog Soldiers

Here's a few of my favourite non-asian horror movies off the top of my head:

10 Rillington Place

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Audrey Rose

Cannibal Holocaust

Dawn of the Dead

Demons

Evil Dead

I Spit on Your Grave

Kill Baby Kill

Legend of Hell House

The Burning

The Changeling

The Exorcist

Tha Haunting

Guest venomsfreak

Dead Dudes in the House

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

Criminally Insane

Alice Sweet Alice

Evil Dead

Hostel

House on Sorority Row

Midnight

Phantasm

Guest Von Humboldt Fleischer

Oh boy, the PHANTASM movies are just incredible. The circular ending of PHANTASM IV made my head explode.

Guest Chinatown Kid

The Exorcist is probably the most frightning and disturbing horror movie I've ever seen. Halloween, Salem's Lot, Fright Night, An American Werewolf in London and The Lost Boys are enjoyable ones too. Also like all the Hammer flicks with Dracula, Frankenstein, and the film Curse of the Werewolf. There was also a film I saw a long time ago starring William Hurt called Altered States, it's about this scientist that gets into some kind of sensory deprivation chamber and digresses back through the evolutionary cycle to a primitive caveman type, like half monkey and half man. It was a very weird film but very interesting and intriuging at the same time. Hitchcock's Psycho is a classic and scary for not what you see, but what you think you see because it's not really gory. About the goriest I've ever seen was Fulchi's Zombie, now that was pretty disgusting and made me sick. Don't watch on a full stomach!

About the goriest I've ever seen was Fulchi's Zombie, now that was pretty disgusting and made me sick. Don't watch on a full stomach!

And if you consider that Fulci could be even more disgusting if he wanted to...;-)

Still, I'd call some of his movies wonderful instances of surrealism on film - and now I'm not kidding...;) Plus, Fulci was real great at showing the horror of the inevitable. Come to think of it, it's just as good as (and sometimes even better than) the oh so popular fear of the unknown...;-)

Guest Iron Monkey

The Eye - the film is far from perfect but the hospital corridor and elevator scenes are simply genius. The theatrical timing of camera angles, focus, and sound are literally perfect. The only scenes since the shining twins that really freaked me out. So simple, so effective. :eek:

Archived