Mad Detective (2007) Milkyway Image

Guest Beat TG

Guest mark187

it's now November 29th in HK, and I'm pretty sure that's set in stone...it sounds like Mad Detective has faced some trouble with a rating decision and thats whats taken so long. it's now officially been rated Cat III. So nov. 29th it is...two Milkyway films in one month!! unfortunately I'll have to wait for the hk dvds to see them, and I was hoping for both to be out in time for x-mas, but now thats only possible with Triangle, and that wil be pushing it (hopefully Megastar will realise that releasing it on dvd right before x-mas could increase sales).too bad I don't live in Hong Kong.

Guest mark187

yeah, like Exiled last year, Mad Detective supposedly got the CAT III for just one scene that apparently is extremely violent, however unlike the Triad handshake from Exiled which was easily removable to get a IIB, Wai Ka-Fai felt this scene was important to the movie and therefore refused to cut it so CAT III it is. the trailer looks fun, and the music sounds like it will continue the recent Milkyway quality.

Guest Milkyway

alright, can't hurt that much although it's unnecessary. hope this movie will be worth it (which I don't doubt as I still haven't been disappointed by To's works).

even better than his [Lau Ching-Wan's] performance in Full Alert? that was a terrific performance for which he deserved to win Best Actor for at the HK Film Awards, it'd be great if he would work w/ Ringo Lam again! as for Mad Detective, I'm still waiting for the dvd to release and ship to my house...only about one more week but I can't wait!!

Mad Detective marks a new career move for him I would say, it's way TOO different than what he's done in the past (yes, including Full Alert and his other Milkyway works). trust me, you'll see him as a new transformed actor after you've seen it.

ok, sounds good! I think that his win last year for My Name is Fame was long overdue, and I've been looking forward to Mad Detective for a long time, I'm still kinda dissapointed that I missed seeing it at TIFF last year, but I had already bought a ticket to see another movie (before MD was announced)that same night and the times overlapped, and I couldn't just throw that $45 ticket away. At least it's given me something to look forward to, along with The Warlords, and by the end of next week I should have seen both of them finally. Here's hoping that Mad Detective will inspire Lau Ching-Wan to go back to making Milkyway films regularly!

This was pretty great, enjoyed it a lot, but the resolution didn't quite work for me. This was the one time that I didn't want to see a mexican standoff or a gun fight in a Johnie To movie, it just didn't jive well with the rest of it. Lau is absolutely phenomenal, it's worth seeing just for him alone if nothing else.

I didnt get to order the film, but I did get to see it this afternoon on Sundance on Demand. Lau Ching-Wan reminded me a bit of Haley Joel Osment's character from The Sixth Sense but replace "Inner personalities" with dead people and it worked. He was clearly as the title indicates "Mad". I was even shocked by Andy On's performance as the detective who needs Lau's help to solve the case...I always love when To uses the "standoff" bit in his films. It's a formula that always tends to work. Look at Exiled, A Hero Never Dies, and Fulltime Killer amongst his films. His thematic formula and style of filmmaking has me give him the nickname "The Martin Scorsese of Hong Kong". You can agree or disagree, but that's my opinion anyway.

His thematic formula and style of filmmaking has me give him the nickname "The Martin Scorsese of Hong Kong".

People have made comparisons with few other directors (including Michael Mann) but Scorsese makes perfect sense. Both have alot in common thematically and their styles are visually attractive and inventive.

Found the Hong Kong cut on youtube. The scene at 54:42-55:14 is only exclusive to the OOP Mei Ah DVD and bluray which contains the Hong Kong cut. 

• Like 3

Alright, so I checked my copy of the Eureka bluray to correct myself if any further changes were made for the international cut the disc contains. I remember another scene from the Hong Kong cut that got cut out in the international cut, and I can now confirm it.

It's the scene where Andy On is chasing the suspect through the street before they bump onto a moving truck separating them from each other. What follows is two different outcomes for respective cuts:

- In the Hong Kong cut, Andy On is about to get up and sees the suspect who looks at Andy. Then we see the suspect running towards Andy, who tries to reach for his gun but realizes that it's missing. The suspect points his gun at Andy and proceeds to search him and asks him where Andy has his gun. Andy responds saying that he lost it, and then the suspect kicks him down and starts hitting him with his gun while repeatedly asking for Andy's gun while Andy lying on the ground injured repeats saying that he lost his gun. The suspect is shown pointing his gun at Andy while thinking it's not worth killing him, and starts walking away. An overhead shot of Andy still lying on the ground is shown afterward.

- In the international cut, Andy is shown lying on the ground while looking for the suspect who is nowhere near in sight (alternate takes not shown in the Hong Kong cut), and starts lying on the ground again before the overhead shot of him is shown.

I wonder why Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fai decided to have the two scenes cut out. They are crucial to the story and shows you more details on Andy On's character.

Edited by DiP
  • Like 3

OpiumKungFuCracker
13 minutes ago, DiP said:

Alright, so I checked my copy of the Eureka bluray to correct myself if any further changes were made for the international cut the disc contains. I remember another scene from the Hong Kong cut that got cut out in the international cut, and I can now confirm it.

It's the scene where Andy On is chasing the suspect through the street before they bump onto a moving truck separating them from each other. What follows is two different outcomes for respective cuts. In the Hong Kong cut, Andy On is about to get up and sees the suspect who looks at Andy. Then we see the suspect running towards Andy, who tries to reach for his gun but realizes that it's missing. The suspect points his gun at Andy and proceeds to search him and asks him where Andy has his gun. Andy responds saying that he lost it, and then the suspect kicks him down and starts hitting him with his gun while repeatedly asking for Andy's gun while Andy lying on the ground injured repeats saying that he lost his gun. The suspect is shown pointing his gun at Andy while thinking it's not worth killing him, and starts walking away. An overhead shot of Andy still lying on the ground is shown afterward. In the international cut, Andy is shown lying on the ground while looking for the suspect who is nowhere near in sight, and starts lying on the ground again before the overhead shot of him is shown.

I wonder why Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fai decided to have the two scenes cut out. They are crucial to the story and shows you more details on Andy On's character.

Yeah this one irritated me when I got the Blu-ray cause I remember that scene originally and the version I got, they completely cut it out lol. I hate when they do that. 

• Like 3