The 'Bronzemen' Movies Thread

Guest Shaolin Monk

AlexanderFu

What movie I was just watching, the guy is scrapping gold off one of the 'bronze'; men so he can have money for his journey.....they all melty into one, I've seen a bunch over & over...

• Like 5

DragonClaws

Hero of The Time(1979), might not be a full blown Bronzemen movie. However it does feature Lung Fei painted in Gold, upto his neck. His character has mastered the invincibe Golden Kung Fu style.

• Like 4

ShawAngela

In the movie The Divine Martial Arts of Dharma (aka Mantis fist boxer), there are some bronzemen (I didn't count them) who fights the hero near the end of the movie.

vlcsnap-2020-05-25-17h58m11s813.png

• Like 3

ironfistedmonk

Spoilers - trying not to give too much away although most you guys have probably already seen these

I've just finished watching the Eureka remasters of 18 Bronzemen/Return of the 18 Bronzemen, films I've not seen in over 20 years (god I feel old typing that!) and ones I distinctly remember not liking all that much back then, and I've got to say...sorry Bronzemen fans, I still don't like them all that much! :D

There are 2 versions of the first movie on the Eureka Joseph Kuo box set, one is I think they said the Japanese release, and the other is a composite of different releases to make a more complete version of what would have been the original HK/Taiwan release, which is much the better version as the other release is a bit of a mess with scenes from other films tacked on during the opening half hour or so and other scenes appearing in a different order, I wonder which version I saw back in the day?  Probably a third butchered western release lol

Yeah what can I say about this movie?  I know some people love the Bronze/Wooden men stuff but I find it really gimmicky and stupid, as a fan of shapes I much prefer seeing 2 dudes fighting in a field to someone hitting a bloke in a dodgy outfit with clanging sound effects added, and as these films came out as the shapes style of fighting was still being perfected the action isn't all that.  Plot wise it's your typical learn kung fu at Shaolin to get your revenge story, Tien Peng is the main lead and I think he struggles without a sword in his hand, Polly Shang Kuan is the best thing about this movie as she does her usual dress like a man and no one can tell I'm a woman roll, until they work out she's a woman and she kinda takes a back seat after that.  I think main villains are very important to kung fu movies and Yi Yuan takes that spot, a good actor with a lovely villainous look about him but he's old enough to be the main stars dad and so struggles a bit in the end fight, so for me the ending was a bit of a disappointment.  I've been very critical of this movie, it's actually not all that bad it just has a lot of elements about it that I don't like seeing in my kung fu movies and I've seen much worse!

I think Return of the 18 Bronzemen is the superior film and one I found much more interesting, it has some of the same cast as the first film but in completely different roles and isn't a sequel at all story wise.  The structure of the film is interesting as the "bad guy" is the lead character, there isn't really a main villain defeated during an end fight, and so it gives it a different dynamic, and despite this being an element I don't like seeing in my kung fu movies I think it actually works in this one and makes it stand out a bit from the more generic revenge movies out there.

I don't know much about Chinese history other than what I've picked up from watching kung fu movies, the opening plot is the same as that in Shaw Brothers movie Lady Assassin where the 4th Prince of a Qing Emperor forges his dying fathers edict so that he and not the 14th Prince will succeed him, so I'm guessing this is a well known Chinese myth? 

Carter Wong plays the 4th Prince who comes across as a bit of a ruthless bastard, once he has ascended the throne and taken care of a few loose ends he goes out amongst his people, gets beaten in a couple of fights with Polly Shang Kuan, who surprisingly is dressed as a man, and Tien Peng in a cameo as a former Shaolin student, realising Shaolin Kung Fu is the bestest he has to go to Shaolin to learn their style.

As I mentioned earlier Carter Wong is technically the villain, but plays the lead character, and I'm not sure if they actually wanted you to start rooting for him to get through his Bronzemen training or not?  He's still an arrogant sod throughout despite him seemingly respecting all the abbots and being liked by his fellow students, and I was thinking maybe he will learn some humility from his training at Shaolin but no, he's still a bit of a dick at the end.  He is also trying to find a secret manual ala Chen Sings character in Shaolin Plot, did that take inspiration from this film???

Anyway despite being a dick throughout the film I don't think the character can help it, growing up with such power and privilege, being hated by the populace,  and having 13 brothers all plotting away against you as they vie for power would make you that way I guess, is he really a villain? I just thought it made for an interesting protagonist

Edited by ironfistedmonk
wrong film
  • Like 2

Beardys Feather
On 1/7/2023 at 12:18 PM, ironfistedmonk said:

Anyway despite being a dick throughout the film I don't think the character can help it, growing up with such power and privilege, being hated by the populace,  and having 13 brothers all plotting away against you as they vie for power would make you that way I guess, is he really a villain? I just thought it made for an interesting protagonist

Yes mate, Prince Harry is making a sequel for Netflix as we speak :smile

I love the bronzemen and wooden men films. Anything in a chamber really! Classic casts, classic era. Carter has the perfect demeanour for smacking up a few stiff-limbed metal men. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
On 1/7/2023 at 11:18 PM, ironfistedmonk said:

I think Return of the 18 Bronzemen is the superior film and one I found much more interesting, it has some of the same cast as the first film but in completely different roles and isn't a sequel at all story wise. 

I ended up enjoying the sequel more than the original as well, and gave it the full review treatment over at COF as part of my ongoing watch of the (ok, not so) recently released Joseph Kuo boxset - 

https://cityonfire.com/the-return-of-the-18-bronzemen-1976-review-taiwan-eureka-cinematic-vengeance-the-films-of-joseph-kuo-boxset-blu-ray/

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 1:18 PM, ironfistedmonk said:

Spoilers - trying not to give too much away although most you guys have probably already seen these

I've just finished watching the Eureka remasters of 18 Bronzemen/Return of the 18 Bronzemen, films I've not seen in over 20 years (god I feel old typing that!) and ones I distinctly remember not liking all that much back then, and I've got to say...sorry Bronzemen fans, I still don't like them all that much! :D

There are 2 versions of the first movie on the Eureka Joseph Kuo box set, one is I think they said the Japanese release, and the other is a composite of different releases to make a more complete version of what would have been the original HK/Taiwan release, which is much the better version as the other release is a bit of a mess with scenes from other films tacked on during the opening half hour or so and other scenes appearing in a different order, I wonder which version I saw back in the day?  Probably a third butchered western release lol

Yeah what can I say about this movie?  I know some people love the Bronze/Wooden men stuff but I find it really gimmicky and stupid, as a fan of shapes I much prefer seeing 2 dudes fighting in a field to someone hitting a bloke in a dodgy outfit with clanging sound effects added, and as these films came out as the shapes style of fighting was still being perfected the action isn't all that.  Plot wise it's your typical learn kung fu at Shaolin to get your revenge story, Tien Peng is the main lead and I think he struggles without a sword in his hand, Polly Shang Kuan is the best thing about this movie as she does her usual dress like a man and no one can tell I'm a woman roll, until they work out she's a woman and she kinda takes a back seat after that.  I think main villains are very important to kung fu movies and Yi Yuan takes that spot, a good actor with a lovely villainous look about him but he's old enough to be the main stars dad and so struggles a bit in the end fight, so for me the ending was a bit of a disappointment.  I've been very critical of this movie, it's actually not all that bad it just has a lot of elements about it that I don't like seeing in my kung fu movies and I've seen much worse!

I think Return of the 18 Bronzemen is the superior film and one I found much more interesting, it has some of the same cast as the first film but in completely different roles and isn't a sequel at all story wise.  The structure of the film is interesting as the "bad guy" is the lead character, there isn't really a main villain defeated during an end fight, and so it gives it a different dynamic, and despite this being an element I don't like seeing in my kung fu movies I think it actually works in this one and makes it stand out a bit from the more generic revenge movies out there.

I don't know much about Chinese history other than what I've picked up from watching kung fu movies, the opening plot is the same as that in Shaw Brothers movie Lady Assassin where the 4th Prince of a Qing Emperor forges his dying fathers edict so that he and not the 14th Prince will succeed him, so I'm guessing this is a well known Chinese myth? 

Carter Wong plays the 4th Prince who comes across as a bit of a ruthless bastard, once he has ascended the throne and taken care of a few loose ends he goes out amongst his people, gets beaten in a couple of fights with Polly Shang Kuan, who surprisingly is dressed as a man, and Tien Peng in a cameo as a former Shaolin student, realising Shaolin Kung Fu is the bestest he has to go to Shaolin to learn their style.

As I mentioned earlier Carter Wong is technically the villain, but plays the lead character, and I'm not sure if they actually wanted you to start rooting for him to get through his Bronzemen training or not?  He's still an arrogant sod throughout despite him seemingly respecting all the abbots and being liked by his fellow students, and I was thinking maybe he will learn some humility from his training at Shaolin but no, he's still a bit of a dick at the end.  He is also trying to find a secret manual ala Chen Sings character in Shaolin Plot, did that take inspiration from this film???

For me, Return of the 18 bronzemen is incomplete, as we don't know what will happen with Shan Kuan Ling Fung's character. If I remember well, she plays the role of Lu Siniang, who is supposed in History to have killed Emperor Yong Zheng (Carter Wong) due to the fact he had killed her father and a lot of literate people because he feared they would help the people to revolt against him, due to the education they could have received from the books written/edited by Lu Siniang's father.

• Like 3

Although the ending is unfortunately abrupt, I think that the Return of 18 Bronzemen is absolutely fantastic, definitely one of my favourites! 

Wasn`t there bronzemen in Magnificent Bodyguards? My memory of movie is very thin, I recall James Tien and the kicker in good trio but don`t recall how Jackie did in this and do not own movie anymore..