The 'Bronzemen' Movies Thread

Guest Shaolin Monk

Guest nikesparq

Greetings!

Im trying to confirm my earliest, foggiest memory of martial arts cinema and I believe it was the 18 Bronzemen movies. Were there any other movies in the 70's besides the 18 Bronzemen series (not necessarily by Joseph Kuo) that included scenes with a fighter fighting his way through different chambers (and not the 36th Chamber of Shaolin)? In the 80's I always watched Kung Fu Theatre hosted by Tat-Mau Wong and I don't remember seeing any movies with similar scenes. Also, some websites indicate that the 18 Bronzemen was released in 1979 - is that when it was first released to the public on VHS/Beta?

One of my Favorites is Jackie Chan's "Shaolin Wooden Men" where he has to fight his way through the Wooden Men in order to leave the temple.

• Like 1

Also, some websites indicate that the 18 Bronzemen was released in 1979 - is that when it was first released to the public on VHS/Beta?

1979 might be a reasonable date for the VHS release, the original and it's sequel were both released into theaters in 1976.

The Unbeaten 28 also has its main character (Meng Fei) battling through temple chambers to gain a hidden style. It's a really good movie - definitely recommended.

Gordon Liu fights against a small army of bronze men in the korean Fury in the Shaolin Temple, and in Raiders Of The Shaolin Temple we have Sonny Yue going up against the dredded 24 bronze horses!!!

• Like 1

Does anyone know of good widescreen English-dubbed DVDs for 18 Bronzemen, Return of 18 Bronzemen, and 8 Masters? I'm on a Kuo kick, and would like to get good copies. Thanks...

Shaolin Chamber 36

DEFINITELY The Unbeaten 28. I love this movie. Mark Long is an untamed beast that can not be stopped.

Plus my man Jack Long is also in it. One of my all time favorite Fu screen actors.

Guest Markgway

Has the director's cut of The 18 Bronzemen ever made it to VHS? I know Linn said he'd seen it. But the only versions I've seen are the HK theatrical release (widely available dubbed) and that awful early 80s re-edit (subtitled DVDs). Just wondering how it compares?

Greetings!

Im trying to confirm my earliest, foggiest memory of martial arts cinema and I believe it was the 18 Bronzemen movies. Were there any other movies in the 70's besides the 18 Bronzemen series (not necessarily by Joseph Kuo) that included scenes with a fighter fighting his way through different chambers (and not the 36th Chamber of Shaolin)? In the 80's I always watched Kung Fu Theatre hosted by Tat-Mau Wong and I don't remember seeing any movies with similar scenes. Also, some websites indicate that the 18 Bronzemen was released in 1979 - is that when it was first released to the public on VHS/Beta?

Almost all of them have been listed and if this counts there is a little bit in Men From The Monastery

Regarding The 18 Bronze Men year of release, I saw it in theatres not earlier than 1976 and not later than 1977 but I don't know when it was first released on video.

There's alos a pretty cool "Bronzemen" type of testing that Carter Wong goes thru at the beginning of the 1977 film "The 8 Masters".

Secret Executioner

Saw this boxset for sale online and was wondering if these films were worth getting and/or if there are better "Bronzemen" movies out there (post quoted from the Kung Fu Box Sets thread):

51cjttlbsmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

18 Bronzemen (1976)

Return of the 18 Bronzemen (1976)

The Unbeaten 28 (1980)

The Magnificent (1979)

The only "Bronze people" movie I've seen was a rather terrible film called The 18 Bronzegirls Of Shaolin.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Saw this boxset for sale online and was wondering if these films were worth getting and/or if there are better "Bronzemen" movies out there (post quoted from the Kung Fu Box Sets thread):

The only "Bronze people" movie I've seen was a rather terrible film called The 18 Bronzegirls Of Shaolin.

GHW

They are all great movies,

18 Bronzemen (1976)

cKcLUoRcE7qrs2cmlTjvkWluGnb.jpg

vnaJvBQS9UQ

Return of the 18 Bronzemen (1976)

uOHlEkvU7HOPAt07LUCGpuCrIcO.jpg

p7qUR8xQpAw

The Magnificent (1979)

6_85O1qt4Ag

The Unbeaten 28 (1980)

TheUnbeaten28(1980).jpg

YM9X7EjvLoY

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Thanks for the answer, they do seem like good stuff indeed. Watched the opening fight off The Unbeaten 28 and it was damn fun. The others have some inner qualities too: Joseph Kuo directing, Asso Asia (that would later become IFD and Filmark) distributing... Guess I'll probably order that set when I receive the Four Swords one (that I STILL have yet to receive...).

Cold Bishop

They're well worth a look, but be aware that 18 Bronzemen has often been re-edited and butchered. However, being Mill Creek, its just as likely you'll get on old dubbed and cropped VHS transfer, which might actually be the best of two bad options in this case.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
They're well worth a look, but be aware that 18 Bronzemen has often been re-edited and butchered. However, being Mill Creek, its just as likely you'll get on old dubbed and cropped VHS transfer, which might actually be the best of two bad options in this case.

Ouch... Thanks for the warning. I hope it won't be too badly butchered - a bad old VHS transfer would still be better indeed. :squigglemouth:

One Armed Boxer
Ouch... Thanks for the warning. I hope it won't be too badly butchered - a bad old VHS transfer would still be better indeed. :squigglemouth:

Hey GHW, I've just merged a bunch of threads which discuss the bronzemen movies and the various DVD releases of them into this one, so hopefully the info should help you out.

Of course, once you've seen the movies, don't forget to chime in with your opinion on this thread :tongue: -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17470

Secret Executioner
Hey GHW, I've just merged a bunch of threads which discuss the bronzemen movies and the various DVD releases of them into this one, so hopefully the info should help you out.

Of course, once you've seen the movies, don't forget to chime in with your opinion on this thread :tongue: -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17470

Thanks for the merging, the original thread is really nice - lots of interesting-sounding titles that also feature these characters and that I'll try and get.

Gotta admit those "Bronze" people have a weird color sometimes. In The 18 Bronzegirls Of Shaolin, the Bronzegirls seem more gold than bronze and in The Clones Of Bruce Lee (3 Bruce Lee-alikes, Bolo AND Bronzemen, there's alot of stuff in there), the Bronzemen (who are created by drug injections and described as made of steel later on, go figure) have a weird yellowish color too. :squigglemouth: