Japan cinemagic

Guest Morgoth

Guest Morgoth

Is there a site out there for Japanese movies that is similiar to hkcinemagic? I can never find out any info on Japanese movies.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, not really, there isn't much more beyond the limited reviews from KFC and KFCC (among others) and dedicated actor fan sites, though the guys at Ninja Dojo really know their stuff if you have a specific question. Shame really, I'd say Japanese movies are more viewed and definitely more respected then Kung Fu films, even the movie snobs have to pay homage to the great directors like Kurosawa and others.

I have never really been satisfied with anything on the net regarding Japanese cinema. A lot of it turns out to be people just quoting what they have read from others on the net. There really isn't something out there in english like a database for Japanese movies. If you do some searches you might see there have been attempts at this, but they really haven't been that successful.

IMO, The best site to keep you updated on the current movies and past is http://www.midnighteye.com. Like on the front page they mention the new Miike Django movie.

Other than that, if I am stuck with just using the internet then I goto www.jmdb.ne.jp. Of course, with that you have to know how to use Kanji.

KC

Guest Morgoth

Dang, that sucks. Thanks for the info Tosh.

daisho2004 I was pretty much just looking for a handy website like hkcinemagic. Makes me have a little more appreciation for hkcinemagic now. That is one heck of a website. I will just ask questions here when I have them.

Thanks for the site Kevin C.

Guest Yakuza954

It's weird. Even though Japanese and Korean movies are a lot more popular than HK movies right now, there's a heck of a lot more reliable information available for HK movies. Especially when it comes to finding information about the older movies that are more than a decade old. Yes, I realize that all of us at some point have read info about a martial arts movie or actor that we later found out was fake, and it seems there's unknown martial arts movies and tv series popping up all time, but it's still a lot better than the situation with Korean and Japanese movies. Even for the golden-age of Japanese films (1940's-1970's), I'd say there's only info about 1/3 of the movies made in that time period and there's a lot of great movies/director's works we may never know about as a result. Take someone like Chiba, for example, who is one of the most famous Japanese actors ever internationally, but who you wouldn't be able to find a complete filmography for if your life depended on it. One reason for the lack of information may be because most fans of Japanese and Korean movies are relatively new, seemingly more worried about the latest pop idols and soap operas than making any reliable information database. Also, Japan and Korea never really imported their stuff as much and as consistently as Hong Kong so it's hard to know about a lot of these films unless you were living there when they were released. It's a shame really, as Chang Cheh made almost like 100 films but you'd get much closer to seeing all his films than you would someone like Masaki Kobayashi who made less than two dozen. (That's the two dozen we know about, I wouldn't be surprised if there were another unknown dozen.)

Guest daisho2004

I know it really is a shame that there isn't a site really more dedicated to this genre, that is why I try to post info and Bios of Actors & Directors here so we can find the info that is best at hand. And the Ninja Dojo is one of the best sources for info on the net regarding Japanese Movie info.

BTW I would've also recommended midnight eye that is a good site for more updated info on Japanese Cinema.

Archived