Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

I have to agree with Beat. This has been done many of times. Even in our most beloved kung fu flicks. Was Eight Diagram Pole Fighter over the top? Yes indeed... but is still one of the best kung fu flicks regardless. People are just finding reasons to jive on Flash Point.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aeksis8742

I agree, it seems that alot of people are just picking out things that are usually wrong with a modern MA flick these days. That being said I think that this is one of the best to come out in a while, including SPL.

Guest luckystars

No, I'm not saying it's silly coz he didn't die. Did any of you actually wach this film?

There is blood fountaining out of the guy inside the interior of the car, and it's a prolonged attact. Yet when we see him, his hands are just a bit covered with blood, as is the 'toy' plastic looking knife.

They just went silly with the scene with no realism and no dramatic sense whatsoever. You look at what happens are youre like 'wow he's diced him up' oh no wait, the guys ok! :D

In SPL the violence was shocking and dramatic. This was like comic book stuff. Kids stuff.

Guest Beat TG
Did any of you actually wach this film?

yes and I don't go technical whilst watching movies (the movie had 2-3 lame moments that didn't affect the WHOLE movie), I just want to be entertained, thrilled and gripped altogether. It was a great movie, not as great as SPL, but still great.

In SPL the violence was shocking and dramatic. This was like comic book stuff. Kids stuff.

there was actually a reason for this "kids stuff" you call it. this movie was meant to be lighter and less dark-toned and brutal than SPL (athough I prefered it to be like SPL).

Guest Chinatown Kid

I just watched Flash Point today and have to say I was impressed, this is my kind of action film! The fights in this were exciting with a great mix of striking and grappling skills, I actually liked the fights better in this than in SPL, which I liked also. This is great fight choreography for the modern age and after watching FP I think Donnie Yen along with Tony Jaa are the top two screenfighters going today, I'm looking forward to seeing more from them!

Guest Morgoth
same thing goes on in SPL when Wu Jing cut the cop so many times but still survived the attack.

In Flash Point he cut him up many more times than in SPL. Like I said, I thought it went on for too long.

And regarding 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, that was made quite a long time ago compared to Flash Point. I thought they should have brought more realism since this is a modern day movie. Anyways, this is just a minor gripe. Like i said, I didn''t think that scene was directed very well. If I went over all the minor things I didn't like abotu the movie it would be a very long list. I still love the movie (mainly the final fight), but I thought it could have been better in parts, and when Xing Yu slashed up Ben Lam, I thought that could have been done better.

Guest Morgoth

Beat did you read the line I quoted from you? I thought the knife scenes in SPL were much more realistic than the knife scene in Flash Point. So yes, it could have been more realistic in Flash POint. See SPL

Guest Beat TG
Beat did you read the line I quoted from you?

I was talking about the realism of both SPL and Flash Point, not responding to your post (otherwise I would've quoted it). both are far from realistic, though Flash Point was going further with that. like I said, the main thing is entertainment.

Guest Morgoth

Agreed, both movies definitely provided the entertainment factor. Though we all know that Flash Point is not quite as good as Twins Mission:p:p

Guest luckystars

Ahh good to see you follow my point ;)

Like I said in my first post, Flash Point will be considered an action classic coz of the finale. It's some of the best stuff I've seen in years.

The rest of the film was far more like trash than I've seen for a long time too. I'm all for 'lets just be entertained' because I watch films to enjoy them, but when I watch a film and key scenes leave you thinking 'this just plain sucks' you can't help but think overall the film was just 'ok' nothing great, certainly nothing I could rewatch all the way though.

The DVD is a keeper tho ;)

Guest daisho2004

OK I got to watch this movie last night and is was very good, Donnie Yen is the Man his Action scenes are Awesome, this movie had a very good storyline and once the action started it didn't let down. I know a lot of people either like him or don't and I can't understand why that is.

What really surprises me is that Hollywood hasn't give him a main stream action movie yet, he is better than any action star we got here in the states.

Actually Donnie has done choreography for Highlander: Endgame, Blade II, and Alex Rider: Stormbreaker which are all mainstream Hollywood movies. He has starred in 2 of those 3 movies above mentioned and starred in Shanghai Knights alongside Jackie. On top of that, he was in Hero which had a wide release here in the states. I don't think Donnie is doing too shabby on the western hemisphere. Oh yeah, you can't forget Iron Monkey was released as well over here in the states!

I was rewatching FLASHPOINT the other day and noticed during the fights, Donnie often holds his right hand up next to his face and waves it around like how he did in Tiger Cage back in 1988... it's been almost 20 years since he done that. Oh and don't forget the wind-up punch he use to do in ITLOD4 makes a quick return too.

Guest daisho2004

Well I'll tell you I look forward to any movie Donnie makes lately he is one of the best new choreographers out there today, I thought the final fight with him in SPL with the steel whip was awesome.

Guest Morgoth
the wind-up punch is classic! Donnie also did that when he fought Xing Yu but it was taken out in the finished cut.

That is one of the few things I didn't like about the final fight. Luckily he only did it a few times.

I only recall the wind-up punch once during the fight with Collin Chou. It was done a bit differently compared to how he done it back in ITLOD. In 'In the Line..', it was done sort of just to look cool but in Flashpoint, I remember it was sort of like a move to trick the opponent to dodge in the wrong direction, then throw the punch.... gahh... I don't remember...

Guest Morgoth
Realistic? falling down 5-6 feet from a house and keep fighting immediately afterwards is realistic?:P the final fight in SPL wasn't realistic either because it made no sense having a young strong cop fighting an aging yet strong crime boss (worked anyway because it was a showdown between two well familiar screenfighters in reality). the wind-up punch made as much no sense as the latter scene made.

What are you talking about? They don't fight immediately afterwards, and the "fighting" is realistic, I didn't say anythign about them falling down 5-6 feet being realistic, because obviously its not. So let me clarify this to you again, the "fighting" is realistic, not 100% realistic, but still more realistic than most fight scenes, and the wind up punches took away from that.

Guest Morgoth
the "fighting" was realistic I agree. so how does that make the wind-up punch inappropriate and taking away from that? it belongs where it is because it's "realistic" enough to fit the overall "realistic" fight anyway...

Because it doesn't belong in a "real" type of fight. It isn't like a boxing match, it is more comparable to a UFC or Pride fight if anything. You would never see Chuck Lidell start winding up like he is Sugar Ray leanord or something. It is completely out of place. In a real fight you would get floored if you tried some crap like that. And of course Yen and Chou don't have gloves on and they are not inside of a cage, so it is more of a real type of a fight which makes the wind up punch even more out of place. The fight felt so realistic in so many ways, and like I said, the wind up punches take away from that.

Guest Morgoth
you're clearly misunderstanding the whole concept of the fight choreography. Yen had every intention to make the fights look real (Yen brought in elements of UFC anf Pride but never intended to make them like them at all, that would limit the unlimited if you know what I mean), and in real fights anything goes... there are no rules, no mercy, no nothing, just pure instinct on how to attack and win over your opponent. the wind-up punch is an act instinctively triggered by Yen's character's impulsive nature so I can't see any reason why it's out of place and taking away the whole fight.

No, I am not misunderstanding this whatsoever. I have never seen anyone use a windup punch in a real fight. It is completely out of palce from the realism of the fight.

And where did I say that it "takes away the whole fight"? Don't put words into my mouth. I would never say some stupid crap like that.

Guest Morgoth
So never seeing one before makes it out of place from realism?

haha... You kept saying "it's taking away from that", then as I stated my opinion, you said "the fight is "realistic". now you say you never talked about the fight in general. don't pretend like you never said anything about the fight.

:confused:

YES Beat, try to stay on topic here. I AM SAYING IT TAKES AWAY FROM THE FIGHT, but I didn't say that it "takes away the whole fight". YOU are the one who said that. Read what I said before making your post. AND YES, because I have never seen it before in a real fight it makes it less realistic. LIKE I SAID, it isn't like this is a boxing match or something, and even in a boxing match a windup punch is just plain stupid. If you have ever seen a boxing match then you would know that when somebody does that they usually get knocked on their ass, so in a fight with no rules you would get knocked on your ass even faster.

And yes, I am saying the fight is realistic, BUT THE WINDUP PUNCH TAKES AWAY FROM THE REALISM.(read close here Beat, this is pretty important)- MEANING THAT IT MAKES IT A LITTLE BIT LESS REALISTIC. You need to read my posts more thoroughly before making your post.

Archived