Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

I liked the fight with Xing Yu as well... Donnie slammed his @ss on the ground for real!

Again, Wire fu at its best....:rollin

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Senor Quack

Got my DVD yesterday and popped it in. I have to say that while I really liked the fights (and I do like Donnie Yen for the most part) I thought the rest of the movie was just painful to watch. It probably would have been better if they sprinkled a bit more action in between the driving range scene and the hospital chase. I have to agree with others in saying that for about an hour, almost nothing happens. When it gets going, it's very good, it just takes too long to get there.

On the bonus features, however, I enjoyed the "stunt reel" (larger version of what's shown in the credits) and I did like the interviews/making of talking about how they put the film together.

I doubt I'll watch the film the whole way through again, though. The story doesn't even compare to SPL's, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm used to "paper thin" plots in my action films, but they should never be boring! I felt a good hour or so of this one was unfortunately.

Guest Beat TG
Don't get me wrong, I'm used to "paper thin" plots in my action films, but they should never be boring! I felt a good hour or so of this one was unfortunately.

I thought the movie was as gripping and energic (if not more) like SPL, despite the lack of action in the first half of the movie, and kept me entertained the whole time. SPL is much better for the whole package but Flash Point was more enjoyable IMO.

Guest Karlos

Can anyone actually confirm whether or not Donnie's character in SPL is the same as Flashpoint???

:rolleyes

I've heard FP was a prequel to SPL, then it was going to be a sequel - and now...?

Guest Beat TG

This is an unofficial prequel. in one shot though, Archer (Ray Lui) actually says 'Ma Kwun, come out and fight me!', without the subs pointing that out.

Guest Senor Quack

"I thought the movie was as gripping and energic (if not more) like SPL, despite the lack of action in the first half of the movie, and kept me entertained the whole time. SPL is much better for the whole package but Flash Point was more enjoyable IMO."

To each their own I suppose. I really wanted to like it more, honestly, but the story didn't draw me in at all. I personally thought SPL did a much better job drawing the viewer in. I'd give some examples but I don't want to post spoilers.

Guest Karlos

Just ordered my copy from YesAsia - can't wait!

The general concensus seems to be this is a cracking flick - to be honest, I have a feeling I'll enjoy this more than SPL which I found to be only OK.

And thanks to Beat TG for answering my query!!

:D :D :D

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Just watched it and I liked it about as much as SPL. I think I enjoyed the storyline in SPL more, and the presence of Sammo didnt hurt. SPL is a darker film, literally and story wise. But the fianle of FP between Donnie and Collin is a RIPPER!! Worth the price of admission alone. Both films had about the same amount of action, but I have to say DY stepped it up another level in FP. FP seemed to be more violent/bloody. Overall a good film.

On a side note, FP and "Invisible Target" were very similar story wise.

Guest morgoth

I went into this movie with the highest of expectations and that final fight stil blew me away. For me it is the best fight since the Fist of Legend finale.

Guest luckystars

Just watched Flash Point.

This could've been a really great film with better writing. You can only blame Donnie Yen for this as Producer. Wilson Yip did a damn fine job on the finale but that really is all there is in this film to enjoy.

It will be seen as an action classic for its final-reel like Tiger on the Beat in years to come, but the rest of the film *really* did stink.

2.5/5

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
This could've been a really great film with better writing.

If I had a dime everytime I thought (or heard) that about a Kung Fu film....:lol

Guest Beat TG
This could've been a really great film with better writing. You can only blame Donnie Yen for this as Producer.

you must have a grudge or something but criticizing a movie content mainly on some certain person is just too naive.

Guest Steve Barr

I was pretty disappointed. I mean, it's a good film in this lousy year for them, but WTF was it with action scenes filmed so you can't see what's going on some of the time and all that wrasslin' ? Fights like that send me running back to Shaw Brothers films or late 1980's-early 1990's HK actioners. If Donnie Yen wants to grab a guy and roll around on the ground with him, can he please do it in private from now on? :)

Guest jmungus
If Donnie Yen wants to grab a guy and roll around on the ground with him, can he please do it in private from now on?

:lol

lame movie except for the action parts. agree with whoever said in years to come it will still be recognized by fans for its nice, longish final clash. the rest is kinda sucky plus i want my hung gar-based fighting back (although i do dig most of donnie`s 'new' flavour and understand modern day hk (movie) cops do not look very authentic kickin it like chen kuan tai, throwin elaborate tiger claw and monkey fist techniques our way).

6.6/10- as if the whole thing was just an excuse so they could create that epic end fight.

Guest Steve Barr
l[...] i want my hung gar-based fighting back (although i do dig most of donnie`s 'new' flavour and understand modern day hk (movie) cops do not look very authentic kickin it like chen kuan tai, throwin elaborate tiger claw and monkey fist techniques our way).
I'm not worried about authenticity in a movie where people run along walls, break toilet bowls with their fist, etc. But I felt I was watching a movie made by the World Wrestling Federation. Someone even gets hit with a folding chair! :)

Guest Beat TG
but WTF was it with action scenes filmed so you can't see what's going on some of the time and all that wrasslin' ? Fights like that send me running back to Shaw Brothers films or late 1980's-early 1990's HK actioners.

spoiled!:lol :b

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Donnie simply playin to the tremendous popularity of UFC & MMA fighting. As a martial artist, he's probably a fan himself. Being a huge fan of MMA, I greatly enjoyed the infusion of the grappling in the fight scenes. Adds alot more variety to the action. And I'd say that you would be in the minority if you didnt. I think its brilliant move by DY, its new/fresh and it capatalizes on whats hot now. And theres literally hundreds of 80-90's modern cookie cutter hk action flix if thats your cup o tea. I'm happy to see some new stuff, while still enjoying the classics.

SPOILER!

One minor complaint in the final fight is when DY throws that knee bar on CC, it souds like he breaks it (snap!). But CC gets up and shakes of what appereaed to be a snapped knee. :lol

Guest Beat TG

in the making of, Collin goes to explain that Donnie had a problem with communicating with the choreography. he wanted to implement the various MMA techniques and make them look convincing and effective. guess those strong sound effects were there to edge them out and really produce impact (giving the viewer the impression of how power those techniques are), that overall would make them speak for themselves. if anything, I think this method's something I haven't came across before but's very brilliant (goes against the principle of trading punches, kicks and blocks).

You know, it's one of those things. If someone doesn't like something, It doesn't usually even pay to educate them on what they're seeing. Greatest case is LotW.

Yen did something different here. It's not based on the peking opera guys hk kickboxing style. It's more fighting, that's fighting, based. It's not hook, block, hook, roundhousekick, hook, duck, cross. It's attack hard with multiple punches, body shot, raining punches, a kick, a tackle. All by the same person, while the other defends. The blocks are not far from the body like you'd see in the usual kickbox style. Blocks are done right up against the head, face or body. Donnie throws head high round house kicks that get blocked at the ear and not a foot away from the shoulder. Punches come 3-7 in a row without a trade off or counter by the opponent. The attacks are angry and full bore(see Xing Yu fight). Leg kicks, punching body shots and hard core swinging to the head are the flavor. It's not punch/kick/block exchange type kickboxing but fighting wih truer purpose. I won't even get into the sub/choke work as most people don't even understand it. Deaf ears is all that it would be.

The Jaa haters seem to fall under the same problem. They want hk style kickboxing and hk kickboxing style exchanges(based on the peking opera guys. When something comes out different from that, with a style that works, it "needs something", or I hated the blank. Look at the folks that complained once Sammo and Donnie went to the ground in SPL but loved the kickboxing section.

It's different for me as I love martial arts. When I see someone use or incorporate something martial into a movie, and I can tell and see it, it makes that action that much more dope. If I just liked kickboxing and people falling on things, my scope and appreciation would be incredibly limited.

Guest tigerstyles
But the fianle of FP between Donnie and Collin is a RIPPER!!

YERP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Balls to the Wall action at its best! @#%$ the story.. thats just padding if you want a story go watch Hero or Ashes of Time..

Donnie Kicked Major ASS!! although his haircut was a bit @#%$

Guest luckystars

Yeah you can say Balls to the story but then it becomes like some Seagal sh!t.

Most HK films are at least of a standard. This was worse than Twins Mission!

Guest monk sante
Yeah you can say Balls to the story but then it becomes like some Seagal sh!t.

I agree 100%......this movie did nothing for me, plot was weak, not enough action and Xing Yu's talents were wasted big time! :|

Archived