Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nunoloveus

Just saw the Mandarin version, quick thoughts:

-Better than SPL in my opinion, due to less cheese (always a good thing)

-Better atmosphere

-More realistic fighting with lots of hard hits

-I thought the build up to the finale was handled well, although there were some moments where they messed it up, HK style (Ray Lui flying through the air and shot like a bird? Come on!)

The problem is it's REALLY hard to impress people nowadays, so much has been done already.

Nuno

Guest peringaten

Big boys playing cops 'n' robbers, innit.

It was alright. Not really for me though, I didn't think this was a good film. Don't get me wrong, the choreo when it came was excellent, revelatory for some it seems, but not for my tastes.

Think I would have liked it more had it been more balls to the wall. Instead I thought it was more balls; too much fluff and shallow plot development. Appreciated a few walls getting smashed in the finale for the endeavoured achievement of said tasty scene, but think I'll stick to my martials more shapely.

Guest Beat TG

I think SPL is more poetic so the cheesy moments do fit very well.

overall, Flash Point is quite uneven as a movie (maybe the upcoming HK DVD will do justice) but I enjoyed it more than SPL.

Guest skulldugrey

great news! Flash Point is now available to preorder at Yesasia.com!! Deltamac is releasing the HK dvd on September 28th...just 3 more weeks!

Its seems that the only difference between the standard and limited edition DVD is the packaging. This was the case with Dragon Tiger Gate.

Quote from Yesasia

"This edition of Flash Point comes in special collectible packaging and is strictly limited."

Guest monk sante

Just finished watching this one and let me just say this film was a big let down! The plot was on the light side and ending gun battles/fights reminded me of the Benny Hill Show!

there is nothing new here folks! Save your money!

Sha Po Lang was by far a better film than this one, I was hoping for this film to exceed SPL but it just doesn't compare.:\

Guest DragonMa55

I saw Donnie Yen's Flashpoint, @#%$ it was good. Donnie Yen has finally come into his own and he's found a great partner in Wilson Yip. I'm still not sold on Donnie Yen as an onscreen performer but he nails it where it counts, the action, there's some absolutely bruising set-pieces in this film but it's counter-pointed with Wilson's stylish, nicely paced direction. The story is typical cops 'n' robbers stuff with Louis Koo as an undercover cop looking to take down three violent vietnamese brothers, Donnie Yen is his partner, I have to say these guys don't screw around, Colin Chou hasn't been this evil since Bodyguard from Beijing.

The action was exhilarating, Donnie has again introduced MMA into his style and actually makes it work, it's really cool to see Donnie suplex someone onto a table.

It was a damn good action flick even if the story weared abit thin at times

as long as the direction itself is fresh and different from the standards, plot construction and originality doesn't matter to me anymore. yeah, Flash Point is so straight-forward yet I think it delivered due to Yip's style (this is the guy who made Bullets Over Summer, Bio-Zombie and Juliet In Love before moving on to SPL and this movie: all considered masterpieces and original movies).

Guest pressureworld
will incorporate moves from Judo, Ultimate Fighting Championship, all various types of martial arts, would not use wires, doubles. Realistic fights need not be brutal, we'll use strength to convey the beauty."

Donnie will always be the man

Guest skulldugrey

I finally saw it at the Toronto Film Festival, and it makes a great companion piece to Invisible Target, only it's even better! true, IT has more action as a whole, but Flash Point is indeed a case of quality over quantity. also, Wilson Yip's (who I had the pleasure of meeting last night- [Donnie couldn't make it!]) direction is superb and the film is alive with vibrant colors. also, at only 87 min. long it's very fast paced. the fight with Xing Yu was shorter than I expected it to be, but the finale/fight with Collin Chou is every bit as long as you would want it to be! to make it simple, Flash Point is awesome and the experience of seeing it at TIFF was a lot of fun...the crowd loved it and was cheering every time Donnie Yen did a move, and it was the only film that I saw at TIFF which got a standing ovation at the end! incredible!!!!!

Extras for both editions has been confirmed!

-Making of

-Shooting Diary

-Gala Premiere

-Interviews with the director and cast

-Ultimate Fighters featurette

-Theatrical Trailers and Teasers

-Deleted Scenes

-TV Spots

Guest mits777

Yawn. I saw this recently and was bored to teats. Yes the action is pretty cool towards the end but getting there was like nails on a chalkboard. The wirefu was also too much into overdrive.

tinyurl.com/pv8do

Archived