Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

Beat TG, I just found the review you posted on another board, and it says basically the same thing I said:

"There are sporadic action scenes throughout the film, but they're all rather short. I thought they're being a little too stingy with length. With Invisible Target, you get desensitised with over-dosage of action, but Flash Point just leaves you wanting for more. There are two or three places which could definitely benefit from having extended action scenes without getting in the way of drama...

In the finale, we get ... the ... Donnie vs Ngai Sing exchange of fists. The camera was a mite too close in the beginning when the fight breaks out in a storage room on the 2nd floor...However, it is reduced too early to a one-man show, as Ngai Sing loses out too soon and is already limping in the last 2/5 of the fight, getting beaten up only.

The martial arts scenes in Flash Point are more evolutionary than revolutionary. If you've seen SPL, you'd know what to expect here... However, I don't like too much takedowns, chokes, ground holds, and all that, which feel sluggish, as in the case of the finale between Donnie Yen and Ngai Sing (or Sammo Hung vs Donnie Yen for that matter). Mixed Martial Arts or not, I still prefer trading of fists and kicks."

--------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly how I felt, and looks that I'm not the only one. ;)

Well, at least we can all thank Donnie for the reason to argue about the film :)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

I loved that final fight. I thought it was much more intense and faster than SPL. It had so much more to it. I have never seen anything like it before.

Guest dager in the cotton

So so film , good fights and violent acts plus a great long end fight, good stunts too.

reccomended!

Guest Beat TG
Beat TG, I just found the review you posted on another board, and it says basically the same thing I said

at least he was more positive about it.:b

Guest theportlykicker

I just want to chime in and say, it rocked! Donnie's clearly not going for traditional exchange-based kickboxing choreo anymore, he's trying something new, like he has been since Legend of the Wolf, but with this film he's finally got it right imo. He's all about energy and intensity.

If you can't appreciate that he's trying something new and giving HK action cinema a much needed kick up the backside, then that's your loss.

Honestly, do all of you live in Hong Kong? The movie hasn't been released too long in Hong Kong and all of you claimed you've seen it already. HOW?!?! Let me know so I can see it too!

Guest Chen Zhen
If you can't appreciate that he's trying something new and giving HK action cinema a much needed kick up the backside, then that's your loss.

cosign 100%. HK hasnt had much steam since Woo Ping and Corey basically left HK to work in the west.......SOMEBODY has to carry the HK torch....and while i do think a large sum of his filmography is suspect, i dont think anybody can hate on the fact that hes basically put the HK martial arts genre on his back

Guest BKarza

"Well,what I didnt like was that Donnie used in the 2 first short fights those bjj moves..we all know mma is the new hype but the short fight in the disco..the way he finished the guy off was kinda unrealistic"

That was probably the most realistic thing/scene to come out of hk. One guy knows nothing. The other knows subs. Guy one shoots for legs. Guy 2 blocks shoot, takes guy one down and subs him to a cross arm breaker. It happens that fast or faster. Try it yourself. Find a bjj practitioner and try to do a double leg takedown as your first or second move. Watch how fast you end up in that or a guillotine choke. After that, the first thing to pop into your mind will prob. be, "oh dammn/s***, now I see". Right now, you don't.

Anyone that is a real fan of hk kung fu and hk modern day style movies should understand that there is nothing realistic in their style. It's not the point. It's entertainment.

Guest Beat TG
we all know mma is the new hype but the short fight in the disco..the way he finished the guy off was kinda unrealistic..I kinda find the fights like "look I use grappling now" he could have used it a little bit more in a decent way..I thought he kinda over-used it...

he used alot of MMA elements but he made the fight scenes broken up with HK freestyle fighting in between and that was done brilliantly. it's nothing like those Tony Jaa fights which are too one-sided and had over-usage of like 6-7 muay thai techniques and acrobatic movements. and the fight at the disco was intended to end up that way, it was to show the meaning of someone being defeated in seconds.

Guest theportlykicker
interested to track down this movie regardless. but can someone confirm, is THIS movie the sequel/prequel to SPL?

Yeah, kinda. I believe it was originally intended to be a sequel but they changed the story and characters. All you need to know is that it was directed by the same guy, and of course, it was choreographed by and stars Donnie again.

Oh, and most of us who have seen it downloaded it. Yep, we're shady.:hat

Before we start any arguments, I am talking strictly about choreography. Flash Point has some of the most freshest, innovative, gut-wrenching, literally punched in the f**king face type of choreography that we all love. I have been training in MMA for a little now and know that it's not necessarily the most exhilirating martial art to watch. I must admit, some UFC fights can get drawn out and tedious even amongst some of the best in the leauge. But some how Donnie added some traditional 80's type choreography mixed in with some MMA and created a SHOW-STOPPING BLIZZARD OF HK CHOREOGRAPHY! Over the few years 80% of the martial arts movies I have been watching were Shaw re-releases. Here and there were sprinkled gems like SPL, Ong Bak, Fatal Contact and maybe some Korean and Japanese movies. But my point is choreography in martial arts films are at a low. Flash Point has given me that hope that martial arts can be resurrected to the Golden Age! (Yeah right... just a little too optomistic)... anyways just go see the movie even if it's only for the brutal fight scenes. Now it's time to resurrect Hip Hop and we be on a roll!

Guest Beat TG
Flash Point has given me that hope that martial arts can be resurrected to the Golden Age! (Yeah right... just a little too optomistic)...

the only problem is that there are barely ADs who are as creative and ambitios like Donnie. the industry simply needs more of them.

Guest ben785

oh ok cool. i am going to check out this film. thanks for the heads up. yes i agree also, there arent enough ambitious people in the HK film scene like there were in its peak. hopefully there will be new generations of actors yet to come who have the same inspiration and vision like their peers did previously

Guest Yi Long
the only problem is that there are barely ADs who are as creative and ambitios like Donnie. the industry simply needs more of them.

There are, but it seems they arent getting any work in movies anymore.

From what I've seen from the Yuen Biao tv series Real Kung Fu, those guys could still deliver the goods. The problem is that Hong Kong is more interested in making either sappy romance movies with young pop-stars, or gritty triad/crime movies about cops and robbers.

It seems making a good martial arts action movie is just too much work and takes too much effort, as even when it's a good movie, it will only be in the cinemas for maybe a few weeks before it will be rushed to DVD, where only the martial arts enthusiasts will buy the official DVD, whereas people with only a slight interest will just download it or buy a bootleg.

So it's more profitable to shoot a 3-week movie with some popstars, as their fans will be 'loyal' to their idol, and thus buy the official DVD.

Personally, I feel that's a huge shame, as I think movies arent just about box-office and dvd-sales. I feel if you make a great martial arts movie (or any movie for that matter), it will find a bigger world-wide audience and will continue to make money for many many many years, due to dvd/ hd-dvd/download sales. Not to mention selling the international distribution rights. Something which you wont accomplish with a simple movie which is only about the local popstars.

A good movie will make money. Maybe not the first week, or not even the first year... but over time it will find an audience. Nice example of this would be Days of Being Wild, which was a box-office flop I believe when first released, but went on to become a classic arthouse title (but still hasnt been released properly on DVD! >: )

Guest Chen Zhen

^^^^proof of ur theory = virtually every Yuen Woo Ping movie made after Drunken Master...most of them were box office flops, but are widely renowned as being some of the best the genre has to offer

Guest Egocentrik1

B-Karza:

That was probably the most realistic thing/scene to come out of hk. One guy knows nothing. The other knows subs. Guy one shoots for legs. Guy 2 blocks shoot, takes guy one down and subs him to a cross arm breaker. It happens that fast or faster. Try it yourself. Find a bjj practitioner and try to do a double leg takedown as your first or second move. Watch how fast you end up in that or a guillotine choke. After that, the first thing to pop into your mind will prob. be, "oh dammn/s***, now I see". Right now, you don't.

I wasnt talking about the technique as it self..I found it unrealistic to use that technique in this invorement/situation..

to me it didnt fit..it was more like "Look everybody, I use a bjj technique" if this happened in HK all the friends of the guy would have kicked donnies head in on the floor regardless if hes a cop...thats what I meant...in HK nobody watches their friends getting choked out on the floor or tapped out...specially not if they triads or criminals..

and by the way ur last sentence I just ignore...:hat

Guest Beat TG
I found it unrealistic to use that technique in this invorement/situation.. to me it didnt fit..it was more like "Look everybody, I use a bjj technique" if this happened in HK all the friends of the guy would have kicked donnies head in on the floor regardless if hes a cop...

:lol

remember that there were cops around the place so getting into one cop's situation would sure led to all crooks being arrested too easily, no matter how much confidence and desire those friends has. and in that sense, it's realistic rather than the other way around.

Guest Egocentrik1

I lived in HK and still live 2 flight hrs from there...and as long no guns are pointed the friends would jump in...besides from that, no cop would do that kind of move..I mean the arm bar using his legs..that looked too much like a ufc fight...the guy even tapped out...:rollin

Guest Beat TG

if that's how you do it in HK, then I'm sure Donnie wanted to glorify it differently, a way for showcasing the technique much better and effectively. after all, this is just a movie, in movies you can make things look differently than how it's done in real-life. take alot of HK 80s and mid 90s crime movies, those movies glorified the crime life in HK highly, when it fact it's contrary to what those movies show (I'm sure HK has gangs, crime activities and such nonetheless).

I want to hear everyone's opinion. When I heard Flash Point was coming out this year, I honestly believed that it was going to be the best martial arts film this year. There are many films coming out with tons of potential but in the back of my mind I still thought Flash Point would emerge victorious. After watching it, I stand firmly by my decision. Films such as War and Warlords (both starring Jet Li) have yet to come out, Kinta 1881 has potential, Dynamite Warrior, Rush Hour 3, Invisible Target, Fatal Contact (I saw this in 07), in my opinion are all worthy competitors but fall short in comparison to Flash Point. So what do all of you think?

Guest Beat TG

nothing comes close to Flash Point in terms of originality. some people may not like this new style but they can't deny it's original either.

Archived