Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Elhcay

Donnie Yen seems to be quite happy with Xing Yu's and Ngai Sing's performances. Their fights would be something to look out for.

Guest Yi Long

Hmmm... too bad about the slow first hour. I dont get why they even bother with letting us wait so long for good action, as the action is what we're watching these movies for.

In the Line of Duty and Fist of Legend and others, handle the action perfectly, with lots of action all through the movies. Why make the audience wait!?

Guest Beat TG
Hmmm... too bad about the slow first hour. I dont get why they even bother with letting us wait so long for good action, as the action is what we're watching these movies for.

I would rather watch a plotted movie with quite alot of action than a plotless action movie. SPL's biggest success was of course the action, but the plot and characters had it's back with a wonderful presentation to the overall content.;)

Guest Yi Long

I agree... but SPL never got boring during the build-up, as it had a good pacing and stuff happening. I'm not sure yet if this movie has that same quality.

Cause I'd rather have a plotless action movie which is full of action from start to finish, instead of a plotless movie that will only have action in the last 30 minutes, and is a drag the first hour.

For instance, Tom Yum Goong is a horrible horrible movie... plot-wise... but it's great action scenes from start to finish give it more replay-value then most other actionmovies which have a better plot/story, but skimp on the action till the final act.

Guest Beat TG
I'd rather have a plotless action movie which is full of action from start to finish, instead of a plotless movie that will only have action in the last 30 minutes, and is a drag the first hour.

don't get me wrong. if it weren't for the action in SPL, I wouldn't have loved it as much as I do now. in fact, action is what makes me see a movie. the point I made is if drama and action can work, then a movie as whole will be more than just a piece of the overall content. SPL proved that and due to that, I want entirety instead of worthy pieces in action movies.

Guest Chen Zhen

i'd rather see a movie with a good plot that drags with a small amount of action, than a garbage movie loaded with action. ie SPL>>>>>>>>>TYG

Guest The Running Man

Movie's that drag, drag because they drag. Has nothing to do with if there is no action or not.

A regular drama can be slow because it's not interesting. A drama can have bad film making or crummy storyline.

It's not that different with an action movie, and whatever or not the action is spread or only one section has nothing to do with whatever or not the rest of the movie holds up.

Guest dyenboy

spl was so great because u were never bored during the movie..keeps u attentive..

as for tyg..its was blah..the action had to make up for the movie..and some was not that great..

but sounds like fp will be like spl, good buildup and all out brawl..can't wait

Guest skulldugrey

well, Flash Point will be playing at the Toronto Film Festival this year, and I won't miss it for anything, so I'll let you know how it turns out, but I assume it will be awesome. SPL was excellent, the first time I watched it I expected there to be more action, so I was a little surprised to see that most of it comes at the end, but regardless, SPL was well-paced, and in all the repeat viewings I've realized it's truly a case of "quality over quantity". I think it will benefit Flash Point to follow a similar formula as SPL by building up the story and characters, while hopefully giving us small tastes of things to come. and from the looks of the trailer, the things to come in Flash Point will most likely make it the best action film of the year!

I have to say, after all the shiite posters of floating heads and worst yet, paste on heads, this is a very good movie poster, simple, to the point.

Guest Beat TG

Review by Jinnaboy at the KFC Cinema board:

"donnie yen is the chinese McBain. at one point in the movie he throws his badge at his superior after beating some poor sod to death, and he then says " arrest me if you can touch me"

this movie is bad @#%$ ass to the core.

the story is as simple and straight forward as you can get, the whole set up harkens back to the 80s action heydays where evrything is just a big build up to action action action. a note to hitman, dont bother posting "professional" reviews of this film, especially ones from asia. this is a pure genre film for genre fans. word of mouth is whats important to get this baby out there.

ok, the story is simple as @#%$, 3 bad dudes are baaaaaad, so bad, they @#%$ poison baby foods and drive by shoot old ladies taking their time crossing the road, louis koo is the partner thats got evrything to loose. louis crosses the bad dudes, bad dudes @#%$ luois up. donnie spends the rest of the movie @#%$ the bad dudes up. and he ****s them up in the most awesome and brutal socket locking way possible.

tho straight forward and cliche, the casts and director really make the non action scenes enjoyable by inducing their characters with "charm". no, this is not a romantic comedy and this is not the usual "horizontal peace sign across the eyes and wink" kinda asian pop idol charm. the movie is actually quite funny at times, different to the usual master/apprentice approach to the whole undercover scheme. louis and donnie's characters act like macho wise cracking @#%$ friends to each other. the chemistry between them really works if you speak cantonese. more then that, the movie is self conscious of its cliche plot and throws in some wtf kinda quirky moments ala johnny To to spice it up and it works well.

ok, on to the actions. there are numerous 'small burst' action sequences that lasts no more then 3-4 minutes each. there are quite a number of these actually. they range from assassinations, triad gang fights , car chases and a white dude who got his head broken open via a flying bottle of johnny walker. fret not, all these scenes are well shot and involves ngai sing or donnie and xin yu doing their thing in one way or the other.

after that, there are 2 major money shot action scenes. the first one is between xin yu and donnie that starts off with a hospital shoot out to a street chase (with a bit of parkour) that ends in a street side cafe . oh man, there is no use describing how awesome this scene is on writing. i'll tell you one thing tho, this scene deals with how brutal real street fights are by having the bystanders involved. riveting stuff.

then theres the grand finale that lasts more then 30 minutes where evrything is thrown in the mix, sniping action , car action, warehouse shootings, and finally. ngai sing and donnie's big show off.

i dont wanna elaborate, but when donnie said he studied MMA well to shoot this film, he @#%$ meant it. i could imagine a chiropractor having nightmares after witnessing this scene. man, the 30 minute finale actually left me wanting more.

all in all, believe the hype, donie and wilson yip delivered in spades"

Guest thundered mantis

How much time till good HK DVD? Mainland´s will surely hit stores before, but they are usually poorer visual quality

Guest Senor Quack

What's up with that last poster. While it looks pretty cool the credits at the bottom are actually for Shawshank Redemption???

Really looking forward to seeing this especially the Collin Chou and Donnie Yen fight. The only martial art film this year that has got me really excited.

Archived