Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest froffeecoffee

Just received my DVD today and watched this awesome movie. Great action. It's good to see Yen making the effort to give fans something unique and different. I remember an interview about LotW, where even back then he was wanting to move forward and create new groundbreaking fighting styles for film. Looks like he's finally making good on that promise.

I've finally watched Flashpoint and am very impressed with the growth from Donnie in his choreography. H now seems to understand what type of action fits modern set pieces.

Legend of the Wolf was sort of a peek into where he would end up, however, his other works, Blade II, and Princess Blade gave him a chance to visualize his work with other director's input.

Kudos to DY, and I hope he establishes a younger wave into the future of action direction...

Guest TheGrimReaper

Flash Point is an improvement in Donnie Yen's choreography and Colin Chou looks great in his villain role... Will wait to see what is his performance as bad guy in Forbidden Kingdom oposing Jackie and Jet... I even manage to hook my wife too on all kinds of martial arts movies and Flash Point is one of her favorites... And Donnie Yen is now her favorite actor hehe ...

Just received my special edition DVD from DDDHouse and I finally got to see the movie. The movie was fantastic!! I enjoyed the character development and don't mind the story build up with minimum action at all. Donnie has come a long way in the acting department. Louis Koo is a great actor and the rest of the cast was as well, especially Collin Chou. How cool is he?!? All the action was great. I liked the Collin Chou intro fight scene at the golf range. He looked unstoppable there. The final fight scene is the type of fresh choreography that is missing and needed in most of today's modern action flics. Donnie has taken it another level. Kudos to Donnie and crew!

One of my few minor gripes was the music. At times it didn't go well with the scenes, especially at the end. At other times the music was missing and it was uncomfortably quiet. Just something my son pointed out to me and I sort of agreed. Again, it's a minor gripe and I truly enjoyed this entire movie. Great stuff. Can't wait for future Donnie Yen productions.

Guest Milkyway

I thought Comfort Chan (who composed the Infernal Affairs trilogy) did a great job using fitting beat and melody for different scenes. SPL, while I dig the music, tended to get too overplayed (even in dialogue scenes) making it feel like watching opera (guess that had alot to do with the the tone of the movie) but here it was composed and executed flawlessly. Chan knows his stuff!

Guest Dragon Ma

I picked up the DVD for this today, one of the interesting things I found out was that Ha Ping played the mother Colin Chou, pretty cool shout out to Shaw Bros. fans.

Just received my special edition DVD from DDDHouse and I finally got to see the movie. The movie was fantastic!! I enjoyed the character development and don't mind the story build up with minimum action at all. Donnie has come a long way in the acting department. Louis Koo is a great actor and the rest of the cast was as well, especially Collin Chou. How cool is he?!? All the action was great. I liked the Collin Chou intro fight scene at the golf range. He looked unstoppable there. The final fight scene is the type of fresh choreography that is missing and needed in most of today's modern action flics. Donnie has taken it another level. Kudos to Donnie and crew!

One of my few minor gripes was the music. At times it didn't go well with the scenes, especially at the end. At other times the music was missing and it was uncomfortably quiet. Just something my son pointed out to me and I sort of agreed. Again, it's a minor gripe and I truly enjoyed this entire movie. Great stuff. Can't wait for future Donnie Yen productions.

I never saw this film and decided to pick it up this weekend because I liked SPL. If it wasn't for that fight between Donnie and Sammo in SPL I would like this one more I think. The music in FP caught my attention right away and it kept adding to the movie as it wound down. I found it suited the movie very much, funny enough.

I never really thought about the music for Flaspoint and SPL. Now that I think about it I enjoyed the music in Flashpoint much better. I will say the music playing during the Donnie Yen/Wu Jing fight was awesome and perfectly moody. All in all I enjoyed the soundtrack to Flashpoint more.

Chinatown Kid

Flash Point was awesome. Donnie Yen is the modern day Bruce Lee imo blending realistic and flashy martial arts together in great looking fight scenes. The Indian style music lended a great feel to the production. I'm hoping for more similar great movies in the future from Yen.

Guest WuxiaFan

Agree with Chinatown Kid: FP was awesome, the score was awesome, the fight scenes were awesome, and the DD release, yes, awesome.

I loved SPL also. I think the fight scene between Wu Jing and Donnie Yen was one of the greatest fight scenes ever filmed. What do you think, Chinatown Kid?

I liked Spl better,but the end fight in Flashpoint was awesome.

Am looking forward to seeing the Yip Man film with Donnie Yen.

Chinatown Kid
Agree with Chinatown Kid: FP was awesome, the score was awesome, the fight scenes were awesome, and the DD release, yes, awesome.

I loved SPL also. I think the fight scene between Wu Jing and Donnie Yen was one of the greatest fight scenes ever filmed. What do you think, Chinatown Kid?

I loved SPL as well Wuxiafan, especially the Wu Jing fight but even more the Donnie vs Sammo battle. Personally I liked Flashpoint more but their both great! :)

Nothing in Flashpoint touches that Sammo-Donnie scrap but overall I have changed my mind and believe flashpoint is a better movie.

FP was an all-out action flick which gives audiences the type of action only experts can provide. The Donnie / Jing showdown in the alley in SPL is imo, right up there with scenes like Lee/Norris in WOTD, and Chan/Urquidez in WOM, and others along that line. Donnie's finale against Chou made me squirm in my seat as I felt the impact of those blows... :D

SlothStyleKungFu

I think the final fight in Flashpoint might be the best martial fight in the past ten years... wait a minute before you disagree... BECAUSE it is so forward-thinking. I think its going to be seen as a benchmark for films to draw from for the next few years.

Okay, yeah, so Chuck Norris was throwing in sub grappling moves in Walker Texas Ranger and Donnie mixed some previously in SPL, but I think in Flashpoint the choreography had more impact and seamless transitions. Tony Jaa kicking it old school, Donnie Yen finally maturing as an action scene helmer (lets face it, he had a dismal start),... it gives one hope.

Morgoth Bauglir

When I first saw the final fight in Flash Point I had instantly decided that it was the greatest fight ever filmed. I had to watch it abotu 20 times before I could watch other movies again. I thought the movie was average at best, but the final fight makes the movie way above average

Finally bought on yesasia.com and have to say, this is a more whole movie than SPL was. However, I liked the fighting in SPL than FP.

Music was better in SPL than FP. FP had a more grounded, punch and pound feel while SPl was more stylish.

Both awesome movies but for fighting wise, nothing right now can touch the alley scene in SPL.

I think FP was more straightforward in it's approach, it's a cops'n'robbers film in the mould of 'In the line of duty' essentially. Alot of credit has to go to Wilson Yip, his visual eye really helps these films stand out.

The final fight in FP is a brilliant piece of choreography, both Colin and Donnie do some of their best work, it's just amazing to watch.

SlothStyleKungFu

I suggested my nephew watch it, he's 12 yrs younger and I use him as a generation gauge, and he just told me he and his buddies thought it sucked.

He liked the fights well enough but he felt the story and acting was terrible and there wasn't enough action to make up for it. I dont know, the acting and plot didn't strike me as great, but I didnt expect much in that area. Maybe I've digested so many 70's and 80's action flicks with disposable plotlines and shoddy acting that I forgive as long as the action satisfies. I guess his generation feels the need for the film makers to really sell the story, even if its kinda' Michael Bay commercial transparent or in a Park Chan Wook heavy, operatic grandstanding vein.

bamboo spear

I was bored with the movie itself, but the end fight made up for it. Donnie Yen really got to shine. Poor Colin Chou got completely owned!

Morgoth Bauglir

No way man! Collin Chou completely owned the first half of that fight. But did he get owned in the second half? Yeah he did, big time!

does anyone think the final fight resembles the final fight in Way of the Dragon? the way they switch and rely on certain moves; bruce having a hard time to get through Chuckie's style and later on realizes that he has to adapt to him so he can defeat him. same thing happens in FP fight (not so obvious though), Donnie can't seem to beat him until he switches to ground techs to defeat him. yeah?

Archived