Flash Point (2007)

Guest Beat TG

Guest Morgoth
the fight... the whole fight... whatever. funny how you always end up justifying yourself more clearly just to make me seem like the one misunderstanding.:P it's better if you justify yourself clearly from the beginning than later next time (that's how I often misunderstand your posts).

Wow Beat, I guess you just want to me to keep repeating myself. YOU are the one that said that I said that it took away from "the whole fight". Look through your posts where you are quoting me, I NEVER SAID THAT. WHAT I SAID IS THAT IT TOOK AWAY FROM THE FIGHT, I NEVER SAID IT TOOK AWAY FROM "THE WHOLE FIGHT". YOU said that. So yes, YOU are the one that is misunderstanding.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Morgoth
who's the one going off-topic now?:)

So you're saying you didn't justifying yourself clearly and that I'm the one confused because of that? can totally see where you were going elsewhere with your posts after I made logical posts in response to you. so don't even try to blame me for being the one misunderstanding.

You are the one who keeps going off topic. When you put words into my mouth, I will call you out on it. don't act surprised.

Where did I say I didn't justify myself? Stop putting words in my mouth. WHat the hell is wrong with you man? that aint cool. I justified myself clearly. You said that I said that the wind up punch took away from "the whole fight". I said it took away from the fight. If you actually read my posts instead of just quoting me you would see that I loved the fight, but I didn't like the wind up punches because it took away from the realism. How many times do I need to repeat myself Beat?

Guest Chinatown Kid

I had no problem with Donnie throwing the bolo punch in that fight, in fact I thought it was cool and stylish of Yen to do so. As far as it being realistic, it depends on how much in control the person is during the fight before he throws it, if the guy is pretty confident of his abilities and feels in control than he may have time to get off a flashy punch like this if he is quick enough. And Donnie is quick no doubt......

I respect your opinon morgoth and am not trying to argue man, if you don't think the bolo punch was realistic and rather Yen had not thrown it, then it's definately your right to state how you feel. Just remember that not everyone is going to agree and that's their right too.

I never thought it looked out of place, maybe coz I've seen that punch a number of times in his old movie so it was nice to see him do it once again in Flashpoint...

Anyways... BAMMMM... out of place?

115214835447777ceplfyhkfa7.gif

Guest Morgoth

I respect your opinon morgoth and am not trying to argue man, if you don't think the bolo punch was unrealistic and rather Yen had not thrown it, then it's definately your right to state how you feel. Just remember that not everyone is going to agree and that's their right too.

My thoughts exactly. Beat has his opinion, I have mine. I have no problem with that. But when I make my points and someone twists my words around, and then flat out makes stuff up about me, I will show my displeasure everytime. If someone tries to make me mad, then you will usually get a reaction out of me. Thank you for your thoughts Chinatown Kid. You are as cool as they come.

Guest ironfistedmonk

I finally got to watch this and I have to say I was impressed with the action, Donnie has really moved up in my estimation after this and Sha Po Lang (I'm still trying to blank Dragon Tiger Gate from my memory and will let him off with that one as it was more a comic book style film). He appears to be trying out different things in his choreography to bring something new to HK action movies, no generic wu shu stylings here (don't get me wrong I love the wu shu performers but they don't fit in a modern setting). At least Donnie has moved away from the 100mph sped up phase he went through and is coming up with some hard hitting action.

Well I'll tell you I look forward to any movie Donnie makes lately

Me to, I think Hong Kong film rests on his shoulders right now, all this pretty overpolished Wuxia is getting old.

if the guy is pretty confident of his abilities and feels in control than he may have time to get off a flashy punch like this if he is quick enough. And Donnie is quick no doubt......

It's a cocky punch for sure, but I'd believe somone with Yen's abilities could no doubt pull it off.

Guest Dragon Ma

I didn't find the punch out of place, it was just Donnie showing off.

I thought the film was a great action film, Donnie's really come into his own in the last few years, I was never much of a fan before. That quick fight in the elevator was intense and extremely well done, Donnie's beatdown of Xing Yu was absolutely brutal, you could see, as soon Xing threw that child Donnie would go berserk, and he did.

The final fight though, was a complete barn-burner, both Colin and Donnie brought their A-game here.

Guest Morgoth

Well obviously I have commented on this too much, but I will give one last comment. if someone did that to me in a fight, especially more than once, then I would give a quick punch to the face or a kick to the gut. But Collin Chou was already beaten up when Donnie did those punches, so that means that Chou wouldn't have been able to react quickly enough. So you are right, Donnie was just showing off. But keep in mind, even though someone is beaten up badly, something like that wind up punch could have given Chou an oppurtunity to get a lucky shot in and the fight could have changed momentum. But of course, this is a movie fight, and Donnie can do whatever he wants, but most of the fight felt very real to me. The wind up punch bugged me, and it felt out of place. That is my feeling on it.

Yeah Morgoth that's your opinion I don't think there needed to be an arguement over it, but I believe unless any of us were professional boxers/kickboxers Yen could probably throw those punches all over us in a real fight.

Guest presureworld

Donnie is the truth I've been saying that for years. I haven't seen Flash Point yet I have it on dvd but never did get around to checking it out

Guest Morgoth
Yeah Morgoth that's your opinion I don't think there needed to be an arguement over it, but I believe unless any of us were professional boxers/kickboxers Yen could probably throw those punches all over us in a real fight.

Very true Tosh, but Collin Chou is not exactly "any of us". And the only reason I got into an argument is because Beat twisted my words around, and then completely made shit up. Look through the posts, and you will see that my problem was that he said I said "the whole fight", but I didn't say that. I shouldn't have had to repeat myself so many times.

Just got around to watching this last night and I have to say it's the best thing to come out of HK since SPL, sure there were some plotholes and shakey editing but this is what I come to expect out of HK films over the years, It was a great looking movie, I have to give a big up to the music, almost an Indian feel to it, it was subtle and really added to the film. The exploding chicken was hilarious, and I loved the beautiful downtown Hong Kong night scenes. I think it could of used a good fight scene through the second act but that end fight was the real deal.

Guest Milkyway

I've always been fascinated by how Donnie shoots fight scenes. LotW, Shanghai Affairs, Puma, Highlander, Blade 2, The Princess Blade, and Twins Effect all led to breaking new grounds with SPL, DTG and now Flash Point. I don't even know what he will do next but I'm sure it's going to be different from both his own movies and from others, so that should be interesting.

Guest The Running Man

"The wind up punch" wasn't about "showing off". If you watch the fight again, he does it once and connects. Then, when he goes for it a second time, it's a fake out and throws off Collin Chou.

Guest Milkyway

a trademark of his, but I can understand what you say Running Man. Donnie choreographs through different paths which means different approach to motivations, SPL and Flash Point being no exceptions. Flash Point lean towards realism so Donnie guided that punch to that realism to create connections and a real sense of reality, even when it looked willingly executed.

Guest TheGrimReaper

Both two last movies Donnie has made are extremely fast paced and with great choreography I prefer the SPL to Flash Point, because the story has more tension and was quite fascinating watching Sammo Hung back in business...

Guest will91XingYu

I though it looked cool, i hope Colin Chou does more stuff in hong kong. I can't wait to see what Donnie Yen does next, i heard it's like a Spooky Encounters/ Mr Vampire type film, also he's got a new understudy from the mainland, he's won loads of wushu competitions but i can't remember his name!

Guest Milkyway

Unfortunately Donnie won't action choreograph Painted Skin as originally planned, and neither will Wilson Yip helm it (but Gordon Chan is) nor Fan Bing Bing be in it. good news is Donnie's protegé, Chang Zhou, will have a major role in the movie and will thereafter collaborate with Donnie on more projects.

Guest will91XingYu

Cool, Chan Zhou! Thats the one, couldn't remember, thanks. I'm looking forward to this, is a period or modern day movie?

Archived