The Warlords / 投名状 (2007)

Guest udar55

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Running Man

Thanks LoBo. Hopefully Magnolia will put out both versions like they did with other films.

Guest Russell123
Well deserved, Jet Li was great in Warlords!

Also loved Red Cliff.. can't wait for the second part.

ya i also think so and really a nice film it is

Hey all. I got the Magnolia version of this film for cheap, not knowing so much was changed! I was wondering for those out there who have seen both cuts of this film if you could expound on the differences. DVD Beaver gave a little insight, mentioning more violence, possibly a rape scene (confirm?) and a re-ordered scene, but I want some more specifics. Are there any important conversations or character bits that I'm missing out on? Also the soundtrack has apparantly been redone. Anywhere I can hear the original soundtrack? Oddly, DVDcompare doesn't have anything on this film. Love the film, I just want to know what I'm not seeing.

Originally Posted by massa_yoda

Love the film, I just want to know what I'm not seeing.

Well, if you do love this film then trash your butchered Magnolia version, stay away from the cut UK disc as well and settle for the beautiful HK Mega Star edition. Uncut (a whopping 13 minutes longer than the US version), an overall very pleasant PQ and an unbelievably powerful 7.1 audio mix. Its pricey, admittably - 212 HK dollars at DDD House - but its really worth it!

Guest Markgway
for the beautiful HK Mega Star edition. Uncut (a whopping 13 minutes longer than the US version), an overall very pleasant PQ and an unbelievably powerful 7.1 audio mix. Its pricey, admittably - 212 HK dollars at DDD House - but its really worth it!

I've been waiting for it to come down to a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by massa_yoda

Well, if you do love this film then trash your butchered Magnolia version, stay away from the cut UK disc as well and settle for the beautiful HK Mega Star edition.

I always try to get the best version of a movie, i dropped the ball this time because it was an impulse buy, so I didn't do the research beforehand. With all the good releases by Well Go USA and Vivendi, I figured distributors were done butchering...I was wrong! Fortunately, I got this as part of a buy one DVD, get a second for $1. So this was just a bonus to my other purchase.

Guest Yi-Long
I always try to get the best version of a movie, i dropped the ball this time because it was an impulse buy, so I didn't do the research beforehand. With all the good releases by Well Go USA and Vivendi, I figured distributors were done butchering...I was wrong! Fortunately, I got this as part of a buy one DVD, get a second for $1. So this was just a bonus to my other purchase.

I don't think they'll ever be done butchering movies. 13 Assassin's is also cut by 20 minutes orso. I saw the Devil is also having multiple different cuts.

Iron_Leopard

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on this forum already about this movie but I just wanted to post my thoughts on it after watching it for the first time since it was released here in the States. Also I know this isn't a martial arts film so I don't know if it belongs here or in Asian Cinema.

Is this Jet Li's best performance? I've watched "Hero", "Fearless" and this film all recently and his acting and screen presence is just amazing to me. I truely believe he and his career is what Bruce Lee's would have looked like had he lived. Between his martial arts skill, screen presence and acting ability Jet Li is the true successor to Lee more than anyone else.

When I was watching this movie something about it felt very familar. It was about halfway through when I realized I was watching a remake of Chang Cheh's "Blood Brothers". A movie still fresh in my head since a first time viewing about a week ago.

I've only recently began to brush up on my Chinese history and still know very little about the Taipang Rebellion. But that is about to change because I'm going to order a book about this very topic. But 50-70 million in just 12 years???? That's F'N insane. But is this yet again another perfect example of religion doing far worse than good? Guess I'll find out when I delve deeper on the subject.

Minus the Religion aspect of the movie "Warlords" also reminded me a lot of "Kingdom of Heaven". With grand epic shots, phenomenal production design, and brutal realistic battle scenes (so why hire Ching Sui Tung?). No other movie has put me in it's time period like KOH but this one comes close.

Overall a good movie. But probably won't be very rewatchable like Chan's next film was. I think that's been my problem with post 2000 martial arts/historical movies. They aren't bad but just dosen't give you enough to keep coming back. Another example is "14 Blades". A recent first time watch that was enjoyable enough but will never watch again. If I get an urge to watch Donnie Yen sword fighting I'll just pop in Dragon Inn for the 20th time.

masterofoneinchpunch
13 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

...I've only recently began to brush up on my Chinese history and still know very little about the Taipang Rebellion. But that is about to change because I'm going to order a book about this very topic. But 50-70 million in just 12 years???? That's F'N insane. But is this yet again another perfect example of religion doing far worse than good? Guess I'll find out when I delve deeper on the subject.

It's probably more close to 20 million (which is still insane) from most sources I have read.  I would be wary blaming too much on religion as the fault behind this.  It started with the Qing, their crackdown on religion and in many ways another rising against the Manchu and I am simplifying it.  But it is still less than the deaths under Chairman Mao.  If you want scary read about the Four Pests Campaign.

Which book are you getting?  Is it Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom: China, the West, and the Epic Story of the Taiping Civil War?  I have been thinking about getting that one. 

Iron_Leopard

Yes that's the book I have my eye on. My Dad is the one that actually told me about the book. He loves history as well and knows I like anything regarding China. So he mentioned to me that exact book. I think that's the one I'm going to get.

masterofoneinchpunch
1 minute ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Yes that's the book I have my eye on. My Dad is the one that actually told me about the book. He loves history as well and knows I like anything regarding China. So he mentioned to me that exact book. I think that's the one I'm going to get.

Good to know.  I'll add that to my shopping list.  I love history as well.  I've got my eye on a multi-volume book on Hong Kong history (which I will write about in the book section when I get to it), but I digress.

I liked The Warlords.  Now I just wish I wrote something on it since it has been awhile since I have seen it.  I love when period films make you feel like you are in the period.  Many of the newer Mainland films have issues with this even though there are so many historical films being put out from them.  Often they are too antiseptic (where you really feel you are seeing a too clean set), too constrained by the rules and regulations of the government and/or just poorly made.  It's crazy when you compare them to the heyday of historical filmmaking in China with films like To Live, Farewell my Concubine (coprod with Hong Kong) and The Blue Kite. (though these are all 20th century)

One of Jet Li's best performances is a non-martial art film called Ocean Heaven.

Did you watch the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven or the theatrical one?

Iron_Leopard

I havne't seen many Mainland films but the one's I have seen just don't do it for me. You're right there's just something about the way they look and feel that fail to capture the same awe and atmosphere of Hong Kong films. I can't remember is "Bodyguards and Assassins" Mainland or Hong Kong?

I first watched the theatrical version of "Kingdom of Heaven" when it was first released and didn't care for it. Then around 2010 I rewatched it but this time the Director's Cut and was BLOWN AWAY by this movie. It went from being a long, drawn out boring film to a long, mesmerizing captivating film and one of my favorite's of the decade.

masterofoneinchpunch
10 minutes ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I havne't seen many Mainland films but the one's I have seen just don't do it for me. You're right there's just something about the way they look and feel that fail to capture the same awe and atmosphere of Hong Kong films. I can't remember is "Bodyguards and Assassins" Mainland or Hong Kong?

Teddy Chan's film is a coproduction (HKMDB has it as Hong Kong, but Beijing Polybona Film does coproduce it.)  Coproductions still have to play by the Mainland's rules (or any HK film that expects to be shown in the Mainland; now technically the rules were more lenient several years back and that is why some films you would see different endings for the Mainland for example, but it is no longer the case.)  I overall liked that film.  There is some subversive elements to it that I like (Johnnie To's Drug War has some as well when dealing with the Mainland; a filmmaker has to be subtle, but like with Hollywood's Hays Code of years back, there are ways of subverting it.)  Of course one can compare several films to Legendary Amazons (2011: Frankie Chan: China) and they will feel like a masterpiece.

14 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

Is this Jet Li's best performance? I've watched "Hero", "Fearless" and this film all recently and his acting and screen presence is just amazing to me.

I think Jet Li's best performance came 3 years later in a dramatic role.

Ocean Heaven.

Archived