Favorite Classic Actor with Weapons

Guest WhiteTiger1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dragonherb

Character wise I pick Damian Lau as the chinese swordsman in Duel to the Death, and Norman Chu as the japanese swordsman in the same movie. Third I would pick Damian Lau again as the drunken swordsman in Last Hurrah for Chivalry and Wei Pai was good in that movie too.

Guest Monk Sante

Are we speaking of independant kung fu films or Shaw Bro?

For me the trophy goes to Sammo Hung.:D

"Odd Couple" contains some of the best if not the best Broadsword and Spear fights on film.

Bruce, with the nunchucks, of course... However, there are plenty of photos of him with the Three Sectioned, Staff, and he must have been equally as dangerous with that weapon... :cool:

I agree with most of the ones previously mentioned. My favorites than stand out the most are:

Bruce Lee with the nunchukus in Return of the Dragon and Game of Death

Liu Chia Hui with the three sectional in Challenge of the Ninja

Jackie Chan with the Tonfas in Spiritual Kung Fu

I think Kuo Choi really shined with a variety of weapons. Gordon Liu is great at the pole and 3 section staff but I think pops was the true master of both.

Bruce Lee with nunchukus in Return of the Dragon and Game of Death

Liu Chia Hui with the three sectional staff

Jackie Chan with the tonfas in Spiritual Kung Fu

Liu Chia Liang with all weapons in Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu

Sammo Hung and Liu Chia Yung in Odd Couple

Guest daisho2004

1st. Without a doubt Bruce Lee with the Nunchucks in all his movies that he used them.

2nd. Gordon Liu Chia Hui with the Three Sectional Staff in "Master Killer", I also liked when he used the different types of Weapons in "Challenge of the Ninja" that was one of the best scenes of all the Shaw Brothers movies to me.

3rd. David Chiang in "Shaolin Mantis" when he also used a variety of Weapons at the End of the movie.

4th.Ti Lung in "Avenging Eagles" when he used Three Sectional Staff.

chiang sheng and phillip kwok with whatever they can use haha they'll use anything down to bowls and chopsticks

lu feng-spear

bruce lee with nunchucks in enter the dragon

gordon liu- three section staff in master killer pole in -eight diagram pole fighter and all weapons in -challenge of the ninja

yusuaki karata-saber

liu chia hui with the three sectional staff

hwang jang lee in hellz wind staff

jackie chan with tonfas in spiritual kung fu

that skinny guy who always uses secret weapons in the venoms movies like sling shots and throwing daggers is always good with hidden weapons

Guest Endsang

Hmmm.. let's see.

-Lau Kar Wing's spear in Odd Couple and three-sectional staff in Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog.

-Lam Ching Ying's fan in Magnificent Butcher.

-Yuen Biao's wooden bench in Young Master.

-Anything Gordon Liu could get his hands on in Heroes of the East. :)

- Lu Feng's trident in Two Champions of Shaolin

Guest Von Humboldt Fleischer

I think Sammo Hung, being an endlessly inventive performer, could make anything into a weapon, and make any weapon look good. And you really have to admire the Laus' and Ti Lung's skills with the three-sectioned staff. It's such an impossibly unweildy weapon, and they look so graceful and competent with it. I like the tricky, secret-type weapons too, though; Tong Gaai's hidden, treacherous, spring-mounted blades are and endless source of gurgling joy for me.

Oh - and David Chiang's one-armed three-sword juggling act in TRIPLE IRONS is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

Guest Endsang

I've found myself being easily impressed by anyone who can merely handle the three-sectional staff and the "soft" weapons like rope darts and chain whips. Have tried quite a few myself, I know how ridiculously unpredictable they can be and dangerous if you're not careful. I don't think Ti Lung "grew up" with the three-sectioned staff, and I think he practised mostly by himself for his part in Avenging eagle, which is really impressive. He looks like a true master wielding it.

Guest Drunken Monk
Jackie with double Tonfas in Spitual KF . he made them his bitches!

This is an absurdly underrated fighting scene. Jackie is fantastic utilizing the tonfas.

I also think Sammo hung can pick up pretty much any weapon and make it look fantastic. "The Odd Couple" and his three sectioned staff work in "Dirty Tiger, Crazy Frog" spring to mind.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"but 1st who came to mind when saw title of topic is Davind Chiang with chain-whip."

Chain Whip? Which film are you referring to please. I may be spacing a film I haven't watched for a while. just curious. :)

Guest Iron_Jinon
"but 1st who came to mind when saw title of topic is Davind Chiang with chain-whip."

Chain Whip? Which film are you referring to please. I may be spacing a film I haven't watched for a while. just curious. :)

or should it be called steel-whip?anyway he uses it at least in deadly duo,5 shaolin masters&shaolin temple.

Guest Endsang

Check 5 Shaolin Masters for optimal chain-ass-whipping. It really surprised me how well he used it.

Everyone's talking about Bruce Lee as soon as nunchucks are mentioned, but did you see Don Wong Tao in Secret Rivals? He had some nice moves when showing off for John Liu.

Guest will91XingYu

Speaking of numchuks check out Lo Rei at the end of Devil Killer(another reason why he's better than Chang Shan:p) and Philip Kwok in Kid with the Goledn Arm and Life Gamble.

After seeing Legendary Weapons of China, Lau-Kar Leung became of my favorites! But my all-time is always gonna be Bruce Lee with the nanchakus! :eek: No undercranking or anything. Absolutely amazing!

Guest clfnole

The weapon that David Chiang uses in 5 Shaolin Masters & Shaolin Temple is called Sam Jeet Bien or 3-section whip. Typically it is used in a pair. Honestly it is not that difficult to use once you get the hang of it and is much easier than the 9-sec whip - Gau Jeet Bien.

Archived