Slaughter in San Francisco

Guest Tigerstyles

Guest Tigerstyles

coming next week from HK on VCD gonna put it on DVD asap

aint never seen this GH title looking forward to it as it stars Wong Tao vs Chuck Norris it will be good to watch in its original language subtitled and fully widescreen. i will try and postsome video from it and screen caps.

Slaughter%20In%20San%20Fran%20JSVCD.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jirpy100

Haven't seen this in the "original", but I doubt it will make a difference. Really bad piece, by Lo Wei, I'm not not mistaken. Chuck says that whenever this is on tv in the USA all his friends call him to watch it. Hehe.

I bought this on VHS 15 years ago under the title "Karate Cop" from MNTEX Entertainment. It was very shoddy and definitely not one of Norris' best. What I found interesting was that Lo Wei was credited as "William Lowe" and Sylvia Chang was credited as "Sylvia Channing" in the English dub. I'm glad Don Wong Tao went on to better movies like "The Hot, The Cool, and the Vicious".

Guest Jesse Smooth

Yeah, it's a terrible movie, but I'd still buy it for historical/cheese value. Was supposed to star Bruce Lee, but disagreements w/Lo Wei put those plans to an end.

*****spoiler******

Co-star Dan Ivan is a real-life karate expert, but he doesn't do any fighting.

Guest Killer Meteor

I think SIFC was Golden Harvest's own title. Like Hand Of Death, there is a theatrical trailer for English markets using the title and narrated by one of the HK based English dubbers.

Guest Chinatown Kid

This flick is one of those that's so bad that it's good, great cheese imo. To be honest, I like Wong Tao's fighting style in this movie better than in his traditional kung fu style movies. He seems to be trying his best to mimic Bruce Lee in this film and his fights with the crooked Police Chief played by Dan Ivan and the Mafia boss of Frisco played by Norris are not to bad. Wong shows off his TKD kicking more in this flick than he has in any other film I've seen him in, and Norris gets to show off his wicked spinning back and spinning hook kick in the fight finale. Now of course the production values are shoddy, the acting is terrible and the story leaves alot to be desired, but i think this flick is great fun. I'm definately going to pick it up on DVD to have it in w/s. The movie was filmed in 1973 and released in 1981 after Norris's sebsequent popularity.

Guest Killer Meteor

It was released in HK in 1974. The US release was in 81

I love how in the finale Wong smashes a shovel repeatedly into Chuck's face then at the end of the scene we see Chuck hasn't got a scratch on him!

It's a pity GH didn't take the effort with this and Stoner to record them sync-sound or at least have the English leads and professional dubbers dub the dialgoue. Slaughter would feel far superior with a better dub job.

Guest Markgway
I think SIFC was Golden Harvest's own title. Like Hand Of Death, there is a theatrical trailer for English markets using the title and narrated by one of the HK based English dubbers.

Didn't know that, thanks.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yes KM, Chuck said one of the reasons he took this role as a villain is because Lo Wei assured him it wouldn't be released in the US. Then years later when Chuck became popular in movies like The Octagon, Slaughter in San Francisco was released here in the States to capitolize on it.

Yeah the bit with Wong beating Chuck in the face with the end of that broken hoe and Chuck not getting a mark on his face from it was pretty preposterious, but then again alot of what went on in this flick was. Like when the two guys were trying to rape Sylvia Chang and Cop Wong and his partner come to the rescue, then they get back to the Police Station and Sylvia claims they were just having fun and weren't trying to rape her, in fact they are good friends! Couldn't she have told Wong this before they got all the way back to the Police Station? WTF? Also when Wong's partner leaves the bar and he's so drunk he can barely walk. Then all of a sudden he runs into the bank robbers and proceeds to instantly sober up and bust out some kick ass Karate! :D

Guest Jesse Smooth

I think Chuck sued World Northal, who released it in the States. From what I read, till this day, he still has never seen the movie.

Hey at least it will be uncut unlike the US video prints (which are actually TV prints like other GH films released on video from World Northal).

Too bad Bruce had a little foresight on this production... The script was probably written on some chewing gum wrappers... :P

This is some real exploitation here, especially for Norris, he he he...

Guest daisho2004

I remember seeing this in the movies when it come out in the early 80's I thought it was going to be such a good movie... Boy was I Wrong! This movie totally sucked Chuck got his Ass kicked. I couldn't believe he made this garbage movie.:mad:

Guest Von Humboldt Fleischer

A MAN CALLED TIGER is a good movie, actually. There are some long boring gambling scenes (particularly in the VCD release), but there's some nice action too, including an awesome fight in a demolished building.

You know how sometimes there's a movie that everyone seems to remember as being really, really bad, and then you watch it yourself and it turns out the be incredibly fun? Well, SLAUGHTER IN SAN FRANCISCO isn't one of those movies. Everyone is right - it's pishflaps.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I thought the fight action was alot better in Slaughter in San Francisco than in A Man Called Tiger, Wang Tao and Chuck Norris are pretty good Martial Artists, Jimmy Wang Yu is not imo. I do enjoy watching Jimmy's crude brawling type style of fighting every now and then though like in MCT and Tattooed Dragon, but prefer the skilled MA's with great technique. I think the best Wang Yu ever looked fightwise was in The Man From Hong Kong, which is my favorite film of his.

I say bring Chuck back for the sequel, "Slaughter of A Man Called Tiger In San Francisco", and cast David Carradine and Steven Segal as Mafia Types working against ole' Chuck! It'll make MILLIONS!!!:D

Guest Tigerstyles

just got the vcd its title card reads YELLOW FACED TIGER with super imposed Slaughter in San fransisco on it.

great opening theme called Yellow Faced Tiger with Big Boss style music mixed with FOF tunes.. super widescreen picture not bad looking even on my 50inch

in that english narrated trailer, they play some of the music from Roman Tam's theme for 'Game of Death.' is that music ever actually played in Slaughter in San Francisco, or is the Mandarin print of GOD the only place you can find it?

Archived