Disciples of the 36 Chambers

Guest HAZ

Guest Iron Boat
I would also recommend it to fans of Lau Kar Leung's comedy.

And Lily Li fans will probably enjoy it.

and Ironboat when you say you didn't like it "at all", are you saying you didn't enjoy any of the fight scenes?

I didn't enjoy the fight scenes because they were to short and quick. the biggest disappointment is that I wanted to see more Gordon Liu and his role was minimal. I dont like Hsiao Hou's action scenes, his abilities nor his acting "wow" me...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only seen this movie one time and I remember loving it. I have the Dragon Dynasty release and I think it's time for a rewatch.

7 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I've only seen this movie one time and I remember loving it. I have the Dragon Dynasty release and I think it's time for a rewatch.

I tried rewatching it some months ago and stopped after 15 minutes or so...Did not like it 1st time much but at least then got to the end...

On 26.10.2007 at 4:17 PM, Guest Iron Boat said:

I didn't enjoy the fight scenes because they were to short and quick. the biggest disappointment is that I wanted to see more Gordon Liu and his role was minimal. I dont like Hsiao Hou's action scenes, his abilities nor his acting "wow" me...

He is great acrobat but in acting I can`t stand him, although not quite as bad as wong yu. Pity he and wong yu were regulars in lau kar leung flicks...

1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

I tried rewatching it some months ago and stopped after 15 minutes or so...Did not like it 1st time much but at least then got to the end...

I remember when I was watching I was having trouble getting through the beginning also but i stuck with it and was surprised at how much I ended up enjoying it. The fight scenes were really good as expected and the costumes and sets were top notch. Gordon's final performance as San Te also a bonus. I might have been pulling for this film also knowing it was one of Shaws last hurrahs. 

I remember when I was watching I was having trouble getting through the beginning also but i stuck with it and was surprised at how much I ended up enjoying it. The fight scenes were really good as expected and the costumes and sets were top notch. Gordon's final performance as San Te also a bonus. I might have been pulling for this film also knowing it was one of Shaws last hurrahs. 

I have some distant memories of end fight being good but I am not really into comedic kung fu or lau kar leungs formula actors so can`t really go back to this again. Having said that, lkl is quality filmmaker if you like his concept(people do not get often killed and have lot comedy). It just does not always appear here. Appreciate lot tho shaolin mantis, heroes of the east, challenge of the masters and martial club, Lady is the boss I haven`t watched yet..

1 hour ago, Tex Killer said:

I have some distant memories of end fight being good but I am not really into comedic kung fu or lau kar leungs formula actors so can`t really go back to this again. Having said that, lkl is quality filmmaker if you like his concept(people do not get often killed and have lot comedy). It just does not always appear here. Appreciate lot tho shaolin mantis, heroes of the east, challenge of the masters and martial club, Lady is the boss I haven`t watched yet..

I really need to see more LKL movies. I've only seen his most popular ones. Of those you mentioned I've only seen Heroes of the East. I've just gotten so cheap the last few years that I don't buy anything anymore. And that's pretty much the only way to see these movies as far as I know. I only saw HOTE cause it was on netflix. Same with DOT36C if I recall correctly.

2 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

I really need to see more LKL movies. I've only seen his most popular ones. Of those you mentioned I've only seen Heroes of the East. I've just gotten so cheap the last few years that I don't buy anything anymore. And that's pretty much the only way to see these movies as far as I know. I only saw HOTE cause it was on netflix. Same with DOT36C if I recall correctly.

Shaolin mantis is likely my fav lkl flick although marginals in his finest are very tight. Dunno how popular Martial Club is among genre fans but I rate it personally extremely high if ever need to choose top10 Shaw list...On good/bad day I could choose it above Mantis..Comedy this time works well and wang lung wei has brilliant role as tough but righteous (sort of) villain...

I just now finished a rewatch and I had even more fun with this  movie then I did the first time. I'm wondering though if Jet Li based his performance off of Hsiao Ho's version or if that is generally how the character has always been portrayed?

I just now finished a rewatch and I had even more fun with this  movie then I did the first time. I'm wondering though if Jet Li based his performance off of Hsiao Ho's version or if that is generally how the character has always been portrayed?

Interesting...Fong Sai Yuk played by Fu Sheng too was also bit cheeky dude like Jet Li you mentioned...

Hsiao Ho's annoying roles have grown on me over the years, he can be extremely childish and goofy and he flows with it good, and when it comes to the KF and acrobatics he delivered hard. Dot36C he does go a little to far over the top but that seemed to be the point, I'll have to give this a rewatch soon. Imo My Young Auntie was his best comedic performance, he had some good sexual tension scenes with Kara.

Archived