Police Story: Which one is your favorite?

Guest Jin256

Police Story: Which one is your favorite?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Police Story: Which one is your favorite?

• Police Story (1985)
    • Police Story 2 (1988)
    • Police Story 3 - Supercop (1992)
    • Police Story 4 aka First Strike (1996)
    • New Police Story (2004)

Guest Markgway
Michelle attempted a comedic role once in one of Sammo's few stinkers and it damn near ruined the career of both of them. You've heard of the saying, "you'll never act in this town again!" Well, in Sammo's case it was almost "You'll never act in this country again!" Luckily, they were both forgiven and moved on to bigger and better things....

Which film is that?

However, Sandra Ng has been impressing me more each year - maybe Jackie should consider working with her on Drunken Master III? Why not? :biggrin:

As long as he doesn't cast her as his mother.

Seriously Ng is a great talent and can do both comedy and drama.

Yeah markgway you could have met a Venom too....only kidding you would have seen a Venom and some guy behind a counter freaking out....

I was only a teenager back then. You would thought: He's too young to be a true fan, propably a shoplifter and had Kuo Chui boot me out. ;)

The Michelle/Sammo project that went down like the Titanic was the 1984 stinker, Owl vs. Dumbo. Not a film either of them probably want to remember....

Laura

Guest Markgway

Owl vs Bumbo was a massive hit in Hong Kong. Made over HK$21m and attained the 6th biggest box office of 1984. And from what I remember the film was pleasent enough.

Owl vs Bumbo was a massive hit in Hong Kong. Made over HK$21m and attained the 6th biggest box office of 1984. And from what I remember the film was pleasent enough.

Hardly sounds like a "verge of career suicide" movie :ooh:

I like all the Police Stories in different ways (yes even First Strike). IMO New Police Story deserves more love than it gets...more dramatic, even if the fights are toned down vs the early movies.

It's going back a while for me but the two got together on a comedy that didn't pan out. This was the only one that came to mind - but I can't be certain. I hear mixed reviews on this despite the success I hear it had. The only thing I'm certain on is that Sammo made a real stink bomb early in his career and Michelle was unfortunately in on it. Nevertheless, they got beyond it and haven't done anything that bad since. I really don't get why Yeoh can't do comedy, I think if it were the right project, she could pull it off. She's clearly a very capable actress, but I think she hasn't had good luck. Maybe because of her looks - I rarely see good looking people in comedic situations where someone like Sanda Ng pulls it off easily.

Laura

Guest Markgway
Just received my Police Story 3 from Zoke today. Definitely my favourite of them.

Been looking for that one myself. It's a port of the IVL, no?

But I think there's several different editions out which makes getting the right one a bit of a minefield.

Where did you order yours?

Guest Markgway
It's going back a while for me but the two got together on a comedy that didn't pan out. This was the only one that came to mind - but I can't be certain. I hear mixed reviews on this despite the success I hear it had. The only thing I'm certain on is that Sammo made a real stink bomb early in his career and Michelle was unfortunately in on it. Nevertheless, they got beyond it and haven't done anything that bad since.

Sammo and Michelle collaborated on just four films.

The Owl vs Bumbo, Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars, and Yes, Madam were all hit comedies.

Ah Kam, which they did together in 1996, was a drama. Not a hit, but garnered some minor critical acclaim.

Sammo and Michelle collaborated on just four films.

The Owl vs Bumbo, Twinkle, Twinkle, Lucky Stars, and Yes, Madam were all hit comedies.

Ah Kam, which they did together in 1996, was a drama. Not a hit, but garnered some minor critical acclaim.

Ah Kam also broke her back when Sammo pushed her off the bridge before she was ready. The film was very well done regardless of the moderate success, and I really like the director Ann Hui who also directed Anita Mui in two films: July Rhapsody and Eighteen Springs.

Laura

Reel Power Stunts
Ah Kam also broke her back when Sammo pushed her off the bridge before she was ready.

Laura

That's not what happened. Regardless of what happens in the film, Michelle's injury was caused simply by her landing poorly on the box rig. landing on your front when doing high falls has a much higher risk of spinal injury than landing on your back.

• Like 1

That's not what happened. Regardless of what happens in the film, Michelle's injury was caused simply by her landing poorly on the box rig. landing on your front when doing high falls has a much higher risk of spinal injury than landing on your back.

I'm surprised actually because I had read about the incident somewhere where director Ann Hui commented about the film. Perhaps the journalist misunderstood Ms. Hui, but I had heard more than once that she was pushed before she was ready - and I think the journalist had interview Yeoh who confirmed what Ann Hui stated previously. I could be wrong as journalists don't always get their facts straight.

Laura

masterofoneinchpunch
I'm surprised actually because I had read about the incident somewhere where director Ann Hui commented about the film. Perhaps the journalist misunderstood Ms. Hui, but I had heard more than once that she was pushed before she was ready - and I think the journalist had interview Yeoh who confirmed what Ann Hui stated previously. I could be wrong as journalists don't always get their facts straight.

Laura

"The boxes weren't packed together tightly enough and instead of absorbing the force of her landing, they shifted apart." Jude Poyer (Aiyah That Had to hurt ... in Hollywood East).

I've read several different accounts of it, but this one seems to be the best description of what went wrong.

One Armed Boxer
Michelle attempted a comedic role once in one of Sammo's few stinkers and it damn near ruined the career of both of them. You've heard of the saying, "you'll never act in this town again!" Well, in Sammo's case it was almost "You'll never act in this country again!" Luckily, they were both forgiven and moved on to bigger and better things....

The Michelle/Sammo project that went down like the Titanic was the 1984 stinker, Owl vs. Dumbo.

I actually thought that 'Owl vs. Dumbo' was Michelle Yeoh's screen debut....did she have any movie roles before that?

it was a big shock when I met her because she just walked in unexpectted into the Eastern Heroes shop where I worked at the time....looking FAR lovelier than ANY film I've seen her in.....she was a bit surprised because the first thing I said to her was "F**KING HELL" and stood there gawping at her.....

...& the second thing was, "That movie you where in, Police Story 3, was shit!"? popsjnr you're the forums very own lady's man!

wongfeihung62
I visited the Eastern Heroes shop.

I don't remember seeing Michelle Yeoh.

I feel cheated.

I feel the same Mark. No offence to Toby, but I prefer her. :bigsmile:

What I got from this thread was some people are way too hard on First Strike. It's not a bad film at all and a masterpiece compared to his soft drinks and v8 commercials.

Cognoscente
On 5/1/2008 at 10:54 PM, The Running Man said:

The HK version of Police Story 2 is the overall best film in the trilogy.

Three is average and the most disappointing.

"Supercop" says it all, really. The movie felt like it shouldn't have been a sequel, likewise with First Strike. It's sort of like how A Good Day to Die Hard should have been a standalone movie. Supercop felt less like a cop movie than an Interpol movie. Maybe they should have called it Interpolice.

It doesn't feel right for it to be a PS sequel without the man who played the police boss in the first two movies (Lam Kwok-Hung). Maggie Cheung and Bill Tung were in it so briefly that Jackie might as well have done without them like he did with Biao and Sammo for Project A II. The story wasn't as interesting as the other two movies. It just seemed like an excuse for there to be a p!ssing contest between Jackie and Michelle.

The action is good but the martial arts segments don't live up to the first two movies. I was disappointed that we never got to see Jackie fight Yuen Wah. I was never a fan of Stanley Tong. I'm surprised that Jackie didn't choose Fung Hak-On to be the director and action director. Considering that Yukari Oshima was later cast in Project S, maybe Jackie should have hired the one man who had been her regular collaborator. Godfather's Daughter Mafia Blues (1991) should have been Fung's calling card for Supercop.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch
16 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Just posted a review for Police Story III: Supercop: https://abeautifulfilm.blogspot.com/2022/08/police-story-iii-supercop-1992.html

Nice.  Reminds me that I still need to see Stone Age Warriors.  You bring up and interesting point: how much was this Tong's and how much was it Chan's.  Great stunts here and good fight scenes (though not quite with the first two).

fix: "Bloodsportand Hard Boiled" hee hee

I saw Rumble in the Bronx in the theater.  Though I had seen a couple of Jackie Chans on VHS before.  But I was still in early Chan mode.

• Like 1

Just now, masterofoneinchpunch said:

ou bring up and interesting point: how much was this Tong's and how much was it Chan's.

According Gentry, Supercop was mostly Tong's film; Rumble in the Bronx was mainly Chan's; First Strike was a nice split between their sensibilities.

• Like 2

I think I like Police Story (1985) the most, it's just so iconic for me. Police Story Part II and Police Story III - Super Cop are kind of neck and neck for my second favourite. While I think I prefer the action in New Police Story to First Strike, the acting in New Police Story is so over the top and melodramatic at times I find it hard to watch. So I think I actually prefer First Strike overall to New Police Story. I haven't gotten around to Police Story 2013 yet. Some people also include Crime Story and Project S in the Police Story series, because Crime Story was released as New Police Story in some regions and Project S is a sort of spin-off of Police Story III - Super Cop and even known as Supercop 2 in some parts of the world. I think I'd put Crime Story above First Strike and Project S about level with First Strike.

I feel like I need to do rewatches, but still, I think a personal ranked order of the Police Story series for me would look something like:

1. Police Story (1985)
  2. Police Story Part II or Police Story III - Super Cop
  3. Crime Story
  4. Project S or First Strike
  5. New Police Story

Yet to see Police Story 2013.

• Like 1

Just throwing in my two pence.. the first Police Story is the best in my opinion.. but not the short HK cut.. rather the extended Japanese version which is the definitive version of Police Story in my view. The extra scenes make it a much better and complete movie. 

I just hope someone can get the rights for it and release a proper 4K restoration of it one day without the giant burnt in Japanese subs. Until that day at least we have the next best thing .. the version by the one who’s name we are not allowed to mention out aloud **cough.. Jacob.. **cough.. HKR** 😄

• Like 1

Police story for me will always be the best because I couldn’t believe the finale,just incredible.Love Police Story 2 especially the HK cut great fight scenes,Police Story 3 is a great film but it could have done with more hands and feet action and when it comes to first strike apart from the one fight scene,not a fan.

• Like 1