Police Story: Which one is your favorite?

Guest Jin256

Police Story: Which one is your favorite?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Police Story: Which one is your favorite?

• Police Story (1985)
    • Police Story 2 (1988)
    • Police Story 3 - Supercop (1992)
    • Police Story 4 aka First Strike (1996)
    • New Police Story (2004)

First one.

I also think the first one was the first fully HK Film Production I saw.

Totally the first Police Story. Not only does it have Brigitte Lin and Maggie Cheung, 5 tons of broken glass and sliding down the fly '80s mall 'light sculpture,' it also has Jackie skidding into the parallel parking space which is my favorite throw away car stunt ever.

Although part 1 is incredible, I have to go with part 3 as an overall movie. The presence of Michelle Yeoh and Yuen Wah push it slightly ahead.

Benny Lai sure was great as the little sawed-off superkicker mute in part 2, wonder whatever happened to him? Don't remember seeing him in anything much since....

his IMDB says Known For

Police Story 2 (1988)

Jackie Chan's Project A (1983)

China Strike Force (2000)

Jackie Chan's Project A2 (1987)

Police Story handsdown because it was my first Jackie Chan flim that i saw before seeing Rumble in the Bronx. Police Story 3 would be my second favorite since buying the uncut longer HK verison of flim last year which impressed me alot.

TheGrimReaper

I haven't seen them for a long time, however I would put the original as the best of the series - it is a better structured movie than the others, do not dwell too much in drama (like the second) and it shows a reamarkable display of stunts and fights.

Then I would say that the second place goes to the third part, due to a production values and Michelle Yeoh, after that is the second part (one playground fight does not make a movie), followed by the fourth part (which was completely unnecessary).

A special mention to New Police Story (although it is not a part of the series, but a reboot of some sort) for getting a new look into each separate section of the movie - fighting, story and production like. well, my opinion is strictly personal, so if anyone has a different point of view - please do share it - a good discussion is worth it :smile:

Be well :bigsmile:

The Grim Reaper

I haven't seen them for a long time, however I would put the original as the best of the series - it is a better structured movie than the others, do not dwell too much in drama (like the second) and it shows a reamarkable display of stunts and fights.

Then I would say that the second place goes to the third part, due to a production values and Michelle Yeoh, after that is the second part (one playground fight does not make a movie), followed by the fourth part (which was completely unnecessary).

A special mention to New Police Story (although it is not a part of the series, but a reboot of some sort) for getting a new look into each separate section of the movie - fighting, story and production like. well, my opinion is strictly personal, so if anyone has a different point of view - please do share it - a good discussion is worth it :smile:

Be well :bigsmile:

The Grim Reaper

I happen to consider New Police Story as one of my favorites as well. The action, storyline, and the drama got me into becoming a fan of the flim.

part 1 is overall the best, you can't beat either that opening or ending action scene in the entire series. the comedy works for the most part too. Part 3 is my second favorite. part 2 is my least out of the original trilogy, but it's still good. the playground fight, and the finale were both awesome. I also liked First Strike a lot.

The first one is my favorte and it is also one of favorite Jackie Chan movies as well. I also like New Police Story if that counts.

Part 1 for the stunts

Part 2 for the fights

Part 3 for being an all-around well-made film.

sigh...I think I re-visit part 3 a little more, but the first movie has to be the best. Too many jaw dropping hits and falls in that one. As a movie with structure, pacing, and characters I think it's the worst though! An amazing film nonetheless.

Has to be part 1....

Jackie himself said in a magazine interview it's HIS favourite, it was the first Chan modern day film I ever watched, saw the Palace Video release in 1986, and it blew me away. Still does when I re-watch it...it might be THE most important HK movie ever...dont remember any HK action movie getting any face from Western critics before it.

Enjoyed part 2 aswell...that was the first Chan bootleg video I bought in Febuary 1990 along with Miracles (yawn). I remember before I bought it seeing clips of Police 2 on Jonathon Ross's Incredibly Strange Film Show, especially that crisp roundhouse kick to the head during the playground fight...excellent movie.

As for 3 and 4.....

...I told Jackie when I got the chance to meet him in 1996, that part 4 was terrible and his worst movie yet...(didnt think he could sink to the level of Medallion or Tuxedo or Myth or Rob B Hood....AAAHHH).....fighting sharks are you taking the piss!!!

He didnt hold a grudge coz we did a spot of Jui Kuen together, and Jackie also let me put my finger INSIDE his head, and also did that vibration thing....uugghh!! A Nice Guy indeed...

... I also let Michelle Yeoh know, when I met her in 1997 that part 3 was crap (definitely a comedown from Royal and Magnificent Warriors) She took it well coz I told her I enjoyed Project S a LOT, lovely lady...

New Police Story is, alongside Shinjuku Incident, probably my fave Chan flik of the last decade, ALL my fave Chan movies are in the 4th year of a decade...Wheels on Meals (my no1 Chan movie-1984) Drunken 2 (1994) and then New Police Story (2004)...what will 2014 bring for Chan's 60th??....

Guest Markgway

I didn't mind First Strike at all because at the time it was something different for Jackie (a 007-style vehicle shot in Australia and Russia) and had some great stunts. There's nothing he's done since Who Am I? that I would recommend. New Police Story was a huge disappointment for me and far below Supercop.

...I told Jackie when I got the chance to meet him in 1996, that part 4 was terrible and his worst movie yet...(didnt think he could sink to the level of Medallion or Tuxedo or Myth or Rob B Hood....AAAHHH).....fighting sharks are you taking the piss!!!

I'm curious, what was his immediate reaction to you saying this to him? Did he agree? Or did he defend the movie as being, as Markgway said, something different? I'd like to know how he defended the movie if he did at all.

First Strike DOES have a couple good stunts, but I agree about ending it with sharks...could have been better.

I liked 3 as a movie, but obviously the fights are seldom so I can understand what you are saying. I did like Project S as well.

New Police Story surprised me. It was very good! I'm amazed at how divided people are here, after making so much underwhelming stuff NPS was a true return to form.

Oh and popsjnr, what did Jackie do in 1974 that impressed you :tongue:

if you see Rarescopes DVD release of Cub Tiger from Canton, on the extras is something called An Audience with Jackie. During an onstage QnA, you will see Chan asking SOMEONE if they have SEEN First Strike, that someone is ME. He asks me HOW I'd seen it, so I lied and said it was in HK instead of off a bootleg, he seemed satisfied.

Later after the QnA, there were drinks served in London's Planet Hollywood, and because WE, the OLD Eastern Heroes team I USED to work for, were the ONLY ones there who really knew about him (it was a press launch for Rumble in the Bronx), Chan ended up spending MOST of the evening talking with us, he also knew my ex-boss Toby Russell very well and HADN'T seen him for awhile....

Jackie asked what my thoughts were on First Strike, I told him "It was terrible etc", Jackie was a bit surprised, he shrugged and just said the movie had "made a lot of money". But he didnt take my criticism personally as the Drunken fist, and putting my fingers INSIDE his head thing happened afterwards...

As for 1974 he was caught by Flash Legs, and wickedky kicked around a room, in the classic The Himalayan, which included Chan being sidekicked halfway across a room....lovely stuff

if you see Rarescopes DVD release of Cub Tiger from Canton, on the extras is something called An Audience with Jackie. During an onstage QnA, you will see Chan asking SOMEONE if they have SEEN First Strike, that someone is ME. He asks me HOW I'd seen it, so I lied and said it was in HK instead of off a bootleg, he seemed satisfied.

Awesome, I have seen that extra before. I'll have to see it again now that I know you are in it somewhere.

I ask Jackie a few questions about where Sammo is, wether he is going to make Fireman Story with Tsui Siu Ming, he asks me if I have seen First Strike and I lie and say I saw it in HK instead of on bootleg

...right at the end of the extra you should see a Gwai Lo doing Drunken style with Chan....thats me too!!

Has to be part 1....

Jackie himself said in a magazine interview it's HIS favourite, it was the first Chan modern day film I ever watched, saw the Palace Video release in 1986, and it blew me away. Still does when I re-watch it...it might be THE most important HK movie ever...dont remember any HK action movie getting any face from Western critics before it.

Enjoyed part 2 aswell...that was the first Chan bootleg video I bought in Febuary 1990 along with Miracles (yawn). I remember before I bought it seeing clips of Police 2 on Jonathon Ross's Incredibly Strange Film Show, especially that crisp roundhouse kick to the head during the playground fight...excellent movie.

As for 3 and 4.....

He didnt hold a grudge coz we did a spot of Jui Kuen together, and Jackie also let me put my finger INSIDE his head, and also did that vibration thing....uugghh!! A Nice Guy indeed...

... I also let Michelle Yeoh know, when I met her in 1997 that part 3 was crap (definitely a comedown from Royal and Magnificent Warriors) She took it well coz I told her I enjoyed Project S a LOT, lovely lady...

New Police Story is, alongside Shinjuku Incident, probably my fave Chan flik of the last decade, ALL my fave Chan movies are in the 4th year of a decade...Wheels on Meals (my no1 Chan movie-1984) Drunken 2 (1994) and then New Police Story (2004)...what will 2014 bring for Chan's 60th??....

You're brave; even if I had a chance to meet and speak with them, I don't think I'd share my disappointments. I'd probably rephrase it "I wish I'd see you making more films like Project S, which I really loved and thought you did fantastic...." Usually when you make a comment like that, they pick up on it quickly that you preferred their past films because you don't like what they're currently making. Maybe I'm just star struck....:)

Laura

No it wasnt being brave at all.....more acute dissapointment, First Strike had only come out in March of that year (1996) and I was still reeling with HOW bad it was.....never thought he would make something as terrible as Medallion a few years later!!!

I think Jackie wasn't bothered about it because we had been chatting about how great his earlier films were, so he knew I wasnt some new fan but a longtime follower....he started telling me about HIS plans for HIS Drunken Master 3-which I hope he makes oneday....maybe for his 60th in 2014!!!

As for Michelle.....

I admit I softened my criticism by telling her she was, by far, the best thing in Police 3, but it was a big shock when I met her because she just walked in unexpectted into the Eastern Heroes shop where I worked at the time....looking FAR lovelier than ANY film I've seen her in.....she was a bit surprised because the first thing I said to her was "F**KING HELL" and stood there gawping at her.....

No it wasnt being brave at all.....more acute dissapointment, First Strike had only come out in March of that year (1996) and I was still reeling with HOW bad it was.....never thought he would make something as terrible as Medallion a few years later!!!

I think Jackie wasn't bothered about it because we had been chatting about how great his earlier films were, so he knew I wasnt some new fan but a longtime follower....he started telling me about HIS plans for HIS Drunken Master 3-which I hope he makes oneday....maybe for his 60th in 2014!!!

As for Michelle.....

I admit I softened my criticism by telling her she was, by far, the best thing in Police 3, but it was a big shock when I met her because she just walked in unexpectted into the Eastern Heroes shop where I worked at the time....looking FAR lovelier than ANY film I've seen her in.....she was a bit surprised because the first thing I said to her was "F**KING HELL" and stood there gawping at her.....

I must be in the minority here because I actually loved Jackie in First Strike (and Who am I? and Rumble in the Bronx and....), and I'm surprised that anyone would think it was a bad film. A truly bad film would be a toss up between the Medallion and Tuxedo, which were absolutely unwatchable. He's been making a few stinkers lately so I'd welcome a sequel to Druken Master but I don't think it's possible to beat the success of part II. As for Michelle who's still as lovely as ever, I'd like her to go back to her roots and put out another kick ass film. I know she can do it......

Laura

Good I am glad you like First Strike...and Rumble etc...I dont like either...everyone is entitled to their own opinion...it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing....eh!???!

Having met Michelle, straight of the set of Tomorrow Never Dies...I find it strange that she is always made to look SO STERN on film....when she is so breathtakingly beautiful in real life.....

She was filming the "big fight" in the 007 movie at the 007 stage when she visited us...Also met, nearly 10 times, the fight choreographer for that 007 movie fight....as a lifelong Shaw Brothers freak, one of my heroes......Kwok Choy....

Yeah markgway you could have met a Venom too....only kidding you would have seen a Venom and some guy behind a counter freaking out....

Good I am glad you like First Strike...and Rumble etc...I dont like either...everyone is entitled to their own opinion...it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing....eh!???!

Having met Michelle, straight of the set of Tomorrow Never Dies...I find it strange that she is always made to look SO STERN on film....when she is so breathtakingly beautiful in real life.....

She was filming the "big fight" in the 007 movie at the 007 stage when she visited us...Also met, nearly 10 times, the fight choreographer for that 007 movie fight....as a lifelong Shaw Brothers freak, one of my heroes......Kwok Choy....

Yeah markgway you could have met a Venom too....only kidding you would have seen a Venom and some guy behind a counter freaking out....

Michelle attempted a comedic role once in one of Sammo's few stinkers and it damn near ruined the career of both of them. You've heard of the saying, "you'll never act in this town again!" Well, in Sammo's case it was almost "You'll never act in this country again!" Luckily, they were both forgiven and moved on to bigger and better things....

Some actors just can't pull off light hearted roles and Michelle happens to be one of them. Brigitte Lin is another that struggled and I could only think of a handful of comedic roles, Police Story being the only real memorable film. The rest of her career had her giving off bored or hard expressions: Chungking Express, Swordman I & II, East is Red, Bride with White Hair I & II, etc.

There are only two actresses that I can think of off the top of my head that were successful for both their comedic and dramatic work: Carina Lau and Anita Mui - and they are sorely lacking in due appreciation for their talent. However, Sandra Ng has been impressing me more each year - maybe Jackie should consider working with her on Drunken Master III? Why not? :biggrin:

Laura