Painted Skin remake

Guest Beat TG

Well if you like fantasy and Kung Fu then it will most likely be a good movie. Plus if Donnie Yen is in it than it has to be good,he's on a role right now.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yen for laughs

By MICHAEL CHEANG

Action star Donnie Yen delivers some comedic chops in his latest movie.

YOU wouldn’t want to mess with Donnie Yen. The action star is every bit as intimidating in real life as the kung fu-fighting, butt-kicking characters he plays on screen, with arms the size of tree trunks and an unwavering gaze that could cut through you.

However, much to our surprise, beneath that tough-guy exterior is a charming, self-assured man who is not afraid to crack jokes and poke fun at himself at the same time.

It’s a side of Yen that most people would not have seen before. But with the release of his new movie Painted Skin, fans of the 45-year-old star will get to see more of this “new” side.

Directed by Gordon Chan (The Medallion) and based on one of the spookiest stories in Strange Tales of Liaozhai by Pu Songling (a renowned Qing Dynasty writer), Painted Skin is the first movie with ghostly elements to be approved by China’s State Administration of Radio, Film & Television (SARFT) for production.

The film also stars award-winning actress Zhou Xun (Perhaps Love), Vicki Zhao, Chen Kun and Singaporean actor Qi Yu Wu.

By Yen’s own account, Painted Skin is the easiest movie that he has ever made. Indeed, his role in the film is very different from his hard-boiled roles that we are so used to seeing in movies such as SPL, Iron Monkey and Flash Point, just to name a few.

Sure, he still gets to kick some butt in Painted Skin but, this time around, Yen also gets to dabble in some comedy and have a little fun with his role.

“This really isn’t one of my usual action movies, so those who are hoping to see a Donnie Yen action movie might be disappointed. You want more fighting and more action? You’ll have to wait for my next movie!” said the action star during an exclusive interview last week when he was in Singapore for a promotion tour.

According toYen , he has never had the chance to show off his comedic chops because most of the roles he gets are cool characters like warriors, cops or heroes.

“I’ve never had a chance to really show that I can be funny as well. No director in Hong Kong has ever dared to give me a role like this, one that allows the audience the chance to see another side of Donnie Yen €“ the playful and happy side of me,” he said. “This time around, the director, whom I’ve known for a long time now, decided that we should try and show audiences my playful side.”

While he admits that a character like General Pang is a real breath of fresh air (mostly because he didn’t have to fight so much), and having notched up some rather odd (for him, that is) roles through his 25 years of filmmaking (including that of a pianist in 2004’s Love on the Rocks), he ruled out a drastic change in the direction of his career.

“Frankly speaking, this (Painted Skin) was more of an experiment for me. I wanted to test whether the audience could accept me in a role like that. I’ve already established myself as a martial arts actor after all these years, so I will still continue to do those kinds of movies.”

Having come this far in his career, Yen, who is married to Miss Chinese Toronto 2000 Cissy Wang (they have a daughter named Jasmine), is not content to rest on his laurels.

“These days, I prefer doing films that are more challenging and fresh, and are not just repeated roles I’ve done before. I take each role as a new challenge, and give my best each time,” said Yen, who was born in Canton, and moved to Boston, the United States, when he was 11. He added that he turned down Hollywood films such as The Mummy 3 and Forbidden Kingdom, both of which featured fellow Asian kung fu action stars Jet Li (The Mummy 3 and Forbidden Kingdom) and Jackie Chan (Forbidden Kingdom).

“Why did Jackie and Jet go for it instead? Everyone has their own reasons for doing something. They probably got paid a lot more than I did!” he said with a laugh.

“But I was not interested to do them because I didn’t want to make films that stereotyped Asians.

“As an actor, I must be able to respect my character first, before talking about how much money I’ll get. Of course, if you gave me a lot of money to do something, then I might consider it but I will always try to keep to my principles, and choose characters that mean a lot to me. I don’t think it’s worth doing a role that means nothing to me or one that does not have a positive message on society in general.”

Painted Skin opens in Malaysian cinemas today.

http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2008/9/26/movies/2102567&sec=movies

Archived