whats up with vengeance video

Guest sammohung0000

Guest sammohung0000

have anybody seen a decent vengence video release.

they are very funny but... haha

did just check out descendants of wing chun ( suppose to have the same plot as warriors two) and abbot white and i am just about to give up on this distribution company hahaha

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest greenfan

Preparing and releasing kung fu flicks on DVD isnt as easy as some people (who have never done it) try to make out. Toby has taken the approach with Vengeance of keep it as cost effective as possible by taking the elements and putting them 'as is' on a DVD. Which means he can get a lot of films out there for the fans to see at a very low price.

Guest Killer Meteor

Vengeance quality mostly depends on what materials they get - though quality control could be better, see Double Double Crosser, which is full of glitches

Their 2.35:1 releases include

Triumph By Two Kung Fu Arts

Descendants Of Wing Chun

Deadly Strike [Distorted]

South Shaolin Vs. North Shaolin [Dreadful film!]

Shaolin Vs. Tai Chi

AFAIK, all Vengeance releases are legit, licenced from the copyright holders like Jimmy Shaw's Alpha films.

Guest Sleeping Monk

Hi there everybody.I'm from Australia & a lot of these titles pop up in 2nd hand records stores.There usually cheap & have hard to find titles which i'm after.Their quality is not always the best but hey at least they're putting out titles that no one else is.Big up to Toby Russell.Do they have website?Does Soulblade or Crash Cinema have a webite?

Guest Markgway

Vengeance releases are legit but they just don't look it.

The source material is usually pretty rank (dubbed, censored, pan and scan).

The bad releases far outwiegh the good, which is a shame.

Rarescope has a better track record.

Guest thundered mantis

I´m quite happy with VV. They carry a lot of movies that were hard to get, or previously unreleased on DVD. My only beef is that they dropt the ball on some releases where they used inferior sources or their versions were worse than previous known ones, like in:

Two Wondrous Tigers: old VHS release was wider than their release

The Challenger: same as above (german VHS)

Gold Hunters: same as above

Tiger Over Wall: old DVD release was wider, also

Shaolin vs Wu Tang (same)

Dynamite Trio (same)

Fearless Dragon: there´s a 2.35 vers. out there, they didn´t use it.

BUT a lot of their stuff is "the best available", with some curious extras threw in, and cheap. Plus the man behind the releases is both a fan and an expert on the genre, so I bet there are fair reasons for every release, not like Joy Sales/Celestial decisions, with no sense anyone can figure, or quite a lack of interest in the fandom desires

Guest Markgway
Two Wondrous Tigers: old VHS release was wider than their release

The VHS was censored though... I think the DVD might be uncut?

Tiger Over Wall: old DVD release was wider, also

As above.

Shaolin vs Wu Tang (same)

That was an awful release.

Guest thundered mantis

Interesting indeed. Markgway, I own both the old VPD tape and the spanish DVD of Two Wondrous Tigers, both same aspect ratio and similar video quality, though the DVD colours are a bit more washed. Do you know what are the exact cuts on the VHS version? I´d like to compare with the spanish DVD (and I´m too lazy to watch the two straight ;) )

About Tiger Over Wall, the groundzero DVD is letterbox (though slightly) Is that cut too?

Guest Markgway

TIGER OVER WALL - Two earclaps and a neck twist/break (7 secs)

TWO WONDROUS TIGERS - *Ball and chain from final fight (38 secs)

*unconfirmed by the BBFC

Guest thundered mantis

Thanks Markgway. I´ll search for that in the spanish dvd of TWT, will post here afterwards.

Damn I must be totally beyond help, I now have the urge to see those cut snippets even though they are clearly unimportant, lol

Guest thundered mantis

Well, I finally managed to compare UK´s VPD VHS release with Spanish DVD, and the Spanish DVD contains the ball and chain scene which is not present on the VHS!

It´s a bit more than 30 secs long. I dunno if the VV DVD contains that scene. Why did they cut that is beyond me :confused:

I was wrong about the colours of the spanish dvd though. They aren´t washed out, on the contrary, they have been badly boosted resulting considerably worse image than the old VHS. It´s like the DVD has lower res. Anyway, it´s uncut.

Thank you markgway for leading me

Guest Markgway
Why did they cut that is beyond me :confused:

The BBFC were funny about weapons in the 80s. If the Vengeance disc was submitted uncut then it would've been passed uncut (and I think it was). But you'll need confirmation from someone who's seen it.

Archived