The Kid With A Tattoo

Guest peringaten

Guest peringaten

Just got through with this one earlier this evening... No trailers for the flick at all on the disc btw...

Well, this ain't no 'classic', but it is an excellent film; it ain't gonna end up on my top favourites list either, but I already know I love it... you follow?

Concerning Sun Chung, in so far as this blatantly shines his signature throughout, one way to describe it I think is; Kid is to My Rebellious Son as Rendezvous With Death is to Avenging Eagle. Not a simile that works entirely perhaps, but on a cursory superficial level, gives perhaps a reasonable gist as towards the tone of Kid.

In so far as certain aspects pair these two groupings together in some manner... However whilst pairing Rendezvous with Avenging, I'm in no doubt as to which I consider the superior film (AE); comparing Kid to Rebellious Son, I couldn't call which I think better at this stage, nor would I particularly want to...

Like MRS, Kid has a similar comedic tone subbing the Fu Sheng role for Wong Yue... he kind of nicely fits a mould set by Fu Sheng I guess, (I could see FS in his role here as I could his role in RWD) here paired with Ku Feng in fine form as his father (like MRS)... am I getting confusing yet?

Seems I'm getting into a strange habit of watching SC's flicks and seeing comparisons and delving out his style... could probably go on, but it's getting too late for solid articulation and I'm starting to confuse myself...

Basically, let's ramble... a good film, a great way to spend 97 televisual filmic minutes - it made me laugh - in the manner a kung fu comedy should - not overtly silly, slightly witty and endearingly twisted - for instance the comical look on Wong Yue's face in the "coming out of the kiln" scene; kind of a bit dark if you ask me, played tongue in cheek... Good stuff. The characters weren't classic but solid enough for light comedy here and there without being too genre parodied or buffoonish...

Yuen Wah was excellent - man he moves good... wish he had such a prominent role in more flicks...

And the choreo was sublime! Man, this is the sort of Tang Chia stuff I'm coming to love - not too crazed as in his own flicks, not lacklustre as in some of his Chor Yuan efforts... just spot on with the styles, movements and blows - all mixed in with the mastery of Sun Chung's incredible direction and visual eye.

If anything, this film reinforces SC and TC as masterful at pacing and constructing a fight scene; good weapons use, great physical performances coaxed, full dramatic use of the sets and fantastic camerawork - this flick reinforces SC's soulful technical how-to mastery - particularly with slow-motion... They really work and pace a few scenes so fluidly with the slo-mo, finely set cinematography, wonderful SC signature camera work and straight speed and editing it just flows so naturally you can almost take it for granted it's so sublime; makes great as straight filmmaking prowess, just entirely serving the movement as the movement serves the camera work - just ebbs and flows like water filling a mould. I think these two were born for each other.

Nice plot - kept it intriguing and interesting, tenuously similar to the intrigue generated as to the box contents in Rendezvous in so far as Kid concerns the curiosity over relationships. Light-hearted, but slightly dark, satisfying, and kept the interest and curiosity peeked, with the, as mentioned, slightly unexceptional, but more than solid characters... I liked the fact that they were mostly just out for themselves.

There are many other flicks more worthy, but this is just sheer entertaining class from some masterful coasting kung-film making motherf'ckers going through the motions, not at their best, but doing what they do best.

Class.

Funny enough at 1h 25 I'm sure there are a couple of shots where I'm sure you can see the sky join with the soundstage roof... Bar the of course intentional Passing Flickers, I don't think I've ever noticed that in a Shaw flick before! Not that it matters here...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

:rollin I just read the back of the case on this one - They never fail to surprise with these write-ups...

"Starring kung fu comedienne Wang Yu..."

:lol

Guest TheManInWhite

I was just reading the synposis for this film. Read this:

"One of Shaw Brothers' most productive directors, Sun Chung's action films had strong tension, snappy editing and slow motion which influenced up and coming martial arts director John Woo. Starring kung-fu comedienne Wang Yu, a ballistic kid on a mission to clear his father's name, The Kid With A Tattoo features plentiful ripsnorting martial arts by Jackie Chan's long time kung-fu classmates Yuen Hua and Yuan Pin, and Shaw Brothers' best martial arts fighting villain Wang Lung-wei."

Are you kidding me?? :lol

instant noodles

It`s quite decent. There is not that much comedy actually and most of it come from quarter-retard character Wong Yu plays.No over the top slapstick or grinning festival here.

Spearman is great and Wang Lung Wei is his usually cool himself. Even if one is not so much into comedy (I am not) but still has this unseen should maybe consider before if goes out of print.

Archived