??? re: the state of Shaw prints foreign dist rcvd for TV...

Guest sevenhooks

Guest sevenhooks

Years ago, I came into my possession an actual World Northal screener VHS for one of their later titles (one that never aired on tv to my knowledge).

It came in a black, hard shell case with an inset card slipped into the clear plastic on the outside of the case.

The inset card read the title of the film, it's running time, the date the screener was apparently made as well as the W.N. company logo and contact/address info.

The film itself was uncut from what I could tell.

But there's something I've always wondered about all these years.

When Shaw sent a foreign distributor like World Northal it's films, how did they send them? In what format?

I know, for instance, that WN was also screening many of these films theatrically throughout the country as well.

So would they receive everything from Shaw in 35mm cannisters?

What about when it came time to make pan and scan versions of these films for US television?

I imagine W.N. did that?

I ask in particular since that screener VHS I had previously mentioned was NOT widescreen.

It had been reshot, pan and scan style.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

considering how other distributors work, World Northal is sent a print by SB and they made extra prints(not many) for theater showings, and a full screen version for television. Then the television one was duped and sent to TV stations (with some editing, unless they gave their ). The original film print is usually sent back.

Archived