Corey Yuen to direct remake of "Vengeance!"

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I havent kept up much on these things lately, anybody else hear about this planned remake? I read a short article about it on KFCCinema. Sounds very interesting. Also in 2007 are planned reamakes of "5 Deadly Venoms" and "Flying Guillotine".

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest monk sante

C'mon whats up with all these remakes.........what do the originals suck? Please leave Vengence alone! Lets come up with some new ideas please!!!!:(

... reviving an old thread.:P What ever became of the Vengeance remake? I've already checked out Warlords, the remake of Chang Cheh's Blood Brothers, starring Jet Li, and it was not bad at all for a redux. The story flowed quite well as I was expecting more fights, overall, I was not disappointed.

When can we expect Vengeance?

Righteous Master

I don't know about Vengeance, but from what I read about The Five Deadly Venoms remake does not impress me at all.

From what I heard as well about the 5 Deadly Venoms remake doesn't impress me at all either. How are you about to make a "modern-day" version of that movie? That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

In all honesty, Vengeance is not all that original to begin with. Don't get me wrong, it maybe my favorite Shaw movie ever and definitely my favorite Chang Cheh, but the story itself is a fairly basic revenge tale and stylistically (also in some of the plot details) it borrows from John Boorman's Point Blank.

So a remake with a similar story but a new updated stylistic take wouldn't be that bad given the right people. The problem here is that one of the great things about the original film is the ultra dark tone, and Corey Yuen can't do a truly dark movie to save his life. His closest attempt to date I think would be Righting Wrongs, and even that one has a load of comic relief in the first half.

For me the best shot in VENGEANCE! is the scene where Ti Lung dies and his death is intermixed with his characters death on stage. His final breath coinciding with a red curtain going down on the stage, the same stage featuring his character dead in the center.

For me the best shot in VENGEANCE! is the scene where Ti Lung dies and his death is intermixed with his characters death on stage. His final breath coinciding with a red curtain going down on the stage, the same stage featuring his character dead in the center.

That was a beautiful shot, Venoms5. I recall reading somewhere a critic stated when he really tried Chang Cheh could honestly fill the screen with terrific imagery/violence. I remember the scene also when Ti Lung's character's eyes were put out. :o!!! Seeing that on the IVL remaster was gory! (Especially since the old VHS always went red screen at that moment, not unlike in Men From The Monastery). Great films!

A fair number of Chang's early movies feature such imagery or nuances in character just most critics either fail to notice them or don't care. THE ASSASSIN (1967) is another one as well as SHAOLIN MARTIAL ARTS being two that come to mind. Even his later films such as FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS contains certain traits in characters that resonate even today. Such as Ricky Cheng's character treating the female like a dog while Lo Mang is a perfect gentleman to her yet she falls in love(!) with the guy that treats her terribly and (attempts) murders Lo Mang who is the honorable and respectful knight. Also, had Lo Mang not interfered every time Cheng Tien Chi confronted Cheng Pei Hsi (the scene with the bow and arrow hat come to mind) then possibly the heroes might not have ended up like they did.

Back to VENGEANCE! the use of the color white in reference to David Chiang's dress at the end is, as everyone knows, symbolic of death in China. Here, it not only represents death for the villains but also for Chiang's character as well. The slow motion scene with Chiang and the girl recalls a similar scene in John Woo's THE KILLER.

Archived