Heaven and Hell Gate

Guest Tosh

Venomchamber and I have discussed this movie in the past.

Certainly not for the average KF fan however its a film of notoriety due to its --

outlandish plot & characters, minimalist sets and its perpetual production timeline.

Here's two scans (from 1975 & 76) plugging the film long before it got scraped --

and sat on a shelf till the ol' V-boys bailed it out....

thehell.jpg

..props to Carol

thehell2.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chinatown Kid

I could always tell that this film was shot at different time periods because Fu Sheng looks really young a skinny in the early 70's fight scenes and the choreography and the actors MA skill are not as good, then in the mid 70's shot fight scenes Fu Sheng looks chubbier and his face is fatter and the fights he has with Wang Lung Wei and the others look alot better and faster. This was a weird movie and the hell scenes and monster masks looked silly but I do kinda like the film, it's definately something different.

Yes indeed a crazy film, I like it. Not something to show a newbie to the Shaw Brothers Library but...

My wife hates this film though and it is one of the few films that she will not sit through with me.

I'd like to see outtakes from the footage we didn't see. I mean look at those stills from the magazine article teako170 posted.

I scanned the stuff below from an issue of Cinemart July 1975 I had.

HeavenandHellMagazineArticleCinemar.jpg

Interesting little essay from Fu Sheng with a head shot of he and Jenny from maybe Heaven and Hell.

FuShenghassomewordsHeavenandHellsti.jpg

Fu Sheng is wearing a U of H shirt! (University of Hawaii)

Yes, good catch RW. As a kid, he did live in HI (though never attended the U of H).

Here's a photo captured from the Celestial doc when he was involved in Judo/Karate competitions in HI.

fu_judo.jpg

Great pics! I've watched this a few times since then, what can I say, I love these kinds of movies, Kung Fu with some fanasy - weirdnest thrown in, I'm all about it.

How much fighting are in these films? I have heard good and bad reviews on both but still want to check them out, I can sit through a bad movie if thair are enough fight scenes. Thanks.

kungfusamurai

Martial Club is the one to get if you have to decide between the two. Heaven & Hell has fighting, but the movie is more like an acid trip, and the fights aren't as numerous or interesting as in Martial Club. The Martial Club finale is one of the best ever for kung fu film.

KFS

Martial Club by far - the fights are outstanding. As KFS said, the finale in the alley between Gordon and Johnny is an absolute classic.

Fang Shih-yu
Martial Club by far - the fights are outstanding. As KFS said, the finale in the alley between Gordon and Johnny is an absolute classic.

If you like the "Venoms", their fighting in "Heaven and Hell" is good; the fact they were used to help complete an unfinished film is one reason why this movie gets a bad rap! Fu Sheng drew me to the movie in the first place; Fu Sheng AND the "Venoms" make me go back to it again and again! "Martial Club" is better, but "HaH" is fun for all the right AND wrong reasons!:wink:

I saw heaven and hell, there was some ok MA's mostly at the end, but as said before a real trip. I felt a lot of fighting was poorly paced and looked scripted. Id say its worth a rent just for the sheer outrageousness of it.

Jackie Fhan

Just got both of these recnetly. Haven't watched them yet but you guys have me pumped about Martial!

Hey guys - new here - but just saw the movie and loved the opening lion dancing. Have a question for y'all. Half way through the movie after the 'boys' make themselves sifus - they have a run in with a real sifu who tells his students to teach them a little lesson. Does anyone know who that sifu is? I seem to remember seeing him somewhere, but can't remember his name for the life of me.

Thanks!

in my opinion HEAVEN AND HELL was another of those movies that was a complete waste of talent--the only fights that were good were the flashback scenes---what they should have done was make a serious movie with those characters. the best word to describe this movie is IDIOTIC. well--someone had to say it.:tongue:

Wheat Thin Man

I just saw Martial Club about a week ago and loved it. This movie had great fight scenes; it's also one of the few Lau Kar-Leung films where the humor works.

Fang Shih-yu
the best word to describe this movie is IDIOTIC. well--someone had to say it.:tongue:

Even though I like Heaven and Hell, I agree with this! Whatever the original film (as production started, it was called The Hell) was specifically to be, we'll never know. If the Fu Sheng "Earth" sequence (obviously filmed during two different spans of time) is any clue, [at least] one other uncompleted film's footage was utilized in the fleshing out of HaH! (Special note to film students: DON'T write your thesis on this movie!:tongue:)

peringaten
Right on! Thanks! That's right - I remember him from Super ninjas / 5 Element Ninjas

Triumph Of Two Kung Fu Arts bills Chow Siu Loi as "Master of Cheng Lung & Seven Lucks" in its opening credits, which I guess would imply he had something to do with kung fu instruction of Jackie & the little fortunes at Yu Jim Yuen's opera school.

I've watched this a couple times now, it's a clusterfuck of a movie that somehow manages to pull off as an arthouse flick before it's time, and it has some great KF, then again I like off the wall stuff like this:xd:

I've watched this a couple times now, it's a clusterfuck of a movie that somehow manages to pull off as an arthouse flick before it's time, and it has some great KF, then again I like off the wall stuff like this:xd:

Completely agree. Even though it is VERY uneven at parts, and a complete clusterfuck with extremely odd edits/scene switches it is just a crazy yet fun movie.

Noelle Shadow Kick
The Lu Feng and Kuo Chui fight scene recollected is great!

Yeah, this movie was ridiculous but I would totally buy it based solely on that awesome fight scene.

Agreed - Just watched today (finally got it after a comment by "bratty",Thanks!).,,

I really enjoyed it - especially found the fight scene with no "impact noises" (Fu Sheng) interesting as it turned it into a stagey play type thing rather than movie fight ..

Overall - interesting watch - something different!

Interestingly my usual dvd supplier had to readd it to their database for me to buy after removing films that were not selling! That was one of them! ;-)

Archived