from Ground Zero to Image

Guest Lei Kung

Guest venomchamber

Ha!

Touche, mon ami!

Finally the whole picture is being realized!

I believe the main reason Celestial is...

skimpy with the bonus features,

no trailers,

cut back on the outer cardboard sleeves,

releasing some titles to VCD only,

no English dubs,

no more Malaysian subtitles,

trims, cuts, splices,

et cetera,

...is because they are just mass releasing them as quickly as possible in an attempt to make back some of the money it cost to remaster them in the first place!

I'm sure there will be special editions, director's cuts, more boxed sets, and better cover graphics once they re-release them again after this initial offering ends next year.

How else can they milk their cash cow for all their worth?

How many times do Paramount, FOX, and Warners re-release their stuff over and over again?

I say just give it time and all will become clear.

We'll all have everything we want, and then some!

Remember the old saying:

Be careful what you wish for!...you just might get it!

I can just see it now:

a 2-disc Chinatown Kid with the uncut version and the Taiwanese version, original theatrical trailers, English dub audio track, commentary by Jenny Tseng and Phillip Kwok,

deleted scenes, alternate ending, and a Behind the scenes featurette: on location in San Francisco.

aahhhhh...wouldn't that be nice!?

I am a patient man. I waited all this time, I think I could wait a little while longer! They say good things come to those who wait!

Maybe the Weinstein Company Dragon Dynasty label will be our saving grace! (hint, hint!)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
nothing "weird". It was a typo. Everyone on Earth knows Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder is (was) owned by Miramax. Close enough. I was tired of typing and didn't want to start a whole new category for just 1 film, so I just decided to tack it on there at the end. (picky-picky)

Heh. Actually, I was referring to it being weird that the Weinsteins would let someone else use Tarantino. Thanks for clearing that up, though.

He honestly thinks it's his film, and went so far as to tell Image he would take them to court if they tried to use the stereo English dub track he had or the trailers. Image could have used the trailers, as they are not copywrited, but they didn't want to go through all the trouble involved. But Image could use the non-stereo track via the same loop hole that allowed the old VHS tape to make it out without Brenner's people pulling it.

I'd like to hear more about this loophole; I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that using a non-stereo version of a (presumably )copyrighted stereo track is legit. Besides, wouldn't his ownership of the US rights to the movie as a whole (at the time) allow him to crush anyone who tried to put out an INFRAMAN video?

Guest venomchamber

You'd think, right?

Like I said, (The Super) Inframan and all likenesses thereof are the intellectual property of Shaw Brothers (HK) Ltd.

Joseph Brenner merely dubbed and distributed the film in North America back in 1976.

The only thing he could possibly still own would be his original dubbed audio track (his "Dragon Mom" version only, and not any "Princess Elzebub" versions) including his alternate music score.

A lot of good this would do him without a film to go with it!

Perhaps his people did indeed strike a deal with Image for the DVD release?

Either way, it exists, and I'm glad I have one.

However, I personally would have preferred one with the infamous 70s voice actors myself!

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THEY WERE AND WHAT RECORDING COMPANY THEY WORKED FROM?

I know it wasn't Titra or Titan. They did mostly Toho sci-fi and samurai films in the 60s, Daiei's Gamera films, and the Sonny Chiba movies.

Maybe a Godzilla fan would know more about this kind of stuff, as they seem to know everything about what went on behind the scenes over at Toho. Any of you "G-Mafia" members out there?

The voices [we know from 5 Venoms, Golden Arm, 36 Chamber, Chinatown Kid, Dirty Ho, Avenging Eagle, the Bruce Lee in Chinese Gods cartoon, etc.] were also heard in Godzilla Vs Gigan (72), Godzilla Vs Megalon (73), Gamera The Super Monster (80)*, and much more recently in Godzilla Vs King Ghidora (90)!

I'd love to contact 2 of them (you know which ones!) and have them record messages for my voice mail! ;)

{*when I first saw this film as a punk kid, I had this image of Ti Lung sitting in Darth Vader's meditation chamber barking orders stuck in my head that has lasted to this day! If you haven't seen this doozy, Its a stock-footage mess that pits Gamera and 3 superwomen (with cameltoes seen thru their tights) against all his old enemies who are controlled by a model of an Imperial Star Destroyer (!) that has the voice dubbed over Ti Lung's character in 10 Tigers Of Kwangtung.}

:rollin

Guest gfanikf

Actaully it was Titra handled by good ole Peter Fernedez who did dubbing supervision also on many of the films you listed :) .

Guest venomchamber

Yes, I know. I said Titra or Titan.

Peter Fernandez is the man behind Speed Racer too.

Johnny Sokko & His Flying Robot, Ultraman and Ultra 7 original English dubs as well.

Their voices are the ones with stereotypical Japanese accent voices heard in everything from Atragon to The Lost World Of Sinbad.

Example: Godzilla Vs The Smog Monster...

This Americanized version is dubbed by them and has those same imitation Japanese voices, just like Inframan has.

However, the Toho international version of the same film available on DVD as Godzilla Vs Hedorah has the same voices as The Duel Of The Iron Fist!

Titra did not dub Gigan or Megalon, as they were not released by A.I.P. but distributed to grindhouses by Cinema Shares.

I'm talking about the anonymous studio in New Zealand or Austrailia who did their international dubs. The same people who mispronounce Godzilla as "Gudziller" and/or "Godsillia"!

:rollin

Anyone know these people and where are they now?

Besides, wouldn't his ownership of the US rights to the movie as a whole (at the time) allow him to crush anyone who tried to put out an INFRAMAN video?

the stereo soundtrack. It was wording in a contract from what I understand that allowed the mono version to slip into public domain. And as I said, Brenner had already "crushed" two previous video releases of the film that used the stereo track. It makes little sense he wouldn't do the same with two other release that used a mono soundtrack And Brenner did NOT have anything to do with the Image disc. BTW, Brenner had rights to the film in the US and parts of Europe. As for dubs, I think everyone is being very hopeful, but anything is possible. Having talked to people that have actually been to the Celestial vaults, they have TONS of stuff just setting there, but they don't know where it's at because none of it is cataloged. My guess is they honestly don't know if they have the dub tracks for these films and when they find them, then they make them available.

Guest gfanikf
I'm talking about the anonymous studio in New Zealand or Austrailia who did their international dubs. The same people who mispronounce Godzilla as "Gudziller" and/or "Godsillia"!

Ah, I'm sorry I misread you post. Got up too early today. Its cool to meet a person who also knows a bunch about Godzilla and his kaiju and tokusatsu kin.

I can't tell you about the 70s period with any certainty, BUT I can say that the 90s one and most likely 84 and Biollante (with leftover actors from that time period) where done by Omni Productions headed I believe by Rick Thomas, which is still in Hong Kong today (they do the Fortune Star dubs). It may have been the same company, but the Biollante dub (the last good HK Godzilla) dub apparently has some of the same people from the Megalon dub (and apparently some of the later ones but I would have to check).

Venomchamber love your youtube channel!

Guest Atomic Mystery Monster
the stereo soundtrack. It was wording in a contract from what I understand that allowed the mono version to slip into public domain.

Wouldn't that mean that only the dub (and not the entire movie) would be public domain? Not counting the music, though; whether it's mono or stereo, music is copyrighted as long as the original music rights didn't fall into the public domain. After all, I'm pretty sure that the Berne Convention and Copyright Restoration Act would return any "PD" version of the visual elements (and any copyrighted music and/or sound effects on the audio track that were present in the original language track) of INFRAMAN to Shaw Brothers.

And as I said, Brenner had already "crushed" two previous video releases of the film that used the stereo track. It makes little sense he wouldn't do the same with two other release that used a mono soundtrack

Yeah, that is very odd. The only other possible explanation I can think of is that Brenner and/or his lawyer weren't smart enough to figure out another "angle" to use against those who used the mono version. Well, that, and butting heads with the rightsholders to the film itself isn't really the best of ideas. Thanks for the information!

BTW, Brenner had rights to the film in the US and parts of Europe.

Hhmm...you just jogged my memory about something else I had heard about Brenner: Apparently, he made some noise about doing his own INFRAMAN DVD to compete with Image's. I can't imagine that such an attempt would end well if the rights to the film itself reverted back to Shaw Brothers...

Guest venomchamber

I think this information provided by the Shaws themselves is interesting...

I dug this out from my collection as I have always found it interesting since it states British and American seperately! English is English...or so we thought!

Any comments?

shaw16mmce7.jpg

(*FYI: This is also posted in the official dub thread as well for easier access.)

Happy Easter! :D

Guest gfanikf

VC thanks for that. I remeber seeing it a while ago. I would say its a reference to subtitles. Which in itself for would be cool to see. That said no one thought any Cathay flicks were dubbed and then Colin in Canada has To Kill A Rover dubbed and all the names were changed to IRISH names!?!?!?!?

So who knows.

Thanks for the post. I love all the pics on you MS page.

Archived