Ti Lung/David Chiang hate?

Guest SunChien2004

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest teako170
I don't know what year this is...late 80's early 90's ?
Christine - That photo is from the kick off reception for CC's film "Just Heroes" (1989). There's a few b/w images of this reception in CC's Memoir book. Do you have any more color photos of that reception you can post? If anyone likes, I'll scan those b/w's and post.

Guest SBfan4life

Thanks teako 170 for the very interesting info. ! Is there more you can tell us about the reception ? When you can, please scan b/w pic's from the book for us !

Do you have any more color photos of that reception you can post?

No I don't...but...

DVDOptimumABetterTomorrow-Bonus-Cro.jpg

Just found this photo from Hong Kong Cinemagic while googling after reading your post...here is the original link :

www.hkcinemagic</strong><!--EZCODE BOLD END--

Guest teako170

Here you go Chris. The last photo you posted is also in the book. I scanned it anyway with the list of actors in the photo. Just Heroes seems to be packing some talent. Anyone have this movie? PM me if you would be willing to do a trade.

justheroes1.jpg

justheroes2.jpg

justheroes3.jpg

justheroes4.jpg

Guest SBfan4life

Thanks for the GREAT b/w pictures teako !!! I especially love the group picture of all the cast at the end...(did you notice that Wang Chung wasn't in this ? )

How was "Chang Cheh's : Memoir" book ? I probably will pick this up soon.

Christine

Guest teako170

CC Memoir was not what I expected it to be. Lots of material on his writings, politics, etc. Not much on the films of mid 70s and beyond. Still an interesting read nontheless.

Guest sevenhooks

Ditto on the book.

Interesting read, but don't expect any pontificating on the venoms - at ALL.

In fact, I think Kuo Chui gets one brief mention in the entire book.

I really dug that pic from the set of Shaolin Rescuers though.

Pretty cool.

Guest teako170
but don't expect any pontificating on the venoms
Well, lets not forget that photo on the set of the Five Venoms in which the caption reads: Chang Cheh directing an "actor" :(

To quote Rod D: "Sheesh... the Venoms get no respect."

To add insult to injury, the poor "actor" in question is actually Wei Pai -- who gets no respect for being a Venom in the first place. :\

Chang Cheh didn't comment on the period because of the amount of crap he had taken over the years from HK film critics after about 1976 and beyond. When he returned to HK after what was considered the failure of his production company, and the venom films didn't do as well as his previous films locally, the critics took the chance to turn on Chang in a big way. This is when questions about him being gay turned up, and also complaints about his talent slipping at the box-office and in his films. He was attacked at all angles at this time, so there's little wonder he wouldn't want to go through it much. You'll note even in the introduction a mention is slipped in about Chang's "gayness," then Chang denies it at least twice in the rest of the book. Considering the man was dying as the book was being compiled, I lost of LOT of respect for the HK Film Archives for that.

On a sidenote, this reminds me of a behind the scenes story I heard a little while ago. There's a film called Yang + Ying : Gender In Chinese Cinema that's about gay filmmakers in HK. During this film, there's a segment on Chang Cheh. He's interviewed by Stanley Kwan. If you've seen the film, you see Chang Cheh sitting in his house talking on camera. During that segment in the film, there's a narrator talking about the clear signs of Chang Cheh's gay films with the typical shots of shirtless fighters, etc. Then they cut to a VERY frail (I'm guessing late 80s) Chang setting in his living room and being asked about being a gay filmmaker. Chang was not told he was being interviewed for a piece on gay films, but on Shaw Brothers films he directed. Chang is asked the question, replies that he was not gay, and simply wanted to put forth strong male role-models on screen during a time where there were none. But Kwan didn't stop there, he continued to ask the same question four more times, in the film it's just once more. On the second question, the old man nearly falls out of his chair and almost starts crying while denying as loud as he can that he is gay. In the film, the narriator continues on talking about Chang's gay films as if nothing happened. But Kwan continued to ask the question two more times, until Chang brokedown crying saying that such questions were what ruined his career and they were untrue then and now. His wife came in and kicked them out of the house.

Guest Chinatown Kid

It's really disgusting, at his advanced age instead of respecting and revering Cheh for his work over the years they try to acuse him of being something he isn't and try to make a scandel or smear him. If he said he wasn't gay they should have took his word for it and shown him respect instead of harrassing him on and on about it.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Too bad Chang Cheh didn't have a bodyguard who'd kick the living @#%$ out of people who harrased him like this.

Guest SBfan4life

Thanks alot for the detailed info. about CC's book. I thought it would of covered more of his personal thoughts, ideas, fond memories , favorite actors, etc.

Linn, Thanks for sharing what CC went through. It's too bad he was treated like that...

Christine

I don't mean to give a wrong impression, if you're a fan of Chang Cheh, you need to get the book. Just know that it does mainly cover his start up to 1975 or so in detail. But it does have a bit on all his films.

Guest killer meteor

Kwan is one of those annoying jerks who ruins film studies by trying to prove everyone is as perverted as he is. Some of his comments are quite disturbing

Guest SBfan4life

Hi Everyone,

Hope you all are doing fine ! My friend Lily just sent me another picture of the guys with Chang Cheh ... anyone know what year this may be ?

DCTi21.jpg

Christine

Guest venomchamber

I always have been and always will be a fan of Chang Cheh and the complete output of his work.

In regards to all the torment he had to put up with in his later years, he did not deserve any of that negativity and/or those false accusations he received, and it saddens me that he had to deal with imbeciles like that till the very end. >:

He was a gentleman and a scholar, and is to be honored and respected.

He literally created the entire kung-fu movie genre by taking the traditional wu-xia film to the next level. If there were no Tiger Boy, there wouldn't have been a One-Armed Swordsman. If there were no One-Armed Swordsman, then there wouldn't have been a Chinese Boxer. Obviously, if there was no Chinese Boxer, there probably wouldn't have been a market for a little film called Fists Of Fury. Can I get an a-men?

We have much to be grateful and thankful to him for.

I miss you Chang Cheh. :(

'nuff said.

Guest SBfan4life

"YOU ARE SOOOOOO RIGHT" venomchamber, We have much to be grateful and thankful to him for ... a-men !!!

Christine

Guest legacy1974

hello,

wondering if ti lung and david chiang ***STILL*** are friends after all these years have passed ? They do not bash each other on interviews and seem to have nice comments to say about each other ... what gives ?

Wow... that's something I never knew about these men; that they really didn't care for one another. Just goes to show, they were better actors than any of us originally thought.:o

Wow...who would have thought that one of the greatest on-screen duos actually did not get along??? Wait...the same thing happened in old Hollywood...believe it or not, for a while, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers didn't get along either. At least they put aside their differences when they did.

In the years until now, there had been several attempts to bring them together, but to this day, they refuse to be seen together at all. They refuse to walk on the same side of the street together let alone attend some functions or share another single moment on the silver screen. There is only a chance of a snowball in hell, that both see or speak to each other again.

David Chiang, Ti Lung, Wang Yu, Chang Pei-Pei, Blacky Ko, Beardy, Yueh Wah, Gordon Liu and many others attend The 2007 Hong Kong Film Award Together ...

hongkongfilmawardsaprilis8.jpg

Archived