Vengeance Of A Snow Girl

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Received Li Ching's Vengeance Of A Snow Girl and Lily Ho's King Drummer today. Sad to say, no original trailers though remastered to perfection especially King Drummer where the night scene of Ling Yun pounding on the drums at the seaside has been brightened. In the cinema, I could hardly make out what was happening but in the DVD, I can see everything. Celestial is marvellous in that aspect. Both MONO.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Live Wire

Thanx for the info. But I must say I would be more interested in how Vengeance of the Snow Girl as a movie is.

Guest darkgold2001

Thank you for the info. I am expected. Lily Ho's King Drummer, And I will think this movie is very good.

Guest Goldenswallow06

I'm confused now, I think you're describing 'Vengeance of a Snow Maid' (1970) aka 'A Daughters Vengeance' starring Chen Chen. Probably why it didn't seem like a Shaws!

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

DOH.

This is what happens when you respond to a post after sitting up all night playing Twinbee and drinking Pepsi Max.

Sorry for the confusion.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

Yeah, it's confusing - particulary if you've only had two hours sleep and have spent the past day shooting metronomes out of the sky. Also, I could have sworn that the Ching Li movie was called A DAUGHTER'S VENGEANCE.

Guest fightlikeapes
Lol, I assume they were the same film.

alot of people do

the Crash Venom Mob dvd of A Daughter's Vengeance list akas on the back cover

-Vengeance Of A Snow Girl

-Vengeance Of Snow Maiden

& the new title card created for the dvd reads

-A Daughters Vengeance (no ')

HKMBD lists the

-Vengeance of Snow-Maid

with an aka of the Venom Mob dvd

-A Daughter's Vengeance

now HKMDB lists Vengeance of a Snowgirl

with an aka of

-A Daughters Vengeance (with no ')

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

They are definitely not the same film. A guy on Shaolinchamber.com made the same mistake with his review. He even played some clips from A Daughter's Vengeance.

I really enjoyed this one. The fights and story were pretty darn good. I have only one complaint and thats the ending. What the heck is up with the snow girl finally getting her legs healed and then become a human popsicle. I was ready for a good end fight and see her kick some tail. Overall it is entertaining and I give it 7.5/10.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

King Drummer is a drama with 2 songs sung by Ling Yun.

Lily Ho manages Chen Hung-lieh who walks out on her. She then grooms Ling Yun to take his place as King Drummer. It is a touching story with Angela Yu Chien and Yang Fang particularly effective in the supporting roles.

Guest goliamoto

I also got disapointed with the end of Vengeance of a Snow Girl but i enjoyed it overall. It's amazing to see Li Ching playing such a dark role.

Guest jmungus

@ tino: got a present for u, its spoiler tags ;)

here u go

[END SPOILER]. use em wisely

:P

on a more serious note, i also didnt like the ending much.

a. they should have come up with an entirely different ending altogether and b. theres much to improve with the ways they staged and executed it the way it was.

maybe its because the whole flick is so damn good that the ending doesnt seem on par.

whatever; vengeance is a wicked swashbuckling adventure flick with powerful, dramatic, nicely staged, original fights, li ching workin magic in her role as snow girl, ku feng and tien feng delivering fully as headmen of their respective clans & yueh hua works hard on his reputation of being one of shaws top choices to play the most noble, kind, reasonable and dedicated swordsman heroes.

im having minor issues with ming zhu (chiao chiao`s character).

shes the poster girl of convenience; always happens to pop up at crucial moments, going undetected but gathering all the valuable intel she could ask for. clearly lo wei`s go-to-gal to move the plot along.

i couldnt help a big smirk at one particular scene- once again, she just miraculously happens to arrive at the place to be at the right time; completely out of the blue i might add (for like the 3rd or 4th time) and her character actually says (s/t like): "how fortunate and convenient we re running into them here again"...... :x :\ yeah right, whatever u say lady

great entertainment, not to be missed.

Guest Live Wire

Sorry to say that, Vengeance of a Snow Girl was a big disappointment. The start into the movie was kind of promissing. A handicapped girl on a revenge mission. Wow, great idea. But after some nice fights and storytelling the story changed the direction into the healing of the girls legs. That was imo absolutely laughable. Just look at the set design. The volcano scene and the ending on the snow field are one of the worst I have seen. And the quality of the few fights in the second hour is not so great either. With this movie Lo Wei once again proves that he was one of the weaker shaw directors

the story changed the direction into the healing of the girls legs. That was imo absolutely laughable. Just look at the set design. The volcano scene

I prefer dead serious flicks all the way too, BUT you've got to remember to keep director's intentions with a given fairytale storline in perspective to enjoy films like VOASG a little more than otherwise. I agree this film could've been conveyed a bit more realistically near the end, though on the other hand, these sorts of sets ie: Web Of Death, Bat Without Wings, or even on a little more of the realistic fairytale side King Cat, all of these films are ridiculous in one way or another, but they're still cool as hell.

Guest Live Wire

I´m a big fan of Chu Yuan and have no problem with fairytale like sets. But in case of VOASG the sets look too cheap and in a bad way artificial.

Guest Steve Barr

Li Ching more than makes up for her lack of action in The Long Chase with her performance here as a crippled avenger. ;)

Her parents killed and herself crippled by four martial artists who wanted to take a powerful sword from them for "safekeeping," she comes after them a decade later for revenge, sweet revenge.

Li Ching does a fine job as the crippled swordswoman, and is heavily involved in the fight scenes. The movie is a bit too long (almost two hours) and features some poor costumes and SFX.

Qualified recommendation.

Great film. Especially the first half of the film. It does get a little silly at times with the plot and storyline near the end, but still a very charming flick.

A must have for any Li Ching or Yueh Hua fan.

Guest sikmao

just checked this one, myself. i agree. first half was cool & then...?? what cracked me up, was how Yueh Hua's character could JUMP & FLY AROUND, no problem, thru out the movie until the volcano scene!! all of a sudden he's got a problem CLIMBING OUT of it!!! why not use his 'hing gung', (lightness skill), & jump out??! i mean, wasn't it bad enuff that he had gotten STABBED THRU THE HEART & SURVIVED?! LOL!!! yet, of course, we have to suspend all belief in "normal" physics. i know this. it's just the 'continuity' of the character's ablities, that i'm complaining about!!

yet, overall, i enjoyed it!! Li Ching's facial expressions were also quite entertaining!! like how she would smile, right before TAKING YOUR HEAD OFF!!! LOL!! that was hilarious!!! that & the way she would just GLIDE across the floor!! what a crack up!!! not being a big Li Ching "fan", i am walking away with a nice appreciation of her acting abilities. Great job!! imho.

Guest Markgway

I agree Li Ching made the movie and brought a lot to the role.

I'd just like to change the ending a bit. I don't mind tragic endings but this one didn't totally work and IMO needed slight changing.

Here's what I would've done:

Yueh Hua is on the verge of being killed in battle. Li Ching knows she can walk out cured but decides to give the pill to him intentionally fully aware of her sacrifice (in the film it seems like she forgets she still needs it thus it's more a mistake than a sacrifice). When Tien Feng comes along he persuades his son to leave as there's no point losing two young lives. Yueh agrees but vows to a frozen Li Ching never to forget her before going home broken hearted.

Not radically different but a little better perhaps?

Archived