Why did Tang Chia only direct 3 films anywhere?!?!?

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

This guy is absolutely amazing why did he only direct 3 films anywhere. I watched Shaolin Intruder last nite (Expect a little write up later) and it was amazing, creative fights (and fun but not excessive use of wirework), fun characters, the 1500th use of that gambling set with the domianos on the wall (seriouslly I've seen 3 movies with it just this week). I just can't imagine why he didn't direct more than 3 films anywhere. I really think he could have been one to take the Shaws through the 80s, lord knows he would have been great in the 90s.

Any other fans of the Tang Chia, trilogy of awesomeness?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

Huge Tang Chia fan here... Love this guy. As I've seen and heard stated several times, Tang Chia didn't want to direct particularly they say... He was happier doing his thing choreo style, Shaws had to push and coerce him into directing. Whatever the case of this reluctance, he MORE than delivered imo - even if directing weren't really his thing... I guess you learn a thing or two from hanging out with Sun Chung all the time for one thing...

Guest jmungus

a trilogy of awesomeness indeed. my fave of them is the prince.

as to why he didnt direct more- not too long ago, some knowledgeable fandomer answered that very same question, saying that tong hated being at the helm directing.

i guess some ppl are born race drivers and others prefer workin on the engine back in the garage.

*edit* oops, peri was faster. hou speedy-response gung. :b

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

So what are the other two movies Tang Chia directed. I think the question should be what is the third film after Shaolin Prince and Shaolin Intruders that Tang directed?

I saw Shoalin Prince again last night and noticed he was the director.

Did he play the head monk who fought Derik Yee in Shaolin Prince?

I know he was also a monk in Shaolin Intruders. Both of these fights were very similar in there execution.

GD Y-Y

Opium and KF Master.

I have an interview with Tong Gai that I've been meaning to scan and post. In it (as peri & jmungus previously mentioned back in '07), TG stated how he disliked being a director (hence the low output). He felt his lack of education (not experience) was the reason why he didn't pursue it further. Its too bad because as a director I thought he truly excelled.

I need to dig this up and get it online. Lots of good interviews in that book from Pops to Yuen to Sammo, etc...

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

AHHH> Opium and KF Master. An interesting outing but I thought some of the fights were over-cranked a bit.

Thanks Teako.

In answer to my question was Tang in Shaolin Prince and what character did he play?

GD Y-Y

thelastweaponmaster

Hi Teako;

Just curious, what book are you referring to which has all these interviews? Thanks.

Opium and KF Master.

I have an interview with Tong Gai that I've been meaning to scan and post. In it (as peri & jmungus previously mentioned back in '07), TG stated how he disliked being a director (hence the low output). He felt his lack of education (not experience) was the reason why he didn't pursue it further. Its too bad because as a director I thought he truly excelled.

I need to dig this up and get it online. Lots of good interviews in that book from Pops to Yuen to Sammo, etc...

Hey Golden Dragon

ref: Your question, yes Tong Gaai is in Shaolin Prince and plays a Shaolin monk, he has the first fight with Derek Yee when he arrives at Shaolin-Derek has the "magic" Gim/straight sword and Tong Gaai has double broadswords and a really bad haircut, only bald down the middle.

Hi. Just wondering if anyone else has been successful in ordering any of the publications from the HKIFF site. Please let me know.

Just might try ordering from the site directly then. Thanks.

I wasn't successful, and I had to get mine elsewhere. They may have fixed the problem though.

thelastweaponmaster

Hi Asmo. Just wondering, where did you get you from? And was it for a reasonable cost?

Thanks.

I wasn't successful, and I had to get mine elsewhere. They may have fixed the problem though.

Archived