Judgement of an Assassin

Guest pressureworld

Guest pressureworld

Hello to everyone I have a low number of IVL shaw films among them Sun Chung's Judgement of an Assassin which I loved, im trying to beef up my collection an wanted to know what other shaw sword play films are this good thanks for any help

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brigadier Chow

Here are some reccomendations:

Legend of the Bat

Bat Without Wings

Bastard Swordsman 1&2

Lady Assassin

Secret Service of the Imperial Court

Full Moon Scimitar

Soul Of The Sword (Ti Lung)

New Tales of the Flying Fox

Swordsman & The Enchantress

Return of the Sentimental Swordsman

The Roving Swordsman

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Have Sword Will Travel

The Duel

King Cat

Human Lanterns

Death Valley

Bells Of Death

Bat Without Wings

Legend Of The Fox

Guest peringaten

Get more Sun Chung wuxia! Shaw's best martial director imo... Avenging Eagle, Human Lanterns, Devil's Mirror and Rendezvous With Death are a good start - all have a slight edge on Judgement Of An Assassin, at least I reckon!

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Yep check out Sun Chung, Proud Youth is a corker, Avenging Eagle is his masterpiece and Human Lanterns is just one of the best films ever made :D

Guest Iron Boat

Some great films

Avenging Eagle

Proud Youth

New One Armed Swordsman

Killer Constable

Soul of the Sword

Death Duel

Magic Blade

Guest jmungus

strikes me as odd theres a thread entitled "judgement of an assassin" and in it, theres lists of some random personal faves of fandomers :x ;)

Guest pressureworld

list are what i needed, i don't want to waste money and figured you guys would know what sword films were as good as judgement of an assassin, which I felt was great. I want to thank everyone so far for all the help

Guest jmungus
Jmungus, use caps lock (located on left side of keyboard). Thank you!

never !! :eek (when im on the www... yall aint worth the effort :b )

:hat

to add s/t productive to this thread for a change, imo its impossible to recommend anything else, but... well... the other sun chung gems ( www.hkcinemagic.com/en/people.asp?id=549 , first get devils mirror, then work your way up starting from JOAA, and keep a lookout for "to kill a mastermind", its s'posed to come soon).

im mesmerized by the flawless combination of smart, entertaining choreo and progressive photography workin together, as well as sun chungs always better than solid pacing of the story and his fresh approach to kind of recreating the jiang hu world and its (ever recurring) archetypical protagonists.

NO OTHER DIRECTOR* can deliver the same; LKL did on a few occassions; but i love SB`s other main directors` pictures for other reasons.

some of the venoms flicks come close to it, provided that CC had had a halfway decent script and had been inspired and motived higher than average (talkin bout his later phase)

[*caps lock action dedicated to the gung fu brother tino]

ps: how is "lady exterminator" ???

Guest sevenhooks

Don't forget of course, TO KILL A MASTERMIND.

Which stands up with the best of anything else Sun Chung has ever done.

Hopefully Celestial will get around to releasing it one of these years...

Guest peringaten

What says consensus on his Revenge Of The Corpse? Forget speculation as to whether it'll see the Celestial light... Are we talking too rare an artifact to have been seen on the circuit unremastered? Someone tell me things about this flick...

Guest sevenhooks

I have a mini review in one of my old Fantagraphic/Jade Screen back issues I believe. I'll see if I can't "dig" it up.

From everything I can recall however, there's never been anything too glowing said about it.

As to whether or not it's ever surfaced on tape, I don't recall.

I'm pretty sure thay anything I've ever read about the film came as a result of theatrical screenings.

Guest BKarza

Revenge of the Corpse aka Bloodthirsty Dead is... I would put it at the very bottom of my SC list along with Kid with a Tattoo. It's more of a horror/revenge/ghost-ish type movie. It has one fight. That's not really a problem but it doesn't contain any of the SC hot stuff. It doesn't have that visual aspect that he always brought. It's rather flat.

Pai Piao is good and engaging for the time that he is onscreen. Matter of fact, all of the stars play their roles very well. It's the movie itself that just doesn't do it.

Guest peringaten

Interesting stuff... thanks. To be honest my interest is peaked on any Sun Chung, so I'd want to check it out regardless, but it's nice to get a little background and opinion. Just out of interest, where did you see this BKarza? Cheers.

Guest jmungus
Check out the Bloody Escape

i found that one to be a bit of a letdown.

afai understand, its a sun chung/chang cheh co-direction, and it does have CC written all over it.

cant point out anything specific right now, but the BE just didnt feel right for me.

we re still talkin 'quite decent movie' here, not that theres any misunderstanding; besides, ive only seen this once, so a definitive opinion will only be available after the rewatch; but one thing`s sure: theres very little if any 'trademark sun chung' in BE and imo its not on par with any of either CC`s or SC`s really good ones (let alone their masterpieces).

Guest Iron Boat

Yeah, thats why I said check it out, for the curiosity of it....to me Bloody Escape its the Blueprint for Avenging Eagle....

Archived