The Censorship of Cheng Cheh's Films

Guest gfanikf

Guest gfanikf

Hey,

I looking for info on the censorship of CC's films during their original HK release (no foreign distro, unless they were uncut). I figured this would make a nice article for Cheng Cheh month.

Now I know that

One Armed Swordsman

Golden Swallow (I think)

The Assassin

Vengence

All had parts that the color was removed from the scene.

Are there any others I'm missing.

Apparently The Water Margin or the Heoric Ones had a ton of violence that was in the German version but not in the HK one.

I know Boxer Rebellion was cut for political reasons.

I have a feeling I'm missing a ton of others andthe stories and cause and effect of it. So please if you can fill me in do so. I will give your proper credit in the article.

TIA

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway
All had parts that the color was removed from the scene.

I thought Chang started doing that with Heroes Two?

I don't think those earlier films were censored.

Guest gfanikf

Yep check the un-remastered clips show in the IVL The Master Doc. Heroes Two had the flash of red like in Crippled Avengers, the early swordplay ones had the screen go black and white.

Guest Markgway

I see.

I assumed that because the late 60s films were so bloody the HK censors stayed out of it -- unless extreme.

Did they single Chang out?

Guest killer meteor

I've seen a clip from a theatrical print of The Assassin where a gory moment is in black&white. On the DVD, it's in full colour

Guest morgoth

I figured it was his choice to use the red screen filters in Heroes Two. I thought it was a nice touch. Some of his later movies didn't do as good of a job using the red filters.

Guest gfanikf

I saw a clip of that today and I have to say man does it really grab you. Same in crippled avengers. Plus side is it also saved on sprecial makeup effects since the scene wouldn't be as detailed as without the filter.

Guest Wahlumkid

a lot of Cheng Cheh's film had color taken out or added red tone.

I didn't understand his purpose until I saw some interviews about the people used to work with Cheng Cheh.

Its not censorship! It is his style. He wanted to look like that!

Its like the slow motion in a lot of his films. Its part of his style! Trademark!

A lot of HK movie directors called Cheng Cheh's style very romantic!

Some of his early works is indeed - romantic!

Archived