Enchanting Shadow

KyFi

Ok, it's taken me about 4 years, but I finally watched my first non-martial arts Shaw movie--The Enchanting Shadow.

I thought it was a very enjoyable, well-filmed little ghost story--it reminded me a bit of a low-key Hammer film. It was a bit slow, and wasn't too scary, but it had some great atmosphere and a nice appearance by the evil ghost-witch at the end. Anyone else like this one?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Isfahani

Yep.

I got it as it was cited as an influence, or was the predecessor to on "Chinese Ghost Story"... I like it.

Most of the HK horror I have seen isn't all that scary. I got Bride from Hell, too, which from the cover looked like it might deliver but was about the same level as 'Shadow.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I was wondering about this film. Is this film maturely and very serious with how it's told?

On another note, Portrait In Crystal being released 4/19/07 Linn has mentioned this film as a promising ghost/horror Shaws film. I am very anxious to see.

Yep, I would say it's quite a mature and serious piece--I thought it was kind of quaint in the way that the mid-60's swordplays like Temple of the Red Lotus are, with a slow pace, colorful sets, lots of traditional music, and noble, chivalrous characters. If you've seen A Touch of Zen, it actually reminded me a lot of the first half of that one, where the scholar and his mother lived in the "haunted", abandoned fort---except in Enchanting Shadow it really is haunted.

Guest venomchamber

FINGER OF DOOM was really good too!

Their horror films set in mondern day (read: 70s) tend to be considerably more scary and/or entertaining since they have a bit more sleeze (read: exploitation) added to the mix!

You were right on the money when you mentioned GHOST EYES, as I was surprised at how good that one was!

If you want scary (I would substitute the term 'disturbing' here) I suggest these flicks:

BLACK MAGIC,

BLACK MAGIC PART 2 REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES (*postponed from an earlier release date and not yet available on DVD, but you could watch it on JAMAN)

SEEDING OF A GHOST (*not yet available on DVD)

KILLER SNAKES

GHOST EYES

BOXER'S OMEN

OILY MANIAC (just plain weird!)

and THE CRIMINALS for their perverted nail-biting violence. (*Poor Shih Szu :( )

I wasn't that in to this one, though it was apparently somewhat influential.

A good one from the old old school is "the grand substitution". it's called an opera but it doesn't have any singing or fighting in it. it's honor and sacrafise, chivalry that sort of thing. very moving

Guest venomchamber

THE GRAND SUBSTITUTION is great...I would also suggest THE LAST WOMAN OF SHANG as a marvellous example of an old-school epic Shaw production.

I really enjoyed The enchanting ghost and The last woman of Shang when I watched them, these are very good movies even if they are not kung fu movies !

Finger of doom is great, and The ghost eyes and Oily maniac are good ones too.

I didn't like Boxer's omen : there was a really disgusting scene in it and is spoiled all my viewing of this movie !!

The criminals and Seeding of a ghost were correct and I still haven't watched Killer snakes.

Archived