Got a question for Lo Mang?

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

Can't make it to the Philly event this August for one reason or the other?

Wish you could have a one-on-one with the Toad? Well, here's your chance.

Earlier this evening, I was on the phone with Rick Hopkins who is putting together this event. We're in the beginning stages of preparing a video interview with Lo Mang, tentatively titled "Beyond the 36th Chamber: A Casual Conversation with...."

Unlike standard interviews where its just one person asking whatever questions they feel like, this will be much more interactive:

"Joe Smith from Cincinnati has been a fan for 20 years and he wants to know...."

The video interview will be incorporated into the DVD that Phillywood will be producing for the weekend event.

The more interesting the question they better chance it has to be used in the interview and you don't have to limit your questions to film. Just please try to avoid asking generic things such as "What's your favorite...?"

Also, the more questions you submit the better chance one or more will be used. I'll be meeting with Rick sometime next month to iron out details for this interview.

So, got a question for Lo Mang? Post it here or send them to venoms@teako170.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HANZOSTEEL

"What happened to Sun Chien? In an interview i read with Kuo Chi nobody seems to know and it seems he vanished

of the face of the earth"

Guest teako170

That question is a definite. Hopefully he might have the inside track on him.

I forgot to mention, please list your first & last name and your hometown as part of your question(s). If wish to remain anonymous, that is fine or if you don't want to post this information in a public forum, you can always send it to me via email. Thanks.

Guest Shaolin Patriot

Great suggestion. Rather than list my own name, I'd like to speak on behalf of the fans. Some questions that instantly come to mind would be:

- What was your impression working under Chang Cheh; was he a mentor/father figure, as described by so many other actors?

- What was your most challenging role and why, while with Shaw Brothers?

- What was your most memorable moment working with the Venoms?

- What is the specific name of martial arts that you practice, how long have you been practicing and what constitutes your training?

- How do you feel about contemporary martial arts productions outside of Hong Kong and what martial artist is your favorite?

Guest venom10463

To answer Shaolin P question aout what style Lo Mang Practice. Lo Mang practice southern mantis fist. He's been studying since he was 13 yrs old. In an interview I read online, Lo Mang said he doesn't used weights to train... he said he exercise using the branches and trees outside.

Some questions for Lo Mang:

Which other venom did u enjoy working with the most?

What do u think about today HK film industry?

Except for Crippled Avengers, Invincible Shaolin & 2 Champions of Shaolin, how come none of your other characters made it to the end?

How was it working with Leung Kar Yan on the set of Secret Service?

Would u consider making a movie in the U.S.?

Akim from Sacramento, CA

Guest EvilMantis

His style looks nothing like northern mantis, whatsoever. I learned some northern mantis in China, so am quite familiar. He probably practice southern mantis. Good question to ask the man himself.

Guest EvilMantis

And I know this is a cliche, but I'd ask

what does he think about Bruce Lee, as a movie actor, martial artist and person?

Guest monk sante

What are your thoughts on the Martial Arts films being made today in comparison to the 70's and 80's?

Santos from Boston, Mass.8)

Guest Chinatown Kid

Who do you think was the most talented Martial Arts wise of the Venoms group and why?

Charles from North Carolina

Guest italdesign

I would like insights from the great Lo Mang on:

-Reflecting back on your career--and on the evolution of the industry as a whole--what do you wish would have happened differently?

-Can you describe what your IDEAL martial arts film would look like?

Greetings,

ital

Guest BKarza

His style is not northen mantis. It's southern. Someone brought that up a while ago. I had to delve. Southern mantis does not take on the hand styles, finger holding, or seizing of northen mantis. It's more in the line of what he has done on screen. It's arm strength and fists for the most part.

What really made me curious was that he didn't use weapons. I know that northen mantis uses quite a few weapons and figured that he would have been pretty adept at weaponry. Nope.

Google southern mantis for more.

Guest CLFNole

His style is definately lam tong long (southern praying mantis). If you are familiar with kung fu the style was very clear in Invincible Shaolin, although they do mix in some other stuff to give it more flare as southern mantis isn't the most exciting thing to watch.

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Question One

What were your feelings when Shaw Brothers closed down the studios at Shaw Movietown in the mid 1980's?

Question Two

What was the general feeling among all the people who had been part of the magic knowing all the films they

had made ended up being locked up from the public at the beggining and also the end at 20 years.

Follow up Question

Did you ever think you movies were going to be seen?

Follow up Question

And also what do you think now that they are remastering all the movies, what's it like for you now?

And Finally

For the first time in the USA many thousands finally have a chance to be properly introduced to the films of Shaw

Brothers;

In General how does it feel knowing that so many Americans are very excited and come to love your work and

the films of Shaw Brothers.

Guest gfanikf

Mandatory Ebola Syndrome Questions

What was it like working on Ebola Syndrome?

What was it like to act with Anthony Wong?

What was it like doing outrageous love making scenes?

Have you watched the movie since you made it?

MISC

If you could have said something to Chiang Seng before he passed away what would it have been?

What is your repsonse to claims by Robert Tai that Cheng Cheh was a poor director often not caring about the films (and sleeping on the set) and that he was responsible for the Venom films being good.

Ian Friedman from Bala Cynwyd, PA

Guest teako170

Appreciate the input guys. I'm sure to ask him to clarify his style (and the other styles he has studied).

iron flag: He has mentioned in an interview his favorite film was Five V but I will try to see if he can expand upon that.

Keep the Q's coming. The more obscure, the better....

Guest Lei Kung

I didn't know Lo Mang was in Ebola Syndrome. Guess I'll have to rewatch it.

Can you sit down and watch any of the movies you made and enjoy them as a film? If so which ones?

If applicable, what was your drink/drug of choice?

Did you find Chen Cheh's villanizing of the Manchus excessive?, or nobel?

Have you ever been challenge on the street by fans wishing to test your ability?

Did you ever keep pet praying mantids to learn from?

Ian from Kansas

Guest Isfahani

Question:

What did you (and the other Venoms) think about some of the more 'flashy' costumes that you wore in some of the

films ?

Question: (I'll add to this one, sorry)

In General how does it feel knowing that so many Americans are very excited and come to love your work and the films of Shaw Brothers, whereas the present day Hong Kong film fans don't seem to take much notice?

Good Questions thus far.

I'd like to know what he thinks about all these SB remakes, especially the 5 Venom remake.

What are his thoughts, him being a KF icon, on the disrespect (well, that's how I see it>: ) many aged KF stars in the business have gotten trying to get acting parts.

Tosh from Atlanta

Archived