Death Duel (1977) Full Review

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Guest HANZOSTEEL

Death Duel

I think my favorite director is Chur Yuan now, before it was Chang Cheh but for my own affinity

it is dawning on me that I am more captivated by the moody limelight, the somber tone, the penetrating

struggle of fallen and climactic heroes.

It's like music you can’t really hear but see, a recurring theme, a verse being whispered and floating up

like smoke in The night. These heroes, so often they come to rest like a shooting star on the land filled

with cursed and lost souls But because of personal struggles and the way their life is destined to play

out they are the ones the majestical Spotlight shines down upon to reveal the hearts and unleash the

calling within. They come to rest like a star but there Is no rest for them.

They roam through night and day sleepless through this land of hopelessness, this land of whirring

smoke, of glinting swords Not so much unlike spectres. When it's day nothing happens but when it's

night just across the facade of nothing Comes the color.

In their hearts truth, on their chest adorned extreme justice like a necklace that never sways, and

flowing through the Mouth a chain of sobering words to ring through the hearts of others like a chime.

I have never noticed anything so resonating in a Chang Cheh film it's interesting the spin he puts on

the direction Of film. The land of heroes; To spite the name and despite the colors found floating

whimsically through most of Chur Yuan’s movies, the air is often bleak.

Heroes dead coming back, bursting through wooden doors like gates their entry, themselves roving

he night when so much is roving within their own hearts. Things that make them men to remember.

In Death Duel Derek Yee takes the helm single handedly. Ah Chi (Derek Yee) plays somewhat of a

Tempest unleashed upon this land called Zhang Zhou (legendary place or palace of Heroes). What’s

fabulous is he Looks Fabulous for the part. I’ve referred to Derek Yee before as the Superman

Of Shaw Brother and for this role there was hardly anything adrift to belie these words spoken.

Synopsis:

The Anti-Climatic obsession with Ruling the martial world again comes into play:

In this film Ah Chi (Derek Yee) has willingly laid down and left of his title as ''Third Master'' a ranked

fighter and Supreme Swordsman a legend in the martial world. He does so for one reason he is

tired of the people he has had to kill in The past who want to challenge him. The conflict of interests

climaxes for him and it's just too much. On one hand He is supreme, super talented holding a

gleaming sword but in his other hand a curse because he is forced to kill Hundreds of people who

want to challenge him to a duel.

Faking his own death and amidst the struggles he chooses to stomp out this fire and walk away from

the Life like he was never there. Like ashes flickering out from some fire.

The past along a trail fire beneath his boot he seeks a life among the mundane, forsaking money and

fame. He starts to work in a brothel scrubbing stairs. A mute offered him a meal and the woman there

hardass that she was asked and I quote. "How are you going to pay for that!" He goes along willingly

wanting to blend in but soon There is trouble and he is forced to use some skill. Soon people are

coming to Challenge him but they cannot seem to beat him.

Throughout the night it is rumored that ''Third Master'' is dead. Meantime He meets a girl named

Hsiao Li and together they fall Deeply in love beyond the wreckage, this aftermath of struggle.

Without so much as a breath or a tempo missed... Another rumor....

Trouble.

Yen Shih San (Ling Yun), peerless ranked Swordsman has been searching to test ''Third Master"

(Ah Chi). Through the air like mist the news comes to him lifting his hollow eyes. Hollow except for

the Glow, the Clutch of power and the Supreme Might of master nothing else exists.

A star fallen from underneath the moon on sleepless nights, a sleepless roving swordman himself ,

in the land of hopelessness a spectre of the night. Cursed and Blessed single stroke.

Living on the outskirts of life Driven and upon hearing conflicting stories about the validity of Ah Chi's

death he feels a need so strong in him to challenge him he not only sacrifices the freindship formed

between him and Ah Chi but sacrifices his very life and challenges him to a Duel, A Death Duel.

One must die.

ROLL CREDITS

I enjoyed this film so much i cannot measure it, i would also recommend Clans of Intrigue

and The Magic Blade.

9.5/10

Review: Sergio Marquez aka Sleepman

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest wuxiamaniac

Great review, however, please keep in mind that the story was adapted based on Gu Long (old sp: Ku Lung) novel, a master in creating the moody feeling you see in many Chu Yuan's swordplay films through simple words, Chu Yuan succesfully brought it to life in his movies, though Chu Yuan changed parts of the story to accomodate the theatrical 90-min film.

Iron_Leopard

Watched this for the first time just now. LOVED IT! Everyone was great in their roles especially Derek Yee. Loved the cameos from Ti Lung, Lo Lieh, and David Chiang. Candice Yu is absolutely gorgeous in this movie. I need to see more of her in other roles. 

Just overall another great film from Chor Yuen.

Archived