just watched Snake Prince...

Guest sevenhooks

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it" :rollin

I thought you'd love this one Peri, at last we've discovered a wacked out film you don't like (much). :lol

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest peringaten

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I've got a sense of perspective on these things...

And perspective tells me this film is a Joke. Not a very good one either...

Perspective on most other weird Shaw flicks usually tells me this is inspired delirious lunacy or just outright crazy. SP felt like a crappy overly stupid moral joke and bad attempt to try out a new commercial genre. A rubbish one with no idea who to target.

Still liked it though; giant rubber snakes are reasonably amusing... I find it hard to dislike a Shaw flick ultimately, everything about the studio fascinates me... but perspective...

Still liked it though; giant rubber snakes are reasonably amusing...

Aww, come on, that was the best part of Battle Wizard:p

Wow, as much as you can talk a film up Peringaten, you sure can tear one down:lol

Guest HANZOSTEEL
Complete rubbish mate. We're talking Ed Wood standards of filmmaking - night carelessly changes to day depending on whether the scene is cutting to an indoors set or location shot. The dance routines are uninspired happy clappy pre-school dance numbers - pre-school kids probably choreoed them. The music has a little funk in its execution (fender rhodes, wha'd guitars, etc.) but the songs are rubbish.

At a couple of points Ti Lung looks a little embarrased to be in it even - like he's thinking please don't let this type of thing take off as a genre.

Pantomime. The story is silly and its execution unbalanced - people are good happy clappy, then evil - the characters are all completey 2-d - oh, Ti Lung, he's a goody - sooo misunderstood as a snake, except by his 2-d lover, just 2-d again, the only one who understands, blah, blah (incidentally getting to look at Li Chen Chi was one of the film's saving graces)... oh yeah, incidentally - the snake/Li Chen Chi love scene was stupid, and hilarious...

There's no balance of serious themes (they try and inject heavy scenes dealing with the most glaringly obvious non-enlightening morals) with happy clappy rubbish. Seriously, who was this movie made for? Kids - well, the brief nudity knocks that one on the head.

As an artistic experiment? No, just no...

Some sort of marketing experiment to see if this sort of thing would take off?

This movie was made in the name of stupidity perhaps...

This movie is an oddity... A rubbish oddity... not so bad it's great, but so bad it's odd and curiously amusing.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it and find it entertaining here and there, but good lord it was cheap and trying... And I have the patience of a saint.

Seriously - Haz - f'ck this stupid flick - get yourself some inspired lunacy like Holy Flame Of The Martial World or one of the numerous other gems out there.

Peringaten am i reading this right?

Guest peringaten

Yeah, you're reading right I imagine Hanzo...

As for Battle Wizard... Yes, I LOVE that flick, there the elements fit... Here's the crux though, I like trippy movies, not just outright stupid ones - flicks like Battle Wizard may be stupid, but they've got that dementedly inspired trippiness factor going on. Snake Prince is just a stupid movie.

Guest peringaten

Any other opinions on this flick? I'd be curious to see what those who haven't professed an opinion in this thread made of it...

Guest jkaisen41

I could have told you that earlier... the movie really sucks... I was so sucking to me, that not even the heroic, elegant Ti Lung could save the movie... it was bad s***

Archived