LA TV:Early non-theatre showing('81) of Master Killer

Guest W Hong

Guest W Hong

I kind of remember ch. 13 or some other Los Angeles area TV station showing "Master Killer". I think that was around late 1980-early 1981. I think that I can barely remember seeing Gordon L's training scenes on TV back then.

It's also strange, but at around the same time of "MK" on LA TV, another famous HK movie was shown on TV. That particular movie was Wang Yu's "Master ofTFG". It's a little bit hard to remember seeing that on L.A. TV also, but I'm very sure it was shown.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sevenhooks

Master Killer was, I believe, the first kung fu movie I ever saw on tv.

That was back in 80/81 as well but was shown on WNEW channel 5 in NY.

I say "I believe" because I might have seen Shaolin Handlock a week prior. I'm not sure. Sh#t, we are talking 27 YEARS ago after all!!

One's memory tends to slide after nearly 30 years!

I had seen other stuff in the theaters before that, some Bruce stuff, some imitatin Bruce stuff, etc., but Master Killer on tv was what really got me hooked.

Guest venomchamber

It was probably on KTTV-TV channel 11 because it was owned by Metromedia at the time.

Metromedia syndicated a little movie package known as DRIVE-IN MOVIE which ran dozens of Shaw Brothers kung-fu movies...and they ran MASTER KILLER on JANUARY 16th 1982!

...and like WNEW-TV channel 5 in New York, it too has become a FOX affiliate.

Hope this info was useful.

Guest iron flag

I know I've seen Master Killer on TV in LA but probably more like 85. One that I recall seeing on TV in NY waaay back in the day is Savage 5.

Guest venomchamber

SAVAGE 5 was on OCTOBER 10, 1981 at 3pm EST.

The only time a Master Killer flick was on as late as '85 was RETURN OF THE MASTER KILLER on January 12th 1985.

Hope this helps the ol' memory banks!

Guest sevenhooks
oh, SHAOLIN HANDLOCK was on May 22 1982.

Not saying it wasn't but I'm positive it also ran at LEAST a year before as well (on channel 5/WNEW in NY).

That and Master Killer were the first two kung fu flicks I ever saw on tv.

Are you getting these dates from Teako's page?

That list is usefull but it's also not 100% accurate, as sometimes films scheduled to play according to TV listings didn't and visa versa, etc.

Guest fightlikeapes
That list is usefull but it's also not 100% accurate, as sometimes films scheduled to play according to TV listings didn't and visa versa, etc.

That's what I remember from back then also. I was getting aka information from a guy named Tom a former resident of NY who said he keep a hand written scrapbook at the time which had local KF movie showings listed with TV guide clippings tape to it. He said he would email me that information when he found the scrapbook. That will be a year ago next week so I guess he never found it. That would have been useful if he recorded movies actually shown over what was listed in the paper.

When I was a kid I felt that Master Killer was on every week no matter what the paper said was scheduled.

Guest venomchamber

That was ME!

I didn't forget you! I have saved all of our e-mail correspondence & flagged them for reply, and I have you added to my yahoo address book as well.

Problem is I cannot find the notebook I wrote them down in. (I even clipped the listings from TV Guide!) Its buried somewhere in my archives (which is vast) and since I will be returning to NY this June, I am sure it will turn up during the packing/unpacking process.

I doubt I got rid of it as I tend to keep everything, just like a packrat! I just hope it isn't lost...I used to have friends over whom I would later realize were "borrowing" items from my home! (I have too much sh*t and need to downsize and minimize!)

Now, something I forgot to mention: In 1981-1982 a pay-TV service called WHT ran several Shaw films including Fists Of The White Lotus 2 or 3 times a day (*I watched it at a friends house) so this may be where and why you remember seeing Master Killer and Shaolin Handlock so many times!

Incidently, many of those dates are in fact correct as I wrote the dates on many of the labels to my videotapes.

Do you guys recall they would show a 10 minute preview of the following week's film after the movie at about 4:50pm, just before the "Big Apple Minute" which led right into an episode of "The Blue Knight" or "Starsky & Hutch"? I have several of 'em. Jade Claw, Mortal Combat and Legendary Weapons Of Kung-Fu immediately come to mind. They would display the date accross the bottom of the screen.

What's more, the various commercials verify the dates.

Movie trailers (aka TV spots) would exclaim "Starts Friday at a Flagship Theater near you!" and then of course there were the lottery draws for the day.

I'll can tell you this much: when they did make mistakes, it was when they ran a Drive-In Movie Double-Feature. They'd put the 3pm movie on at 1 and the 1pm movie on at 3. I seem to recall that was how I missed a couple of 'em like The Deadly Angels.

I recorded Atragon where Death Chamber should've been. Once they were supposed to run Godzilla On Monster Island and they ran Dr. Cyclops which wasn't even listed!

Luckily they didn't mess-up the Spearman Of Death/Kid With The Golden Arm double-feature! (From 1 to 5 pm that afternoon I was amped!) :rollin

By the 1985-1986 season, they began moving them to Hollywood's Finest on Friday nights/Saturday mornings at 1:00 am until the mid-summer of 1989.

Damn, I've really got to find that journal!

From memory, the last films they ran at that 1am time slot were The Kung-Fu Killers, Daredevils, which had severe technical difficulties all throughout the movie, Kung-Fu Warlords in a 2 & a half hour time slot! {from 1 to 3:30...Luckily I taped this, as its the longest English dubbed version around!

...and finally, to the best of my knowledge, Avenging Eagle was the very last Shaw film edited by Larry Bensky they would ever run on WNEW channel 5!

Guest fightlikeapes
That was ME!

Never thought you forget just figured you couldn’t find it. Which would sux! I’m a packrat also but at the time I was obsessed with comics so I have nothing kung fu related from that time.

Never know that WHT showed Shaws. We had Wometco for literally a week & a half in the late 70s. The reception was so bad my parents got rid of it.

GOD WOMETCO. At least it started me watching ch68 in the afternoons & I found Uncle Floyd.

Guest venomchamber

WHT ran several Shaw movies, but I believe they may still have been edited by Larry Bensky.

I had those written down too, in fact, I believe I still have a couple of those really thin WHT TV guides that had the martial-arts movies for that month all listed on 1 page! When I relocate my journal, I should have loads of info to share! I just hope when I find it it proves to be worth the wait!

Now keep in mind, I didn't write down every SB film from the start as it didn't occur to me to do so till after 3 or 4 of them were already broadcast.

I was inclined to start logging them because it became a continuous thing and I used to write down what Japanese monster movies were shown on the 4:30 movie on channel 7, and on Chiller Theater on channel 11.

Yeah, I was deep into the whole comic thing in the 80s, too! Byrne X-Men, Miller Daredevil, Simonson Thor, Rogers Batman, and Perez Teen Titans were at the top of the list. Then came the whole Robotech/Japanimation thing which I got all caught up in. All the while I was collecting toys (G.I. Joe, Mego, etc.) as well...I've stopped collecting that stuff over 10 years ago.

Sad part is...I still have all of that stuff!

One day I might just start selling it on eBay.

HA!

UNCLE FLOYD!!

(*Don't get me started on Floyd! I thought everybody forgot about him except me!)

I'll tell you a quick backstory:

My father was good friends with Floyd in the 70s and I met him on a couple of occasions when I was a kid!

He once gave me a boxed chalkboard set complete with colored chalk with him and Oogie (his puppet) on it. He also used to announce my birthday on the air!

My picture was on the wall several times as well! It was usually a Batman standing in The Time Tunnel, Godzilla against the Seaview from Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea, Guru from the Fantastic Voyage cartoon against Bruce Lee or some other such sillyness, all rendered in pencil, marker and crayon! He was on channel 67/68 out of NJ at the time.

After WHT went off the air in the mid-80s, channel 68 became known as U68 and ran music videos all day!

My father retired from the disc jockey business and moved to Virginia, then North Carolina (*which is why I've been down here in the first place) and has since lost contact with him over the years.

All I have left are a bunch of autographs, some taped shows and a head full of wacky memories.

Man, thinking about recording those kung-fu movies from channel 5 makes me miss those days!

Archived