So I gave a copy of 5DV to a co-worker and...

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

he watched it last night with his nine-year-old son.

I think I may have just brought a new fan into the fold because he said his son LOVED it. He got scared during two parts though. The two death scenes where Lu & Sun use surgical tools on their victims.

Spread the love. Spead the Venoms. 8)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VenomsFan

Wow you just jumped several generations. It is amazing what one VenomsFilm does to a newbie. No age required. :)

Yeah, it's funny... when I was something like 8 years old I saw the first 20 minutes of 5 Deadly Venoms (on WNyW's drive in theater, naturally) and it left such an impression on my young mind I remembered distinctly for something like 8 years until I finally saw it from beginning to end (on Channel 26's Black Belt theater, which I believe was stationed out of Providence).

It's not the best Kung-Fu flick ever, it's not even my fave Venom film (Crippled Avengers, if you need to know) but there's something about it that just sticks with you... i dunno, maybe the mystique of the Poison Clan, or maybe the mystery aspect, or the comic book/superhero milieu (the masks, "super-powered kung-fu", etc), but in any case, it's just great.

Guest iron flag

I think 5DV also appeals to Horror fans with the torture and killings. Its a big favorite with most my friends who arent big KF movie fans and all despise KF comedy.

I'm waiting out for my 5 year old newphew, he's liking the Godzilla and monster movies, I'll give him a couple years before I get him on to the Kung Fu.

Guest kungfusamurai

Did you give your co-worker the chinese language, celestial version or the english dubbed version of the film? I think it makes a difference, especially if the person is not big on subtitles.

KFS

Guest teako170
Did you give your co-worker the chinese language, celestial version or the english dubbed version of the film? I think it makes a difference, especially if the person is not big on subtitles.
I gave him the jumper dub because many (esp. kids) will loose interest if they are forced to read. I personally prefer watching a film in its original language with subtitles but I also enjoy the heavily-warped dubs that only a kung fu flick can provide. :P

Guest iron flag

The amount of effort put into the dubbing also varies. You've got some dubs that are ok, some are bad, and some are really bad.The dubbing on that version of 5DV didn't bother me. Besides, most people dont like watching subtitles anyway. Real Film fans prefer subs, but everyone else not so much.

Guest kungfusamurai

While I am a purist at heart, I found with 5 Venoms, that the english dubbed version was more engaging than the original with subs, for some reason. I'm not a person who gets bored of subs. I've watched plenty of Japanese samurai films that would bore the hell out of a jet-li-wire-fu fanatic, where 80% of the film is drama in subtitles. Unfortunately, Venoms just didn't appeal to me in its original lang.

KFS

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

I agree. For some reason this movie works best in its English-dubbed version. I'm usually quite comfortable with subtitles myself, but somehow this movie seems to flow a little more smoothly without them.

Guest killer meteor

I find the Mandarin dubbing on Five Venoms to be poor, and it has the effect of making the film less engaging. I do have the old MIHK VHS but the English dub on that sounds very quiet

Archived