Boxer From The Temple

Guest peringaten

Guest peringaten

I want to get my pre-order in for Portrait soon as (I'll just be happy soon as I know that one's paid for and due), and I'm considering Boxer From The Temple... Not joking when I say I'm brassic as... So, basically anyone in the know - is this essential? If it is I want to pre-order... If it's considered fluff, I'll save my cash for some of the comfirmed goodies coming up later... Someone/anyone? What's the coup?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jmungus

essential ? yes and no.

no, cuz the movie as a whole does not exactly have one of the richer old school kf-plots/structures/depth/cinematography.

yes, for all the other reasons. fun, quirky, uplifting hung gar type choreo- if u liked the 5 superfighters, u`ll like the boxer, its as simple as that.

expecting the remastered dvd, i havent touched my old tape in like 3 years, but back in the day, i`d ranked the "3 famous SB/lo mar kf-capers" as follows: 1.monkey kf ; 2.boxer/temple ; 3.superfighters

i was surprised to learn that apparently the old boot with RT:75mins is actually the uncut film.

www.dddhouse.com/v3/produ...uctID=6737

Guest BKarza

Essential? Very few are. The story is simple. Lo Mar doesn't get deep. The action is hot. Hsu Hsia once again doing some of the best many vs one action of the old school era. Most of the action is playful but dope. It's not just stuff. They got it in. Lo Mar plus Hsu Hsia is magic.

The lohan style is friggin' dope. The more serious fights are to be seen.

Guest peringaten

Ah, you know what, I was gonna completely bypass this having checked a pretty negative review, but I think I better know where you two are coming from pretty much... you got me convinced. I'm liking the sounds. Cheers, grabbing this now.

Guest Ching li

Wu Yuan Chun performed very well in this movie, he should have had more starring roles. I like the fact that it had that independent feel to it and not the usual shaw bros touch up. It had some heartbreaking moments, for those who has seen it knows what i'm talking about, but the end fights were very good. This is definitely a movie one should have in the collection.

Guest peringaten

Good stuff Ching Li, I'm liking the sound of it more and more. Already ordered, now to wait and enjoy. Cheers.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yeah the main reason I ordered it is because it has some nicely choreographed fights similar to Monkey Kung Fu and 5 Superfighters. I don't think Boxer from the Temple is as good as those two but still worth adding to your collection.

Guest Ching li

that must have been a misprint in the credits, because chiang sheng wasn't in this film. If he was i definitely didn't recognize him

Hello All,

I saw an old dubbed copy of the film a few years ago. It was a "just okay" kung fu film. Not enough action. But since Shaw Brother films are like "crack,:D " i'll get this one instead of the "crystal" film.

Guest Man from WAZ

I have been waiting for this since I saw that wicked clip of it on shaolinchamber.com. Glad this finally comes out :D

Guest ironfistedmonk2003

Good film IMO, not wall to wall fights like in Monkey KF and 5 Superfighters but what action there is Hsu Hsia does the business again, plus more Kuan Feng, nice.

Guest thundered mantis

Time to upgrade from the old german dubbed lbx. tape. It won´t be missed! :D

This one was light on action department, nothing really happens until the last part where the star has a group fight, superb stuff. Then he fights Chiang Tao, and then the final villain, which was a bit short and kinda unsatisfaying if compared with the other two Lo Mar classics, but anyway, I´d reccomend. I´ll wait for it to appear on cdwow and then will search for a 9,95 link!

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I have a decent old print of this filed away somewhere. I remember it being just Ok, nothing too special. I wont be buying this one myself. 3/5

Guest jkaisen41

It's a great Movie... it is one of my favorites for what it is... I mean there is maybe nothing special or classic in this movie... it's just a nice kung fu flick... there is some comedy put it is always in the right place, never disturbing... it becomes also very raw in the end... and the settings are nice too, only a few you know *smile*

I can't explain it, it's a great movie, it's like Heroes Two (Fu Sheng) I simply love this movie, he got better movies, but i love the colours, the atmosphere etc. and the same goes out to this movie, I love it :lol

Brigadier Chow

Copped it today in Chinatown, 92 min runtime means that it should be uncut, I think the German tape was rounded at about 75 min.

Guest peringaten

Lovely! A pure kung fu film in most senses. Wu Yuan Chin's Lohan forms are a wonder to behold! Man, am I glad I bought this - definitely started pushing all my buttons (in the positive) in the last third, and a lot of fun getting there. Yay!

Guest BKarza

A couple of tidbits. Chiang Lin was listed as one of the fighting instructors with Hsu Hsia. The name also appears in The Master. Chiang Lin is Yuen Tak/Te. He also has a bit part in this and looks to be doing some double work. This came before he and HH hooked up with Lu Chun Ku to do The Master.

Also, when the bandits with the red headbands show up at the restuarant, you can see Chin Siu Ho in the background as one of the waiters. First Shaw appearance? Figure this was done before he did 2 Champions of Shaolin.

Archived