King Eagle / 鹰王 (1971)

KyFi

I'll complain about this here. I've been going through Chang Cheh's autobiography and it is a little too succinct. He skips over so many films, especially the Venoms period which makes me wonder if there is another reason why he does as opposed to what he writes in the book. "The five years of my second spell at Shaws warrant little mention: the lack of new genres and recycling of tired, worn-out wuxia and fist-and-kick action films." But I also wish he wrote on films such as this one as well.

Another interesting quote on Ti Lung: [The Blood Brothers] "Ti, who was overshadowed by Chiang in earlier films, had a rebound." I'm going to rewatch several films that they were together in and compare the two. I've generally been a bigger Ti Lung fan.

The good aspect about forums like this is that most here tend to appreciate Ti Lung.

I agree. I have always liked Ti Lung over David Chiang. I would put David Chiang about the same level as Jimmy Wang Yu. I guess to clarify, I really wouldn't consider them as martial artists but perhaps actors with some martial arts training. And, Ti Lung just has that charisma thing going for him. Only BL and perhaps, LKL, had greater on-screen presence imho.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
I agree. I have always liked Ti Lung over David Chiang. I would put David Chiang about the same level as Jimmy Wang Yu. I guess to clarify, I really wouldn't consider them as martial artists but perhaps actors with some martial arts training. And, Ti Lung just has that charisma thing going for him. Only BL and perhaps, LKL, had greater on-screen presence imho.

Chang Cheh was very good at finding and fostering talent. I don't quite get David Chiang (aka John Chiang as he states in his autobiography) as much as he did, but he was quite successful with him. It reminds me when certain directors love an actor and you wonder why so much. Now I know Cheh used him because he was not the usual sized wuxia hero. Don't get me wrong, I like Chiang, just not as much as Ti Lung :D.

Interesting quote from Dr. Craig D. Reid on this film:

"The rhythm of the choreography and the weapon movements can be described as slash, thrust, slice and stab. There are no extended combinations in single shots, a style that would change drastically as the decade proceeded."

Archived