King Eagle / 鹰王 (1971)

KyFi

Ok, finally got around to watching it, and was very impressed! Nice companion piece to Have Sword, Will Travel. Ti Lung as a bad-ass hero, and stunningly beautiful Li Ching in a dual role, playing one good sister and one evil sister. I thought she did a very good job with the acting, and to me she looks pretty good with the swordplay, too---I'd put her up there with Cheng Pei Pei and Shih Szu as far as looking fluid with her swordfighting. Nice score (some of it the same as HSWT), and nice colorful sets and costumes throughout.

And like Have Sword, Will Travel, this felt like a bit of a transition piece where Cheng Cheh was moving the swordplay movies towards the grittier action that was to follow in the kung fu movies.

Any other opinions?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ivy Ling Po

I love this movie as Ti Lung is so young and cool as King Eagle. Li Ching has plenty of opportunity to display her acting range. However since the director is Chang Cheuh, he did not give her enough fighting scenes. Compared to Killers 5 where Cheng Kang really gave her plenty of action scenes, King Eagle is a letdown in this aspect.

Me and Li Ching are dating. How dare you post pics of my girl up! :(

Your girl? Well she's really been around. I just drove her home.

:angel:

Mark Pollard

Looks like I'm resuscitating another one of your old threads KyFi.

Having watched KING EAGLE again I'm struck by how entertaining the film is compared with so many other swordplay films of the era. This was Ti Lung's first real starring role since DEAD END without the overshadowing of John Chiang, whom Chang Cheh clearly favored. Ti Lung's screen fighting ability is far superior to Chiang. Watch his movements in this film. He's fast, assured and most importantly conveys strength in his strikes without the need for excessive editing or stylized camera work. I would say this is the film where Ti Lung really came into his own as a martial arts star. It's a shame he was soon overshadowed by Bruce Lee and Chen Kuan-tai.

This film contains what is now one of my favorite action scenes in any martial arts film. It's the one where Ti Lung attempts to stop a runaway cart from crushing a small child as assassins close in to kill him. First, his character is introduced as being a matchless fighter so writer Ni Kuang and/or Chang Cheh creates this brilliant device to make him vulnerable. The way the sequence ends with the fight on top of the rolling cart is awesome. I wish more wuxia films had been this creative with their action. Too often, they relied on conventional swordplay with minimal interaction with the environment/props.

I agree. Ti Lung was a truly great talent for this era. He certainly deserved more recognition. Maybe his off screen personality held him back... He appears to be quite modest.

masterofoneinchpunch

Ti Lung is great in this. He starts off with this psychotic loner that has forsaken the jianghu world. However, he will help the downtrodden. His character is quite a powerful one reminding me somewhat of Chi Kuan-Chun's character in Disciples of Shaolin (obviously more emphasis on hung fist hand-to-hand versus this wuxia film.) Cheh loved to use that type of hero -- the reluctant hero. But you can easily see the "leading man" role work well in Ti Lung. Looks like Ti's first big role away from David Chiang, though they would be working back together later that year in several films.

I agree with Mark Pollard that the cart scene is a highlight.

There is less wuxia movement here than in The Wandering Swordsman, but still a little which sometimes throws off the scene (or at least startles me.)

Honestly I think this is a good film, but not a great one (though I like it better than the reviews on HKMDB.) I've seen it twice now and I like the weapons, the succinct script and Ti Lung's performance and much more but I find it hard to get overly enthused about. I haven't quite put my finger on it. Maybe too easy of a script?

I was thinking that Deadly Fingers Wan Hau Ba should have went with his first instinct -- to night fight against Jin Fei. He really did not have much of a chance, even though he was more of a threat than 1st Chief and 8th Chief.

How about Chan Sing's all-you-can-eat-buffet-cover-plate-of-doom weapons? Those were cool. Combination of dual shields and bone-breaking sharp edges. Deadly Fingers could have done some "King Boxer" or "Three Stooges" moments.

Chan Sing's death is very much a Chang Cheh bloody scene. But you might notice that after he is dragged and faints, the next scene shows him move a few times looking like he is checking out where the horse was. I've noticed this type of continuity error when actors work around horses -- so I've seen this in several westerns as well.

King Eagle is one of my favourite movies and I was quite impressed when I watched it.

Not only Ti Lung was good in the fights there, but he also was able to play emotion scenes when he is wounded and is cured by Li ching, and later when he cures her wounds.

Superb movie...

masterofoneinchpunch

I'll complain about this here. I've been going through Chang Cheh's autobiography and it is a little too succinct. He skips over so many films, especially the Venoms period which makes me wonder if there is another reason why he does as opposed to what he writes in the book. "The five years of my second spell at Shaws warrant little mention: the lack of new genres and recycling of tired, worn-out wuxia and fist-and-kick action films." But I also wish he wrote on films such as this one as well.

Another interesting quote on Ti Lung: [The Blood Brothers] "Ti, who was overshadowed by Chiang in earlier films, had a rebound." I'm going to rewatch several films that they were together in and compare the two. I've generally been a bigger Ti Lung fan.

The good aspect about forums like this is that most here tend to appreciate Ti Lung.

Eastern Evil
That pic is from New One Armed Swordsman.

Well, there you go!

I wasn't totally sure without taking a look, but those are the clothes from N.O.A.S.

Killer Meteor
I'll complain about this here. I've been going through Chang Cheh's autobiography and it is a little too succinct. He skips over so many films, especially the Venoms period which makes me wonder if there is another reason why he does as opposed to what he writes in the book. "The five years of my second spell at Shaws warrant little mention: the lack of new genres and recycling of tired, worn-out wuxia and fist-and-kick action films." But I also wish he wrote on films such as this one as well.

Another interesting quote on Ti Lung: [The Blood Brothers] "Ti, who was overshadowed by Chiang in earlier films, had a rebound." I'm going to rewatch several films that they were together in and compare the two. I've generally been a bigger Ti Lung fan.

The good aspect about forums like this is that most here tend to appreciate Ti Lung.

I do recall reading somewhere that he was very hurt by the critical establishment raking his Venoms films over the coals - I think he felt they were out to get him following the collapse of his Taiwanese ventures.

masterofoneinchpunch
I do recall reading somewhere that he was very hurt by the critical establishment raking his Venoms films over the coals - I think he felt they were out to get him following the collapse of his Taiwanese ventures.

I would love a quote or a source from that. It would make quite a lot of sense. I mean he literally ignores the Venom films in his book. He's proud of several of his films, some more than others, but not much talk (with a couple notable exceptions) on that last stint with the Shaw Brothers.

Heck I would like more quotes from him on many films including this one.

Cold Bishop

Also, if you're reading the English, I believe his memoirs is culled from what were several volumes written in the 80s and 90s. So there's potentially more...

masterofoneinchpunch
Also, if you're reading the English, I believe his memoirs is culled from what were several volumes written in the 80s and 90s. So there's potentially more...

Thanks. I am reading the English. I'll look into that (I'll recheck the beginning to see if that is even mentioned) and take that in mind. It is disappointing though since I would read much more on Cheh. Plus the book is skimpy.

Though ""The five years of my second spell at Shaws warrant little mention" is pretty dismissive.

Archived