Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman

Guest Live Wire

Guest Live Wire

This one will be released in July.

Has anyone seen it, is it any good?

I´m a big fan of Chu Yuan, but not of his movies with fantasy in it like Hidden Power of Dragon Sabre or Descendants of the sun. What is the style of this one?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BKarza

It's crap. It's '82 Chor Yuen.(read into that) I was bad enough that I used that tape to tape something else over it, without any fear what-so-ever, that I may miss it. No fear.

That said. That will bring out the raging curiousity in people who will then blow their money in collective chunks over this muck. "It can't be that bad". "I'll give it a chance". "Death Duel was good". "Linn said he liked it". Goodbye money.

Guest sevenhooks

hell, I thought Perils was a lot of fun.

one of my favorite efforts from the guy actually.

but what do I know...

Brigadier Chow

Perils was okay, only it was not related to the other 2 Sentimental movies. Ti Lung is playing a different swordsman here. Have'nt watched it in about 12 years or so, had a terrible boot VHS. I will still pick this up this summer. I try to get any Shaw MA flick that came out between 77-86.

Guest CLFNole

I believe its the 3rd part to the Chau Lau Heurng series starting with Clans of Intrigue followed by Legend of the Bat then this one. Not sure if it is an actual 3 part series or just 3 movies with the same character/hero.

Guest italdesign
I believe its the 3rd part to the Chau Lau Heurng series starting with Clans of Intrigue followed by Legend of the Bat then this one. Not sure if it is an actual 3 part series or just 3 movies with the same character/hero.

The Chinese title "Chor Lau Heung and the Phantom Manor" has been known to be misleading. Although the main character is Chor Lau Heung, the Phantom Manor is lifted out of a different story (that of Luk Siu Fung). It's kind of a hybrid, I guess.

I liked this movie, but didn't find the story as involving as Sentimental Swordsman and Return of SS.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I dig Perils. Finally I'll be able to read the translations. This remaster has been a long time comin.

It's crap. It's '82 Chor Yuen.(read into that) I was bad enough that I used that tape to tape something else over it, without any fear what-so-ever, that I may miss it. No fear.<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>That said. That will bring out the raging curiousity in people who will then blow their money in collective chunks over this muck. "It can't be that bad". "I'll give it a chance". "Death Duel was good". "Linn said he liked it". Goodbye
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

Oh Gawd!!! :rolleyes

Guest venomchamber

The clear remastered picture quality and readable subtitles will give new life to this movie.

I admit is isn't as great as The Magic Blade or Pursuit Of Vengeance, but if you liked the previous Chu Yuan/Ti Lung collaborations such as Roving Swordsman, I'm certain you'll like this one as well.

*It is most difficult to critique a movie properly (much less actually watch and enjoy it) if the only copy circulating around has been a poor quality bootleg tape.

Guest BKarza

You know, it's funny you say that. To Kill a MAstermind is no where near one of the best theater jobs ever done but it has managed to become THE underground classic. The subs stay under the screen for about 98.73% of the time but everyone loves it.

My first viewings of Death Duel and The Proud Youth were both german language ONLY, cut, non Shawscope lbx prints. I loved them both dearly before I ever saw the re-done dvds.

Life Gamble is one of my favorite Chang Cheh movies period. That's with however many minutes missing in the beginning and a print that tends to get more washed out as the movie goes on.

A movie that resonates with you, resonates. It has nothing to do with the quality of the print, whether is lbx or not, cut or not. Many of us grew up on these movies on tv, cut, edited, fullscreen and they became our favorites. If a spanking new, remastered Perils came in a gold wrapper revealing a winning ticket to a chocolate factory, it would still be crap. Remastered dvd or cam job vhs makes no difference to a movies' quality. Remastering doesn't make a movie better by default. Plain and simple, it's burnt out '82 Chor Yuen.

If a spanking new, remastered Perils came in a gold wrapper revealing a winning ticket to a chocolate factory, it would still be crap.

I mean, we certainly get you don't like the movie, but this is clearly a case of different tastes. From the posts, it seems to me that a couple of people have said that it "resonated" with them, in what I know from experience is a mid-level camcorder job. Since that's the case, an understandable, clean release sometimes can cause a film to go up in the mind of someone who likes the film to begin with. I've had it go both ways really, it depends on the film.

Guest sevenhooks
I mean, we certainly get you don't like the movie, but this is clearly a case of different tastes

Forget about it Linn.

It's only now just starting to dawn on my dumbass that Bkarza's word is sacrosanct, period.

All other opinions are therefore null and void and invalid.

:b

Guest BKarza

No sir, not like that at all. I am speaking more consumer to consumer than anything. If someone was doing a trade or something along those lines, my respones to certain movies would be different. I don't impulse shop and I don't buy movies just because they are coming out. As a result, when someone asks if they should spend their money on something that may get one veiwing and honestly not be worth it, I'll say no or rent it.

You are very correct in stating that tastes vary and for different reasons I might add. VF likes everything and Ivy likes certain things. For them, my responses will be a negative many times. In the future, given the asker and such, I will tone down my aggressiveness. For others, if you want, I'll give you honesty. Let me not rub folks afoul. Enjoy your viewings and the weekend.

Guest Iron Boat

Well I wouldn't trust that Perils is a great film...I mean the original Sentimental Swordsman, which I saw for the first time recently...was a huge letdown. So was Clan's of Intrigue :x

I mean after Killer Clans, its pretty obvious Yeuh hua is the villian. And a weak one at that.

Guest Isfahani

I don't worry about other people's opinions on SB - Given that I have liked almost all I have seen (and that includes a lot of the NON martial arts titles, this list of "dislike or can't input" comes to a big 3 titles out of 100's) I will be checking this out for sure, even if Chor Yuan hadn't directed it.

It can't be worse than Farewell To A Warrior, and I like Chinese operas! ;)

Archived