Trilogy Of Swordsmanship

Guest teako170

Guest teako170

Watched this the other day. Not bad actually. Three contained stories for the price of one.

trilogy-of-swordsmanship-the-iron-bow-kao-pao-shu-et-shih-szu-et-tin-ching_a3870333c70ef3ca960f28a320f94a90.jpg <!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--> The Iron Bow

The Iron Bow by Yueh Feng was a decent love-triangle piece. Shih Szu was very easy on the eyes and she knew how to use that weapon of hers. Mom was fun to watch as was the kid but Yueh Hua was pretty flatline. I only wish this had a better ending.

trilogy-of-swordsmanship-the-tigress-lily-ho-lili_7c6a44082b68dec0816836c01acee058.jpg <!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--> The Tigress

The Tigress by Cheng Kang started out as a disappointment because I thought it would be a continuation of the first episode. There were some jarring edits early on. But then Lily Ho came into the frame and man did she dominate this film. Lo Lieh seemed to be on the sidelines in this one simply because Lily had such an awesome screen presence. And the ending? Very powerful. Great twist. My favorite of the three.

trilogy-of-swordmanship-white-water-strand-bolo-yeung-et-david-chiang-et-cheng-lui-et-ti-lung-et-wong-kwong-yue-et-li-ching-et-bruce-tong_b0f356dacbbf8f7162d25ae0ea479a5d.jpg <!--EZCODE BR START--><!--EZCODE BR END--> White Water Strand

White Water Strand by Chang Cheh was so-so. It was the normal CC fare with lots of baddies being slayed by a handful of heroes. Featured plenty of stars (Ti Lung, David Chiang, Ku Feng, Li Ching, Bolo, etc.) but the film as a whole was nothing spectacular.

I mention a lot how Bolo never gets any love because his character is always killed. Well in TOS, he gets 86'd not once but twice (don't let the toupee in The Iron Bow fool ya). Poor Bolo.

Overall, I recommend this disc. So, what was your favorite episode?

i have never seen this movie but have heard nothing but praise for it. i would really love to see the lost english dub version. yes one does exist as a long lost kungfu site which i cannot remember used to sell a in thier words --watchable dub version. maybe it will resurface someday. maybe dragondynasty will do this one. to bad DD wouldn,t publish a full list of thier shaw tittles.

Guest venomchamber

Mandarin with subtitles is fine as long as the picture is clear! I've already chucked by horrible videotape, and have never seen the English dub although I'm sure it was made.

(Just because it wasn't run on TVs Black Belt Theater or play on 42 Street doesn't mean it doesn't exist!)

If you liked The Heroic Ones, Deadly Duo, Water Margin, and/or All Men Are Brothers then this film is for you.

IMO, This film was yet another masterpiece for all 3 directors.

Guest Stuntman Jules

Pretty good movie. I'd say, cuteness of Shih Szu aside, Yueh Feng's segment is probably the weakest link. Cheng Kang's is certainly the best segment and Chang Cheh's is cool too, WHITE WATER STRAND feels like a dress rehearsal of THE WATER MARGIN to me, personally.

...I mention a lot how Bolo never gets any love because his character is always killed. Well in TOS, he gets 86'd not once but twice (don't let the toupee in The Iron Bow fool ya). Poor Bolo.

LOL! Ain't that the truth.

I heard Bruce always wanted to do something "big" with Bolo, simply because of his size, and believe it or not Martial prowess.

Despite the title, there's not a lot of swordsmanship in the film. The first story, "Iron Bow," is fun to watch because of Shih Szu. The second story, which is the most fable-like of the three, is worth seeing because of Lily Ho. The third story seems like a test reel for THE WATER MARGIN.

i believe there was(is) an english dub for this one as a number of people have claimed to have seen it. a few years ago i was working on a deal to get a copy from some guy in africa but it didn't workout because he wouldn't part with it. if someone does have a copy they should put a scene on youtube. i notice that slowly but surely some of the lost dubs have been showing up over the last few years including HOUSE OF TRAPS(next month).

NoKUNGFUforYU

Watching this over 3 nights, so 3 stories is good. I bet dollars to doughnuts that the first movie was an unfinished project and they said what the heck! Why not just make a couple of short stories and salvage this? Still, decent stories and Bolo tossing around a 3 section staff. You could do worse!

• Like 6